Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ysalex Portfolio Construction Thread

interpolator

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Lot of wasted space in the top banner. Tighten up them graphics!

Also, white backgrounds are gross
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    you don't tell chris holden white backgrounds are fairly standard. gray is fairly standard but if you don't want to take criticism, that's you. Add more pieces if possible.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I didn't mean any offense by it. I'm just saying that white backgrounds are kind of common on the internet, unless I'm mistaken. And I'm looking into the header, like I said. I also said I appreciated him looking, because I do.

I'm not sure what is avoidive about those statements.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    White backgrounds aren't standard for art portfolio sites because they draw too much attention away from the content and become hard to focus on. A more neutral tone will make it easier to think about your art more and site less.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for explaining that Axios. I've always heard the exact same thing about every other color except white, which is why I used it. I suppose I'll do some research about it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here is the background changed to something not white, as suggested by Axios and cholden.
    It certainly is a bit cooler on the eyes.

@Nicafornica - This is just a mock-up. I couldn't put all my content in because the file would be too large to upload. But the website will have quite a bit more content. Thanks for looking, BTW.

ZvIyH.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    'Tightened the graphics' per Choldens suggestion to see. It doesn't really lose anything by being more compact, so I suppose my enjoyment of the white space is irrelevant, so thanks for the suggestion.

i0kZj.jpg
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Reduce the size of your pink text on the top. The focus should be on your artworks first. And re-align it on the left, having a margin is a bit annoying for the eyes.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    White BG colour is fine: http://pioroberson.com/

Apart from your "logo", don't use images to display text. Pick a system font, or use an openly licensed webfont, but don't use images. It's lazy, it's not really friendly, and it'll bloat your site needlessly. Internet speeds may be faster than ever, but it's still wasteful.

Your masthead/top part of your site is quite large. Your name, introductory text and navigation links do not need to be set to a size that big. You could easily halve the type sizes there, and it'd still be perfectly legible. Ideally, you'd want to condense all that up, and try your best to get most, if not all, of your entire first image to appear in the browser (with a screen set to common resolutions). Your first image is pretty strong. Don't make HR/colleagues/stalkers have to scroll to see your first bit of content!

"Realtime" doesn't need capitalising. I wouldn't italicise the I at the end of your first name. It doesn't scan well, and makes it read as Yur Alexander.

Other than that, which aren't really major crits, this is refreshingly simple, and will work perfectly for a game artist.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @glynnsmith, thank you for the critique. I love that Pioroberson site, and you can see parts of mine in it. The scrolling home page, the wording etc, the simplicity of putting everything right there. I know I'm not doing it as well as he did, but I think the concept is worth pursuing.

Anyways thanks again for all the practical advice, I know there's quite a bit left that doesn't work, but I'll keep at it.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Texture sheets might help.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I had the opportunity to ask a character modeler at a AAA studio for advice on my portfolio, recently. I figure the advice probably applies to you as well.

Some things he liked:
    I show tri count, wire frame, texture sheet, and in-game shots. The more steps of a model you show, the more it shows you know what you're doing. Tri count shows optimization, low poly shows you know how to make a clean mesh, texture sheets show that you know how to utilize UV space and make quality textures, and in-game shots shows context for the model (how big is it on screen, what angle, etc).

Some things he suggested I add:
    If you know how to do texture-packing for optimization, SHOW IT. Break down textures into channels to show how you pack them. It shows you know about real-world memory problems, and how to deal with them.
    If you work any tricks with the material in-editor, SHOW THAT TOO. screencap the material nodes. It shows you know how to use the editor to make your stuff look good.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I did a little mock up, I think this is a clean and nice look personally.
    Remember to keep it clean focus on the art, you have got good advice here follow what dirigible said important stuff :)
    Oql2v.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    For me the pink text is the biggest problem, it's pink so it'll grab peoples attention yes it's the only item on the website that completely ignores the aligning of the other elements. It's not aligned to the left and it leaves the area marked with dots.

I think the light gray is a step forward from the white, not because I didn't like the white itself but mostly because white is so bright to the eyes.

But I like the simplicity you're going for :D
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Fuck the haters. The pink rocks!

Too much white though. Stromberg's crit seems to have a nicer balance of contrast.

Good job
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks everyone who's commented. I took this through a few revisions, taking into account your crits here, and I also brought it to some web-design boards for some critiques from that crowd particularly.

Then I took today to code and get it in a preliminary state.

So here is the site, first live revision.

Please not that in the future, clicking on the images will take you to a project specific page for that model.

The hipster girl is kind of a test to see what I should and should not put up front.

Anyways, for better or worse, please let me know what you think.

http://www.yurialexander.com

Also, I should credit pior oberson for the scrolling home page layout. I also took a couple other cues from him. I did a lot of research and his seemed to be the most straight-forward, easy to view and use site. I tried my best not to take too much, so call me out please if you find it too derivative.

http://www.pioroberson.com/index.php

Anyways, thanks to everyone who's helped so far.
    Yuri
  • Natocwal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Your web page has come out really nice from when you first posted it. Good work on improving it. I quite like the colours you have chosen, really fits well with you female character.

The only thing that needs fixing is you "About Me", its too far to the right which opens up that big line of grey on the side. Would be nicer in the center.

Great creations otherwise :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Natocwal

What 'about me?'

Sorry, genuinely a bit confused.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like you've ignored most of the feedback in this thread.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I apologize if you feel your feedback and opinion has been wasted on me. I did take a ton of stuff to heart and changed quite a lot. I feel the site and design is better for it, and I'm glad I posted here. Sorry again, but honestly thank you for your help, time, and opinion.