Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Fantasy/Medieval Town

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey all!

I thought I'd post what I'm currently working on, seeing as I could use a hand with UDK. Mainly getting reflections for the windows to work and how to get better shadows when baking lights.

This is the concept I started working from: http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=440861&stc=1&d=1219073737

Rbp4d.jpg

IEXL6.jpg

Some various props. :)
SJ6q7.jpg

I have a lot to do still. Props, more buildings, the structures on the left side and general tweaking of the existing content.

Please let me know what you think of it so far!

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I am in love with this so far! Really great. Can't wait for more.
    As for the UDK issues, I can't help very much, if at all, other than to say in the mesh's settings, there are options in regards to lightmaps, which may be set too low to get crisp and accurate shadows. So, maybe bump that up from what it is (I think default is 32?), to some higher power of two, to taste. Of course, when working, you probably just want it to bake fast, and they aren't looking so bad in this shot.
    Keep up the good work, dude.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    This looks great. How are you doing the cobblestones? Parallax?
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Better shadows as in the light bake resolution? For static meshes you can change the lightmap resolution in the static mesh properties (Higher number means larger map.) For BSP you can change it in the BSP properties (lower number means Higher quality)

As for reflections you could try to create a real time reflection or make one using a cubemap just depends on what you are going for. (Eat3d covers a basic Window material with faux interior/curtains http://eat3d.com/materials) They show the Material set up in one of the pictures.

Hope that helps :) I like how it looks right now
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    OH MAN. You just made me jizz.....

I'm working on something similar, so this is really inspirational! Love it!!
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    OH MAN. You just made me jizz.....

Hooray subtlety!
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, great start so far. There are a few small things that jumped out at me. The stones on the street are pretty large. It looks like there may be a few scale issues on the first building on the right, ie. the size of the barrel and the stairs compared to the doorway. The barrel looks like it is close to 2/3 the height of the doorway. It could just be the shot, but it looks slightly off to me. You also have a stretched texture on the wall on the left side. I know this is a WIP, I am just trying to give constructive feedback. Can't wait to see more.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is looking cool!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    That looks amazing so far! Great work. I think you should scale the ground textures down they are way too large right now. I also think you can get some more color and contrast that the concept has, right now it looks a little too overblown. I really can't wait to see more progress!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice and warm! :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is turning out great so far. Can't wait to see what you do with this. The ground definitely needs a decent amount of detail and breakup.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Totally recognized the concept from your image. Looks great!

As much as I'd love to visit this place, I'm scared I'd turn an ankle on that death cobble.
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're doing it all wrong! jk

the parallax looks weird and also from what i see i think the height map is too uniform and needs more variation. please tone down the intensity of the height map
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all very much for the feedback!
    I'm taking it all into consideration when I'm working. :)

I've toned down the heightmap intensity on the sidewalks and the road.

DrsaK.jpg

I've got most of the main models in, but some of them are in really rough states, so I'll need to tweak them now and also made props.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Man you are fast. Awesome level of detail on the building looking very cool also the Textures are very cool.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Are you going to use the same cobble texture for the road and the sidewalks? They look different or smaller in the concept. The scene is looking great!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey wrote: »
    Are you going to use the same cobble texture for the road and the sidewalks? They look different or smaller in the concept. The scene is looking great!

I will use a smoother and a bit less irregular texture for the sidewalks, but for now I'm using the same texture for both. :)

Thanks!
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    this scene is looking pretty killer already, good job
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    you've chosen a great angle for this shot and the light direction really hits it off. Even the first screen shot had character in spades the second one was just awesome.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    awesome stuff. great scene
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    The scene is looking very nice so far!

The exterior wood trim on the first house (with the 45 degree piece) looks like it has a bevel and emboss on it (on the shadowed side it has a highlight). Feels like those wood sections could be modeled out?
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    ^^your spoon is too big^^
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Great stuff! I really like it a lot.
    The only thing I would say is about the size of the pavements, they are a bit big and it makes the houses look smaller than in the concept.
    Keep going :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the great feedback and nice words! :)
    I've tried to take your critique into consideration when working.

Here's another update:

BWVCG.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, another update before I wrap it up for today!
    I decided to add the small walkbridge between 2 of the buildings.

aK8i5.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty pro-boss. The new pavement sizes definitely help with the scale. The town itself reminds me a lot of the towns in Tibia if they were in 3D.
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the lighting. It's the easiest way into my heart.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it!

The reflective windows aren't really turning out the way I want them to.
    I would be really grateful if anyone could show me a good, cheap setup for reflections. :)

Cheers!
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work dude, like your stuff.
    Would you mind telling me what is your lightning setup for this scene?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you added the bridge, and I agree the stones look much better now. I think that compared to your concept everything seems shorter. Maybe it's the camera angle but the buildings are shorter and wider than the ones in the concept. I also can't wait to see how you populate the scene, you can really have a ball with it.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys! :)

I started out with the afternoon lighting setup, but I tweaked some of the lightmass options slightly, lowered the skylight's brightness, raised the sun a bit and fiddled around with the world post process and made a custom post process chain to tweak the ambient occlusion.

I've mainly been working on my master material, tweaking my current models and adding some props, so no huge progress.
    Here's an update of the scene.

t1zq8.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work so far Wiktor! It's a really well executed scene so far. I like the un-even cobblestone, really nice detail on the houses as well.

-Cubemap reflection on windows, the just get white:d out right now, which looks alright but maybe reflections will help.

- More detail on stairs, different detail on steps, just polys, maybe add the edge at the bottom of the stairs running along the base of that market.

- Wear and tear on the base of the houses.

- The house behind the bridge/skywalk thing you might want to pull that up so that it breaks the line there. Put it on higher ground.

- Try a different skydome texture :)
  • Fromhelltoeast
    Somewhat reminds me of Assassins Creed 2. Like it ALOT
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisradsby: Thank you!

- Yeah, I need to sort out my reflections for the windows. They have a cubemap at the moment, but for some reason it turns out too bright. I will see if I can fix it later today.

- Good point! I'll also try and skew it slightly more. :)

- More wear and tear? Sure! ^^

- That's a very good idea! I'll most likely make a new building for the background that isn't so detailed. I'll make it taller as well. :)

- You want the skydome to be bluer and brighter? Or what do you mean? :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disting wrote: »
    @chrisradsby: Thank you!
    - You want the skydome to be bluer and brighter? Or what do you mean? :)

wiktor_paintover1.jpg

Maybe something like this, regarding the skydome I think you'd go a long way just having it more deepblue and a little bit more contrast. Maybe even some really big white clouds.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a nice paintover! Thanks a lot! I think that'll look a lot better!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working with my master material a lot and I've got one working pretty well with switches and so on. :)
    I've also tweaked the lighting a bit and added some props as well as adding some smaller details to the current models.

Today I reworked the sidewalk a bit and added some vertex blending masks. Gotta love nDo's normal -> height feature. :P

I hope you like the update!

gA50i.jpg
  • mars_biogenesis
    wow, it looks really nice. How much of the env are you building? Just the screenshot area, or will it be possible to walk around the town?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Looking really nice! I think it's missing something in it's composition though - my eyes keep being drawn to the middle of the road under the bridge... Maybe ad some splashes of colour around to keep the eye moving.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :)
    I'm planning on building enough to make a flythrough, or at least shots from a few angles. I've built a bit around the main area, but it's not as polished as what I've shown so far. I need to make enough props first. :)

That's a good idea fearian, I agree with you. I will try and figure something out!

Cheers!
  • Eastlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any chance we could see more from the individual houses?

They look awesome..

Also i started doing my own scene using that concept, i'm currently doing the first house but it is hard at times (i'm a newbie)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    This is looking great, mate!
    Any chance of posting the textures?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking incredible! I think you're exactly right on making more props. That's literally all it's missing is just population. Everything looks really really nice. I am especially loving the road now, since you had done the vert painting to help call out the individual lanes. The story telling in this scene is great!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the kind words guys!

I threw together a quick collage of the textures and buildings.
    I'm still working on the texture and still optimizing the buildings, but they're kind of final. :)

The textures really aren't anything fancy.
    I played around with them a bit in the beginning, making them look more stylized and with more depth, but it ended up looking better with more washed-out textures.

I will post a more detailed breakdown once im done with the scene. :-)

EptWm.jpg

(Sorry about the low-quality of the image. JPG -> JPG isn't pretty. ^^)
  • Natocwal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats looking better and better the more updates i see from you. Your sticking true to the concept in terms of modeling but have made the textures look much better than the concept.

I the only thing i do not like is: the clothes line. It just seems to go into the house with out and holder thing. Something like that is a small detail but the little things always make it look great.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the colors a bit.
    I also edited the building material a bit in order to reveal underlying bricks instead of adding dirt to it.
    I also made a new marquee for the top left to add some variation.

Hope you like it!

jrTpr.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again!
    I've been working a bit on the next street of the scene and I've also been tweaking the props and materials a bit.

Minor changes, but I thought I'd upload it just for the sake of it. :)
    Sczdf.jpg

The new street. Still very much WIP!
    nLkcB.jpg

Extra angle
    SWR8F.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the added contrast. The new shots also show some really cool detail. I think though that the bricks in the last shot are too large still and are facing the wrong direction, they should be horizontal. That spec looks delicious though and it looks insanely good.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Lighting looks very nice, I definitely like the addition of the bricks under the plaster.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    agreed, like the bricks. how did you go about that exactly? Projection map in udk, decal material?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the bricks are too large, just thinking about dragging a wagon and horses over that makes me feel sorry for them ^^ I really like the clothes hanging from the lines and stuff, nice touch.

I still think you should add street lamps or torches though ;) People need to see at night =P