Old (#26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARDLER View Post
looks awesome, but why did you put all that time into adding that stuff into that old engine? Why not use something like UDK, CryEngine 3, or Unity? Just wondering the thought process behind it :p

Good luck with everything! Hope to see this released some day
We get asked this a lot. Honestly...? We were the first engine to add per pixel lighting, before it had that huge buzz of everybody adding it. We actually had a PPL tech demo out for Quake II Evolved... Before Doom 3 hit retail.

So, seeing as its pretty much that engine that started it all, we have stuck by it since. We just have a lot of knowledge and experience with it. We started all this (Maybe not OverDose in its current form, but this type of work) when UDK didn't exist. When Unity was just a fart in a bath tub. When the Quake 2 Source release was, well, something unheard of before. You stick to what you know, and it was much easier to add new things and stuffs to an engine we knew that was as open as we wanted it to be, than it would be to make a "mod" for another game.

For example, with OverDose, we have access to EVERYTHING. Not just a few things, but EVERYTHING. Netcode, physics, master server stuff, everything. We can change as much or as little as we want, any time we want to. It just made sense back then.

Its the same thing with Rage... why didn't they just use a pre-existing engine rather than tweaking Doom 3? Because is a base, its what they knew. Same can even be said for COD, but then IMO COD needs a good kick up the arse in a LOT of ways...
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,006 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#27)
Forgot to post this:

I've since flattened the cloud sphere a tad so it doesn't look so odd.

Old (#28)
Nice hand animation lol
www.edgesize.com » pedro amorim portfolio
edgesize.tumblr.com » digital playground
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,831 Posts, Join Date Mar 2005, Location Nottingham, UK Send a message via ICQ to Pedro Amorim Send a message via AIM to Pedro Amorim Send a message via MSN to Pedro Amorim Send a message via Skype™ to Pedro Amorim  

Old (#29)
This is blowing my mind.
You guy's deserve more support!
Offline , triangle, 460 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#30)
Thanks guys, means a lot to us, really do. We have kinda been in the background a lot, people mostly pass us over becaue they just see "Oh... Brown FPS... Thats original", but we really are pushing the whole team play objective based game style with some really cool movement so that its original (Can your team mate lean over an edge, grab your hand and pull you up in COD? No :p ).

Its hard with so few people, but we've had a few really good guys contact us thanks to this post so it was defo worth it.

The question is this: Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?

Old (#31)
Gonna have to take a look at the SSS and Rim Lighting, it doesn't look quite right...

WIP - Missing weapons, ivy, foliage, dust particles, cobwebs, tits, shoes, several small ferrets and a trombone.

Old (#32)
It looks pretty good, but the plants on the floor are just there... you should have the tiles cracked, or cracking, like the roots/plants are coming out.
World Artist | Bethesda Game Studios
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,400 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#33)
Yup, I thought the EXACT same thing then :p I'll see what I can do.

Old (#34)
The new main menu screen. The finger doesn't twitch yet, which it will :p

Also the new theme tune for the game has just been completed, so pimped it shall be:

Last edited by odium; 02-18-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old (#35)
This is beyond awesome ! Can't wait to see more
Offline , polycounter, 865 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location In the Bushes  

Old (#36)
Thanks chief Glad you like

Old (#37)
Pretty awesome stuff.

Do you have any gameplay/tech demos or vids?
Offline , spline, 222 Posts, Join Date Feb 2005, Location My chair  

Old (#38)
Where will the tits be included in the aforementioned screenshot?

I didn't comment earlier but looks like it's coming along pretty fancily. It's great that you've done all of this as a small independent group. A few friends and I are thinking of doing something like this soon so it's very inspiring to me.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,649 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location San Francisco, California  

Old (#39)
For more videos, check out the YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/gavavva Theres quite a lot there!

As for tits... I would love to post some lovely bojangly ones but it will have to wait... We have some pretty damn disgusting designs for female player models, but w want to wait for the males to be done first before we look into "extra" models.

So, for now, this is the best I can do!

Old (#40)
Okay, this is looking very very cool, but how viable is this kind of development plan?

2 guys doing everything from scratch is bloody impressive, but obviously it's going to take a long time to finish. Graphics seem pretty much AAA based on screenshots you've posted, but how are you going to ensure it stays so and maintains edge over competition after say, 4 years?
Offline , polygon, 616 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Tbilisi, Georgia  

Old (#41)
Because we are being realistic. We know that in 4 years we likely own't have an edge... But I ask you to try and find me any small team game that does? Hell, most full on retail games with massive budgets wont even manage that.

The simple truth is always as follows:

Want the game out quicker? Then help.
Want the game to look better? Then help.
Want the game to always have that "edge"? Then help!

We simply try our best, but without HELP, theres not much more we can do other than our best. We do, however, have a LOT in the game thats not even ready for modern day use but can be enabled if you wish. 64 samples on shadow mapping? Multiple high ultra quality shader settings and materials? Real time reflections on things that dont need them? Amazingly high quality POM/AO? Hell, even real time light shafts can ALL use ray traced shadowing... If you enable it. Of course at the moment, if you whack everything up to insane levels then it wont run smooth all the time, but that stuffs there for now.

The thing is, we don't worry about the graphics. We worry about how it will play. Do you worry about how bad Link To The Past looks when you load it up? Or Doom? Grpahics always change. Crysis won't look amazing in a few years, even... But it will always play the same. Thats the important thing, but its also something we can control easy by changing it as/when needed.

Old (#42)
Ok, well, after some thought, I decided to get this up on IndieGoGo. I wanted to try and get some funding so that I could hire out more awesome artists to help with the project. So, as a totally shameless pimp, here is our link:

http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose

I did try kickstarter, but they were all like "Oh hell naw, we don't serve your kind here, get lost".

I'll be posting more updates in the next day or two from the actual game :p

Last edited by odium; 02-22-2012 at 06:16 AM..

Old (#43)
The Team Blur Games is doing an amazing job.
You have changed the id Tech 2 engine making it a quality actual engine. That's impressive.
It 'a bit of time I see your progress and your skills as artists and coders is equal to your determination.
Good luck.

Last edited by marze; 02-26-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Offline , null, 5 Posts, Join Date Jan 2006, Location Italy  

Old (#44)

Also did a quick new bonce. Total time 32 mins, including low/high/textures.

In-game:

Multishot ingame:
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium...ead_ingame.jpg

Diffuse only shot, no lighting:
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/cmc_head.jpg
Flats:
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/cmc_head_d.png
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/cmc_head_s.png
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/cmc_head_local.png
http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/cmc_head_sss.png

Old (#45)
Looks Really Good.
Portfolio - character artist at Torn Banner studios
Offline , polycounter, 1,026 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Send a message via Skype™ to Dylan Brady  

Old (#46)
Ignore the Marauder looking the same, its pure conincidinky:

Old (#47)
This project looks insaine and if I had any talent to likes of anyone on here I would be very quick to throw my hand up and ask to help as a volunteer . However I just wanted to ask that with the most recent picture, does the game actually look like that when you play? because as much as the screen shot looks awesome doesnt the fact everything kinda blends in a bit to much together because of the sepia tone its kinda hard to pick details out. With the dude in the corner there is nothing to point out he is a bad guy sort of thing.

Maybe a better way to put it is for example, high contrast pictures of games look awesome but high contrast games are horrible when actually playing.

Asside from that, everything about this project is inspiring to myself . Good luck with it .
Offline , spline, 213 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Milton Keynes  

Old (#48)
It does yeah, but we havent tagged real time light to the models yet (via tagging in the skeleton, full real time lighting ftw!). The enemy is orange, the good guys green. Each class/character has lights on the back and front, and are not exactly "in your face" but are enough to make it easier to spot your team vs theirs.

The lights can be seen better in this shot, but imagine them as an actual light source, and glowing:

Old (#49)
Ah right I see what you mean . You lost me a bit with tagging on the lights but I am guessing you mean basically sticking a light to a character which has real time lighting effects? sorry for being rather ignorant about this hahah.

Also the lights look pretty good, although it took me a while to spot :P. These models look pretty awesome though. Do you guys have a website or something that I can follow this on?
Offline , spline, 213 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Milton Keynes  

Old (#50)
Nice updates! That head with the balaclava is tighhhhtttt, who's the artist? Did you make that?

Two questions:

First, idle curiosity, how prototyped or implemented is your movement system? Will you guys be able to show some video of parkouring around levels in first person, at least, for the indiegogo/kickstarter?

Second, for more specific reasons, how possible or likely will attachments and extra costume elements on the characters be? I'd love to see some variations of different straps/gear/pouches over these dudes to really sell the scavenger/raider look.
!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,177 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006,