Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OverDose - Shameless Self Media Pimpage [id tech 2]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Ok, so as a lot of you may know, I currently co-run an indie team called Team Blur Game and we are hard at work on our post apocalyptic first person shooter “OverDose”. OverDose has a strong team play feel to it, lifting a lot of inspiration from Return To Castle Wolfensteins objective based gameplay, almost to a “homage” level of appreciation. Obviously, we have added our own elements along the way to stand out, such as a more advanced movement system that lets you mount/climb objects, even letting you buddy up with a friend who can help you climb up higher surfaces. The number one point of OverDose was to pretty much bring Wolfensteins objective team play based gameplay screaming into the new era as much as we could.

od_logo.jpg

Obviously as a tiny team, this is bloody hard work. With one coder and one artist, its… Tough. We have had Jamin who did our character models and weapons, but even then we have a single weapon completed and two characters (plus several heads). I’ve had to do everything else, art wise, including UI, effects, textures, models and maps. A massive project… But that’s not for here, because that would be more of a “help wanted” style post, which this isn’t as its more of a pimp (But yeah, if you can help out, give us a PM).

Before I get onto some screenshots of what OverDose looks like in its current state, please be aware of something… OverDose is based on id Tech 2. Two. That’s Quake II.

Anyway, onto some shameless self pimpage. With the renderer being pretty much feature complete now, I figure its time to ramp it up a bit with pimping. Polycount has a boat load of my heroes and people I look up to posting here, and I value you guys more than any other area of the ‘tinternets when it comes to this stuff.

WIP Area screenshot, lacking a lot of Ivy and a few other bits:
od_polycount_0.jpg

Just chilling:
od_polycount_1.jpg

Misc Bits:
od_polycount_2.jpg

Real time light shafts/pom/post process:
od_polycount_3.jpg

Missing all the foliage/ivy:
od_polycount_4.jpg

Shed load of misc objects (of a few hundred I’ve made):
od_polycount_5.jpg

My Marauder hands:
od_polycount_6.jpg

Bens CMC Pistol:
od_polycount_7.jpg

Bends CMC Pisol with CMC Hands:
od_polycount_8.jpg

Field Ops Class:
od_polycount_9.jpg

Field Ops Head Variants:
od_polycount_10.jpg

Infiltrator Head Variant:
od_polycount_11.jpg

And another:
od_polycount_12.jpg

Maybe Music and the like is more your bag? Here are some samples of the music and types we are going for created by the talented Luciano Giacomozzi, so you can experience them for yourself:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhPPsY4qrEo"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "Prepare Yourselves" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFN1VUfD8fU"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "Time Is Running Out" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQDeSbfN0ls"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "Holding Onto Humanity -- Marines Win" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqhPPREKyI"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "Mutated Victories - Marauders Win" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJqDHHmRL9s"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "Radiation Killed My Soul" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5s-mBfB1hM"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "The Horrors of Apocalypse" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfhdp_bNQvM"]OverDose Soundtrack -- "World In Darkness" - Luciano Giacomozzi - YouTube[/ame]

You can find out more on the “About” page of our site: http://team-blur-games.com/overdose/

And even more at the ModDB/IndieDB page: http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose

Replies

• Tom Pritchard
    I am blown away simply by the fact that that's running on id Tech 2.
  • schoenrock
    Offline / Send Message
    schoenrock polycounter lvl 9
    First things first, screen shots look amazing! Second thing, I think you mean ID Tech 3. On your other shots on your mod page it looks like you are using Return To Castle Wolfenstein as your base, and that uses ID Tech 3, or the quake 3 engine. I'm also pretty sure it's the modified version, as normal maps were added later to it, much later.

Either way you look at it though, what you are pulling off with it is better than a lot of other dev studios imo. This looks better than some of the ID Tech 4 games out there.

Can't wait to see some vids.

Also, what sort of help you looking for?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, we mean id Tech 2. The screenshots with RtCW are us saying "Hey, heres this area from RtCW, but remade in OverDose to show you what it would be like". OverDose is built on the frameworks of The Quake II Evolved engine, which is our previous engine creation back in the Q2 source port days.

Everything you see thats in these pics, we added ourselves. That includes per pixel lighting, shadow mapping, sub surface scattering, rim lighting, AO, real time shadowed light shafts, material system, shaders, EAX/Open AL, post processing, colour grading, skeletal animation systems, custom model formats and encoders, brand new tool sets, a level editor, sky portals, terrain systems, folaige systems with wind simulation, GUI scripting, blah blah woop woop dingle berry tech stuffs. Theres a TINY ammount of Quake 2 still in there, the whole thing has been re-written to bring it up to date. It probably shares about as much in common now with Quake 2 as Rage does.

As for what we need help with... Well, take your pick :( We badly need help with weapon models, animations as well. We have two character models, but of course need the full set done (concepts below, colour available) but at least we have two that will work "for now".

cmc_team_large.jpg

marauders_team_large.jpg

*NEW REVISED TECHNICIAN CONCEPT (Second from right)*
    http://www.team-blur-games.com/forums/download/file.php?id=153
    http://imageshack.us/f/831/mdrtechniciancolour.png

Marauder Custom Head Designs
    http://www.team-blur-games.com/forums/download/file.php?id=133&mode=view
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    That is an insane amount of work you guys have done with so little people. I'm amazed looking at these screens.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its not really fair to say its just Nicolas and I. Bitterman did our fantastic concepts, and we have of course our music composers who did things I couldn't even begin to do. But when it comes to art... It was pretty much Ben doing the two characters/heads, pistol and human hands, and me doing everything else... And while I don't want to brag because I still feel theres nothing to brag about (I'm a shit artist, I just do what I can), I've created over 16,000 files for OverDose at around 6gig's worth of content. It does help when you just love the project you work on, and OD's become a huge part of my relaxing routine :)
  • schoenrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn! well congrats on the overhaul. so how does the level editor work? any comparison to the UDK? Id love to work on environment stuff, I'm not much of a character artist, mainly a hard surface and environments artist.

I just can't get over how amazing these shots look, and even more amazing considering the fact that you guys completely redesigned ID Tech 2.
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Everything looks really great! It's awesome what so few people are able to do!

Why did you guys decide to do an overhaul to such an old engine rather than just choosing something more recent? Or has this been a passion project of your guys for years?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I really like the style and atmoshpere you have created in those first few screenshots.

If you were looking for a level designer or heck if I had any experience with ID tech I'd probably help you out cause the amount of work you've done with such a small group deserves some support.

Regardless I wish you luck.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    schoenrock wrote: »
    so how does the level editor work? any comparison to the UDK?

We use a modified version of Radiant, so anybody with knowledge of building Quake maps will know right away. That includes COD games.
    Why did you guys decide to do an overhaul to such an old engine rather than just choosing something more recent? Or has this been a passion project of your guys for years?

Well when we started all this, we were working on Quake II Evolved and there was only the faint glimmer of a possible Quake 3 source release in the future. So UDK, Doom 3, Cry engine etc... They didn't really exist in the way they do now. Obviously down the line, you get used to working with your own baby, and OverDose really did (parden the pun) evolve over the years into our own engine of sorts.

Thanks for the kind words guys, means a lot to us.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great, you guys have to be commended for sticking with it so long.

Everyone who thinks they can make an indie-mmo should come here to see how much work it takes to make an "easy" game like a FPS.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It is really starting to look great, man. You guys are doing very cool work. Visually it looks nearly good enough to not need that 'all of this was based on id tech 2' disclaimer. That room scene is excellent -- most of the assets look aweosme, and those that are a little weaker are used very well in context. Maybe it's not up to triple a art team quality, but it's certainly competitive with some big budget titles out there.

The weakest bit to me is the bathroom scene, just because the floor tiles and locker doors' materials are not being communicated at all. Is there no shader support for cubemaps or anything that could achieve a similar effect?
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    great job man always blown away by your posts!
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking sweet! I'm a huge fan of Quake and what you're doing with the engine is pretty impressive. I'm a bit of a noob, but I would be willing to help out some with modeling character models/props. I love the concepts.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great, you guys have to be commended for sticking with it so long.

Everyone who thinks they can make an indie-mmo should come here to see how much work it takes to make an "easy" game like a FPS.

This is a simple FPS, its not even Single Player (but if we ever got to a serious position, we have a LOT of plans for a nice team based coop single player story game). It’s a lot of bloody work, but its also crazy fun. The daft thing is, after years of doing “next gen” style art, I find it REALLY tough to go back to doing diffuse only textures… Very strange…

The weakest bit to me is the bathroom scene, just because the floor tiles and locker doors' materials are not being communicated at all. Is there no shader support for cubemaps or anything that could achieve a similar effect?

Amazingly, that floor AND locker surface has cube maps on it. Its just in past screenshots I was met with “woa, tone that shit right down, its supposed to be old and dirty not ultra shiney”. It actually does use a cube map there. Maybe I can try again and find a happy medium between the two…
    ae. wrote: »
    great job man always blown away by your posts!

Thank you :)
    SuPa- wrote: »
    This is looking sweet! I'm a huge fan of Quake and what you're doing with the engine is pretty impressive. I'm a bit of a noob, but I would be willing to help out some with modeling character models/props. I love the concepts.
    Everybody is a “newb”. Theres always somebody that does it better, or has been doing it longer… That’s the whole point of art. A real artist doesn’t look at his work and know its perfect, a real artist looks at his work and knows what could be achieved better/differently next time. The guys at Blur, myself included, we get this, that’s why we work close with everybody and offer as much or as little feedback as needed. Send me some previous examples, and I’ll take a peak? :p
  • tyddynroger
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    wow! this is impressive!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Amazingly, that floor AND locker surface has cube maps on it. Its just in past screenshots I was met with “woa, tone that shit right down, its supposed to be old and dirty not ultra shiney”. It actually does use a cube map there. Maybe I can try again and find a happy medium between the two…

Ah! Always tough to find that happy medium. Can you mask the reflection with a greyscale map? I really dont know how that shader stuff works in engine.

Btw, I don't have a ton of productive time laying around, but I may be able to make some props or draw some concepts for you if you'd like. Huge respect for humble, serious indie projects.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, the engine can either:

a) slap a cube map over the surface with no bump interaction.
    2) slap a cube map over the surface with bump map interacion.
    d) slap a cube map over the surface with bump map interaction and use a greyscaled mask.

The specular stage also allows us to control power/scale of the highlight per surface.
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Good point! And I shot over an email. I figured that I'd make it somewhat official.
  • ez_jamin
    Good progress on your map there Gav :D Thanks for pimping my stuff as well! :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You made the best bits Ben, obviously I'm gonna pimp the hell out of them :p
  • Beanwright
    Wow! This is looking amazing! Must watch this post for updates :D
  • schoenrock
    Offline / Send Message
    PM sent your way. I still can't get over the high details! I think John would be proud!
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    looks awesome, but why did you put all that time into adding that stuff into that old engine? Why not use something like UDK, CryEngine 3, or Unity? Just wondering the thought process behind it :p

Good luck with everything! Hope to see this released some day :D
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    BARDLER wrote: »
    looks awesome, but why did you put all that time into adding that stuff into that old engine? Why not use something like UDK, CryEngine 3, or Unity? Just wondering the thought process behind it :p

Good luck with everything! Hope to see this released some day :D

We get asked this a lot. Honestly...? We were the first engine to add per pixel lighting, before it had that huge buzz of everybody adding it. We actually had a PPL tech demo out for Quake II Evolved... Before Doom 3 hit retail.

So, seeing as its pretty much that engine that started it all, we have stuck by it since. We just have a lot of knowledge and experience with it. We started all this (Maybe not OverDose in its current form, but this type of work) when UDK didn't exist. When Unity was just a fart in a bath tub. When the Quake 2 Source release was, well, something unheard of before. You stick to what you know, and it was much easier to add new things and stuffs to an engine we knew that was as open as we wanted it to be, than it would be to make a "mod" for another game.

For example, with OverDose, we have access to EVERYTHING. Not just a few things, but EVERYTHING. Netcode, physics, master server stuff, everything. We can change as much or as little as we want, any time we want to. It just made sense back then.

Its the same thing with Rage... why didn't they just use a pre-existing engine rather than tweaking Doom 3? Because is a base, its what they knew. Same can even be said for COD, but then IMO COD needs a good kick up the arse in a LOT of ways...
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Forgot to post this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1OmGKrUe4&hd=1"]OverDose - Sky Portal Test - YouTube[/ame]

I've since flattened the cloud sphere a tad so it doesn't look so odd.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Nice hand animation lol
  • EiGHT
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    This is blowing my mind.
    You guy's deserve more support!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, means a lot to us, really do. We have kinda been in the background a lot, people mostly pass us over becaue they just see "Oh... Brown FPS... Thats original", but we really are pushing the whole team play objective based game style with some really cool movement so that its original (Can your team mate lean over an edge, grab your hand and pull you up in COD? No :p ).

Its hard with so few people, but we've had a few really good guys contact us thanks to this post so it was defo worth it.

The question is this: Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna have to take a look at the SSS and Rim Lighting, it doesn't look quite right...

od_feb_08.png

WIP - Missing weapons, ivy, foliage, dust particles, cobwebs, tits, shoes, several small ferrets and a trombone.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It looks pretty good, but the plants on the floor are just there... you should have the tiles cracked, or cracking, like the roots/plants are coming out.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I thought the EXACT same thing then :p I'll see what I can do.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The new main menu screen. The finger doesn't twitch yet, which it will :p

Also the new theme tune for the game has just been completed, so pimped it shall be:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgMmmVvU-o&hd=1"]OverDose - New Theme Song & UI - YouTube[/ame]

od_ui_main.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    This is beyond awesome ! Can't wait to see more :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks chief :) Glad you like :D
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty awesome stuff.

Do you have any gameplay/tech demos or vids?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Where will the tits be included in the aforementioned screenshot?

I didn't comment earlier but looks like it's coming along pretty fancily. It's great that you've done all of this as a small independent group. A few friends and I are thinking of doing something like this soon so it's very inspiring to me.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    For more videos, check out the YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/gavavva Theres quite a lot there!

As for tits... I would love to post some lovely bojangly ones but it will have to wait... We have some pretty damn disgusting designs for female player models, but w want to wait for the males to be done first before we look into "extra" models.

So, for now, this is the best I can do!

720-blue-tit-IMG_8936.jpg
  • Sandro
    Okay, this is looking very very cool, but how viable is this kind of development plan?

2 guys doing everything from scratch is bloody impressive, but obviously it's going to take a long time to finish. Graphics seem pretty much AAA based on screenshots you've posted, but how are you going to ensure it stays so and maintains edge over competition after say, 4 years?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Because we are being realistic. We know that in 4 years we likely own't have an edge... But I ask you to try and find me any small team game that does? Hell, most full on retail games with massive budgets wont even manage that.

The simple truth is always as follows:

Want the game out quicker? Then help.
    Want the game to look better? Then help.
    Want the game to always have that "edge"? Then help!

We simply try our best, but without HELP, theres not much more we can do other than our best. We do, however, have a LOT in the game thats not even ready for modern day use but can be enabled if you wish. 64 samples on shadow mapping? Multiple high ultra quality shader settings and materials? Real time reflections on things that dont need them? Amazingly high quality POM/AO? Hell, even real time light shafts can ALL use ray traced shadowing... If you enable it. Of course at the moment, if you whack everything up to insane levels then it wont run smooth all the time, but that stuffs there for now.

The thing is, we don't worry about the graphics. We worry about how it will play. Do you worry about how bad Link To The Past looks when you load it up? Or Doom? Grpahics always change. Crysis won't look amazing in a few years, even... But it will always play the same. Thats the important thing, but its also something we can control easy by changing it as/when needed.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, well, after some thought, I decided to get this up on IndieGoGo. I wanted to try and get some funding so that I could hire out more awesome artists to help with the project. So, as a totally shameless pimp, here is our link:

http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose

I did try kickstarter, but they were all like "Oh hell naw, we don't serve your kind here, get lost".

I'll be posting more updates in the next day or two from the actual game :p
  • marze
    Offline / Send Message
    marze polycounter lvl 17
    The Team Blur Games is doing an amazing job.
    You have changed the id Tech 2 engine making it a quality actual engine. That's impressive.
    It 'a bit of time I see your progress and your skills as artists and coders is equal to your determination.
    Good luck.
  • odium
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Looks Really Good.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ignore the Marauder looking the same, its pure conincidinky:

od_indiegogo_new_2_large.jpg
  • l.croxton
    This project looks insaine and if I had any talent to likes of anyone on here I would be very quick to throw my hand up and ask to help as a volunteer :). However I just wanted to ask that with the most recent picture, does the game actually look like that when you play? because as much as the screen shot looks awesome doesnt the fact everything kinda blends in a bit to much together because of the sepia tone its kinda hard to pick details out. With the dude in the corner there is nothing to point out he is a bad guy sort of thing.

Maybe a better way to put it is for example, high contrast pictures of games look awesome but high contrast games are horrible when actually playing.

Asside from that, everything about this project is inspiring to myself :). Good luck with it :D.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    It does yeah, but we havent tagged real time light to the models yet (via tagging in the skeleton, full real time lighting ftw!). The enemy is orange, the good guys green. Each class/character has lights on the back and front, and are not exactly "in your face" but are enough to make it easier to spot your team vs theirs.

The lights can be seen better in this shot, but imagine them as an actual light source, and glowing:

od_polycount_11.jpg
  • l.croxton
    Ah right I see what you mean :). You lost me a bit with tagging on the lights but I am guessing you mean basically sticking a light to a character which has real time lighting effects? sorry for being rather ignorant about this hahah.

Also the lights look pretty good, although it took me a while to spot :P. These models look pretty awesome though. Do you guys have a website or something that I can follow this on? :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice updates! That head with the balaclava is tighhhhtttt, who's the artist? Did you make that?

Two questions:

First, idle curiosity, how prototyped or implemented is your movement system? Will you guys be able to show some video of parkouring around levels in first person, at least, for the indiegogo/kickstarter?

Second, for more specific reasons, how possible or likely will attachments and extra costume elements on the characters be? I'd love to see some variations of different straps/gear/pouches over these dudes to really sell the scavenger/raider look.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I made that one, but when I get home I need to rework it a tad as I forgot somthing... Bloody ears... :p None of my refs had them shown because they were covered so tightly but everybody always says the same thing, that it looks odd that way. So I'll likely do somehing even if its just in the bump.

1) The website is http://www.team-blur-games.com/overdose but we use http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose a whole lot more.

2) The video for stuff is nearly done, its just I had to leave early for my birthday week stuffs as my girlfriend had a death in the family, so I put it aside a little to spend a little quality time with her. I should be back onto that this week. With regards to the movement system, everything is in there, even crouch sliding under broken doors and what not, with weapon... the trouble is, theres not enough actual on screen animation to really support it just yet to really show it off. But the video does include lots of WIP media and animation and the like, both from first person and third person. All of thats in, and is usable in the various maps. The only thing thats really not in is the buddy up system, but that one needs to wait a ittle while longer as its more game code, something we are well into now.

2) Well, every player gets to pick their head, thats standard and changes remain over any class change. Thats the second change, the classes, as each class five per team) has a different model. The last is change is load out, as we have lots of different weapons and class specific gear, all of which can be changed with attachments at will, each having their own strengths and weaknesses, so each being something that works best at a given task. The good news is that every weapon is available right off the bat, and NEARLY every weapon to every class. That means medics can use shotguns for example, but rocket launchers is a bit of an odd choice. Attachments are unlocked over a series of progression based challenges, be it simply kill X people, or killing a certain way. We wanted to give the player at least some sense of progression in this area, so that he had access to every weapon in the game off the bat, but smaller tweaks like holo sights, silencers etc, would be more suited to a players play style instead. We want to give it a bit more focus on the player there, and a bit less on the "ZOMG NEW TOYS!!!" COD formula.

The way attachments work is via tagging onto different bones. Thats what allows us to have for example, a laser sight, or a silencer, all with the same animation set. Adding the pouches and things is a great idea, but sadly would require a lot more work on the animation side (Something we need some SERIOUS help with right now). The truth of the matter there is that the player animations atm all have standard model bones/skeletons up to the head, with an additional 6 for taggng flares, 2 for weapons in each hand, and a special bone for the random "tube" the field ops class has. Using this single rig we can animate every MP character, which cuts down on the workload a LOT (but isn't vital to the game working, just something we aimed for to make life easier). Heads on the other hand, have a series of small simple animations, and each have their own rig (due to different shapes, sizes and scales), and these range from simple phonemes for speach, to simple animation sets like blink, shout, scream, pain etc. In this case, the "head" model is tagged onto the "body" model, same as a weapon would be tagged into the hand. This allows us at least some form of coustomisation on that part.

Add that in with theme specific skins using .skin modifications (Black guy has black skin, when in a snow themed level add a different diffuse covered with frost, different d/n/s set for the body if you want etc) and you have, at the moment, a lot more possibilities. Doing this this way, its totally possible to actually remove surfaces that we don't need and not even render them at all. That includes pouches and things on the the models.

The only problem there is that this is a team based but also CLASS based game. That poses two challenges on the gameplay front. The first was quite rightly pointed out above; Spotting your team mates over the enemy. We solved that with a player lights, that don't make you glow in the dark to everybody in a 40 mile radius, but do allow quick spotting of team mates (NOTE: These lights and materials are totally dependant on if the player selects colour blind mode... Yes, we included that). But the second challenge is actually even bigger... How do you spot a Medic, over a Field Ops? Thats where the different looking classes come in. So adding more or less "things" and "stuffs" to those classes changes the silhouette and general outline of a class. So thats where it gets into murky waters, and we need to draw a fine line between allowing player to do what they need to make them look unique, but still allowing th game to function on a playability level.

But the heads are totally custom... As in, old school custom. As in, hey you don't like the ones we made? Then use your own. We have lose file loading in OverDose on pure servers, which allows you to upload new files (providing they meet a check list of requirements and don't overwrite any older materials). That means if you don't like the selection, and would rather add a Homer Simpson head to the game, go for it. Just don't be shocked when people start head shotting you a million times :p (Two points there, one, we have our own damage model, and head shots if done with a decent enough weapnon will NOT make you "down and waiting for medic" and will instead remove your face, swap the head model for a stump, and shower the area with brain, bone and eyeballs... Not to mention blood. Second point is that all models use a clipping model for impacts, and all use the same model there, to make it fair. Last thing you want is a certain player having a bigger head and being easier to kill).

Hope that answers a few questions! Ignore the typing, I'm on Carla's laptop, and its like typing with gloves on... With no hands.