Old (#1)
Ok, so as a lot of you may know, I currently co-run an indie team called Team Blur Game and we are hard at work on our post apocalyptic first person shooter “OverDose”. OverDose has a strong team play feel to it, lifting a lot of inspiration from Return To Castle Wolfensteins objective based gameplay, almost to a “homage” level of appreciation. Obviously, we have added our own elements along the way to stand out, such as a more advanced movement system that lets you mount/climb objects, even letting you buddy up with a friend who can help you climb up higher surfaces. The number one point of OverDose was to pretty much bring Wolfensteins objective team play based gameplay screaming into the new era as much as we could.

Obviously as a tiny team, this is bloody hard work. With one coder and one artist, its… Tough. We have had Jamin who did our character models and weapons, but even then we have a single weapon completed and two characters (plus several heads). I’ve had to do everything else, art wise, including UI, effects, textures, models and maps. A massive project… But that’s not for here, because that would be more of a “help wanted” style post, which this isn’t as its more of a pimp (But yeah, if you can help out, give us a PM).

Before I get onto some screenshots of what OverDose looks like in its current state, please be aware of something… OverDose is based on id Tech 2. Two. That’s Quake II.

Anyway, onto some shameless self pimpage. With the renderer being pretty much feature complete now, I figure its time to ramp it up a bit with pimping. Polycount has a boat load of my heroes and people I look up to posting here, and I value you guys more than any other area of the ‘tinternets when it comes to this stuff.

WIP Area screenshot, lacking a lot of Ivy and a few other bits:

Just chilling:

Misc Bits:

Real time light shafts/pom/post process:

Missing all the foliage/ivy:

Shed load of misc objects (of a few hundred I’ve made):

My Marauder hands:

Bens CMC Pistol:

Bends CMC Pisol with CMC Hands:

Field Ops Class:

Field Ops Head Variants:

Infiltrator Head Variant:

And another:

Maybe Music and the like is more your bag? Here are some samples of the music and types we are going for created by the talented Luciano Giacomozzi, so you can experience them for yourself:

You can find out more on the “About” page of our site: http://team-blur-games.com/overdose/

And even more at the ModDB/IndieDB page: http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose

Last edited by odium; 08-16-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,005 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#2)
I am blown away simply by the fact that that's running on id Tech 2.
Offline , line, 80 Posts, Join Date Oct 2011, Location Plymouth, UK  

Old (#3)
First things first, screen shots look amazing! Second thing, I think you mean ID Tech 3. On your other shots on your mod page it looks like you are using Return To Castle Wolfenstein as your base, and that uses ID Tech 3, or the quake 3 engine. I'm also pretty sure it's the modified version, as normal maps were added later to it, much later.

Either way you look at it though, what you are pulling off with it is better than a lot of other dev studios imo. This looks better than some of the ID Tech 4 games out there.

Can't wait to see some vids.

Also, what sort of help you looking for?
Mark T. Schoenrock --- www.seeoutsidethebox.com

Currently working on my new site, sooo, you will have to look at the old unfinished one.
Offline , null, 21 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Michigan Send a message via AIM to schoenrock Send a message via Yahoo to schoenrock Send a message via Skype™ to schoenrock  

Old (#4)
Nope, we mean id Tech 2. The screenshots with RtCW are us saying "Hey, heres this area from RtCW, but remade in OverDose to show you what it would be like". OverDose is built on the frameworks of The Quake II Evolved engine, which is our previous engine creation back in the Q2 source port days.

Everything you see thats in these pics, we added ourselves. That includes per pixel lighting, shadow mapping, sub surface scattering, rim lighting, AO, real time shadowed light shafts, material system, shaders, EAX/Open AL, post processing, colour grading, skeletal animation systems, custom model formats and encoders, brand new tool sets, a level editor, sky portals, terrain systems, folaige systems with wind simulation, GUI scripting, blah blah woop woop dingle berry tech stuffs. Theres a TINY ammount of Quake 2 still in there, the whole thing has been re-written to bring it up to date. It probably shares about as much in common now with Quake 2 as Rage does.

As for what we need help with... Well, take your pick We badly need help with weapon models, animations as well. We have two character models, but of course need the full set done (concepts below, colour available) but at least we have two that will work "for now".

*NEW REVISED TECHNICIAN CONCEPT (Second from right)*
http://www.team-blur-games.com/forum...ile.php?id=153
http://imageshack.us/f/831/mdrtechniciancolour.png

Marauder Custom Head Designs
http://www.team-blur-games.com/forum...=133&mode=view

Old (#5)
That is an insane amount of work you guys have done with so little people. I'm amazed looking at these screens.
Marquis Houghton, Environment Artist
My Portfolio
Offline , triangle, 461 Posts, Join Date Apr 2008, Location Washington Send a message via AIM to marq4porsche  

Old (#6)
Its not really fair to say its just Nicolas and I. Bitterman did our fantastic concepts, and we have of course our music composers who did things I couldn't even begin to do. But when it comes to art... It was pretty much Ben doing the two characters/heads, pistol and human hands, and me doing everything else... And while I don't want to brag because I still feel theres nothing to brag about (I'm a shit artist, I just do what I can), I've created over 16,000 files for OverDose at around 6gig's worth of content. It does help when you just love the project you work on, and OD's become a huge part of my relaxing routine

Old (#7)
Damn! well congrats on the overhaul. so how does the level editor work? any comparison to the UDK? Id love to work on environment stuff, I'm not much of a character artist, mainly a hard surface and environments artist.

I just can't get over how amazing these shots look, and even more amazing considering the fact that you guys completely redesigned ID Tech 2.

Currently working on my new site, sooo, you will have to look at the old unfinished one.
Offline , null, 21 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Michigan Send a message via AIM to schoenrock Send a message via Yahoo to schoenrock Send a message via Skype™ to schoenrock  

Old (#8)
Everything looks really great! It's awesome what so few people are able to do!

Why did you guys decide to do an overhaul to such an old engine rather than just choosing something more recent? Or has this been a passion project of your guys for years?
Offline , polygon, 723 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Austin, Tx Send a message via AIM to ericdigital  

Old (#9)
I really like the style and atmoshpere you have created in those first few screenshots.

If you were looking for a level designer or heck if I had any experience with ID tech I'd probably help you out cause the amount of work you've done with such a small group deserves some support.

Regardless I wish you luck.
William T. Nicholls: Portfolio
3D Art Director working on "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
--------------
"When in doubt, ask the Polycount."
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,579 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location England  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenrock View Post
so how does the level editor work? any comparison to the UDK?
We use a modified version of Radiant, so anybody with knowledge of building Quake maps will know right away. That includes COD games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdigital View Post
Why did you guys decide to do an overhaul to such an old engine rather than just choosing something more recent? Or has this been a passion project of your guys for years?
Well when we started all this, we were working on Quake II Evolved and there was only the faint glimmer of a possible Quake 3 source release in the future. So UDK, Doom 3, Cry engine etc... They didn't really exist in the way they do now. Obviously down the line, you get used to working with your own baby, and OverDose really did (parden the pun) evolve over the years into our own engine of sorts.

Thanks for the kind words guys, means a lot to us.

Old (#11)
This is looking great, you guys have to be commended for sticking with it so long.

Everyone who thinks they can make an indie-mmo should come here to see how much work it takes to make an "easy" game like a FPS.
Offline , Moderator++, 8,096 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#12)
It is really starting to look great, man. You guys are doing very cool work. Visually it looks nearly good enough to not need that 'all of this was based on id tech 2' disclaimer. That room scene is excellent -- most of the assets look aweosme, and those that are a little weaker are used very well in context. Maybe it's not up to triple a art team quality, but it's certainly competitive with some big budget titles out there.

The weakest bit to me is the bathroom scene, just because the floor tiles and locker doors' materials are not being communicated at all. Is there no shader support for cubemaps or anything that could achieve a similar effect?
Concept Art Portfolio
3d Portfolio | LOOKING FOR WORK
sketcbook
- updated sometimesly!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,176 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Send a message via AIM to Joseph Silverman Send a message via MSN to Joseph Silverman  

Old (#13)
great job man always blown away by your posts!
www.aelevel.net / LinkedIn
Mech Artist / Piranha Games
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,998 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#14)
This is looking sweet! I'm a huge fan of Quake and what you're doing with the engine is pretty impressive. I'm a bit of a noob, but I would be willing to help out some with modeling character models/props. I love the concepts.

Last edited by SuPa-; 02-01-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Offline , triangle, 323 Posts, Join Date Apr 2008,  

Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Meisse View Post
This is looking great, you guys have to be commended for sticking with it so long.

Everyone who thinks they can make an indie-mmo should come here to see how much work it takes to make an "easy" game like a FPS.
This is a simple FPS, its not even Single Player (but if we ever got to a serious position, we have a LOT of plans for a nice team based coop single player story game). It’s a lot of bloody work, but its also crazy fun. The daft thing is, after years of doing “next gen” style art, I find it REALLY tough to go back to doing diffuse only textures… Very strange…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Silverman View Post
The weakest bit to me is the bathroom scene, just because the floor tiles and locker doors' materials are not being communicated at all. Is there no shader support for cubemaps or anything that could achieve a similar effect?
Amazingly, that floor AND locker surface has cube maps on it. Its just in past screenshots I was met with “woa, tone that shit right down, its supposed to be old and dirty not ultra shiney”. It actually does use a cube map there. Maybe I can try again and find a happy medium between the two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae. View Post
great job man always blown away by your posts!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPa- View Post
This is looking sweet! I'm a huge fan of Quake and what you're doing with the engine is pretty impressive. I'm a bit of a noob, but I would be willing to help out some with modeling character models/props. I love the concepts.
Everybody is a “newb”. Theres always somebody that does it better, or has been doing it longer… That’s the whole point of art. A real artist doesn’t look at his work and know its perfect, a real artist looks at his work and knows what could be achieved better/differently next time. The guys at Blur, myself included, we get this, that’s why we work close with everybody and offer as much or as little feedback as needed. Send me some previous examples, and I’ll take a peak? :p

Old (#16)
wow! this is impressive!
Offline , spline, 111 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011,  

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odium View Post
Amazingly, that floor AND locker surface has cube maps on it. Its just in past screenshots I was met with “woa, tone that shit right down, its supposed to be old and dirty not ultra shiney”. It actually does use a cube map there. Maybe I can try again and find a happy medium between the two…
Ah! Always tough to find that happy medium. Can you mask the reflection with a greyscale map? I really dont know how that shader stuff works in engine.

Btw, I don't have a ton of productive time laying around, but I may be able to make some props or draw some concepts for you if you'd like. Huge respect for humble, serious indie projects.
Concept Art Portfolio
3d Portfolio | LOOKING FOR WORK
sketcbook
- updated sometimesly!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,176 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Send a message via AIM to Joseph Silverman Send a message via MSN to Joseph Silverman  

Old (#18)
Yup, the engine can either:

a) slap a cube map over the surface with no bump interaction.
2) slap a cube map over the surface with bump map interacion.
d) slap a cube map over the surface with bump map interaction and use a greyscaled mask.

The specular stage also allows us to control power/scale of the highlight per surface.

Old (#19)
Good point! And I shot over an email. I figured that I'd make it somewhat official.
Offline , triangle, 323 Posts, Join Date Apr 2008,  

Old (#20)
Good progress on your map there Gav Thanks for pimping my stuff as well!
Offline , line, 74 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009,  

Old (#21)
You made the best bits Ben, obviously I'm gonna pimp the hell out of them :p

Old (#22)
Wow! This is looking amazing! Must watch this post for updates
Offline , null, 22 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Leicester, England Send a message via Skype™ to Beanwright  

Old (#23)
PM sent your way. I still can't get over the high details! I think John would be proud!

Old (#24)
Good stuff =)
Offline , spline, 204 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Landskrona/Malmö Sweden Send a message via Skype™ to Sam Hatami  

Old (#25)
looks awesome, but why did you put all that time into adding that stuff into that old engine? Why not use something like UDK, CryEngine 3, or Unity? Just wondering the thought process behind it :p

Good luck with everything! Hope to see this released some day
"I greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, knowledge, feedback and/or any critique on my work." Thanks!
Portfolio - Associate Environment Artist @ Crystal Dynamics.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,333 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location San Jose