Hey Ho Polycount!
I'm currently working on a Batman model with a two week deadline counting today, give or take a day. And I want it to be better then my last model. I was planning on making some nice sculpts in mudbox for good normals and AO's and need your help and suggestions when it comes to my sculpting and workflow.
The lowpoly is capped at 10k tris and I'm restricted to a 2k texture that I want for diffuse, specular and normal maps.
The Batman character I'm going for is the version without to much body armour and plating. I want to go in the direction of Jim Lee's Batman and Tim Burtons interpretation for the Batman movie. I want to try and get a nice thick leathery feel to Batman's mask, gloves and boots. For the body I want either the thin cloth or a thinner version of the leather with a more glossy feel to it.
I've begun sculpting the head and this is how far I got before I had to call it quits for tonight. I feel that I need to strenghten a lot of the mask and facial features now when I've had a short break to think. I'll have to fix the nose so it has a better blend with the rest of the mask and doesn't stick out like a diamond.
I found a pretty good reference on how I want his head to look, this image has the Jim Lee and Tim Burton feel to it. Unfortunatelly I couldn't find who's the owner of the ref so I can give creds.
I'm sculpting the character in pieces because it feels like a good workflow and that the computer I'm working on with this piece wouldn't be able to handle the whole sculpt at one time.
The character is divided into the following pieces:
- Upperarms, Chest, Groin and "Upperlegs"
Anticipated riddler traps:
- I'm Lacking experience with retopo from hi-poly and might end up doing bad topology that won't translate well with the normal bake.
- Rigging isn't my forte and making a cape that's easily poseable frightens me.
- I'm still very new to the modelling scene which makes it hard for me to anticipate more complicated problems when it comes to my models.
How to solve the riddles:
- Experimentation and reworking my mesh till it works and hopefully some help from you will get me back on track.
- Not entirely sure how to tackle this but I think I'll keep it simple and clean and use several joints in a half circle formation so I can manipulate it a bit and get the results I want for the turntable pose.
- Keep questioning and answering my workflow so I can tackle the problem before it appears.
Thanks for reading.