Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Boat house environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jonas-144 polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys this is something I made a few weeks ago.
It was inspired by the San Francisco Wharf area and Ids Rage.

Its pretty much finished but I have some optimizing and minor tweaks left.

Im thinking of using it in my portfolio so all suggestions are welcomed

jonas2f.jpgjonas1l.jpg

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Scale is a big issue here the boat looks like a toy, maybe try scaling it up a bit. It looks tiny compared to the building, I know there are small boats but to me it feels weird.

Great work on the mood, really nice texturework as well. I would suggest that you stay away from completely black shadows. Other than than , good work!
  • dpaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good!
    2nd shot reminds me of the old iso Fallout games.

If you're putting it in your portfolio be sure to show a wireframe or triangle count as well as some mapping.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I agree about the scale, other than that it looks very nice indeed.
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great answers!

I agree with all of you the boat is way to small compared to the house
    Ill scale It up, and post a wireframe version and textures as well
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    This looks nice, but some of the post-processing is a little heavy for my tastes. Specifically the DoF in the first shot makes it hard to focus on and possibly look like a miniature, and the contrast on the wall in the second shot seems pretty blown out, though I don't know if that's in the texture or not. I think if it was toned down a touch it would look a bit more natural.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, like Axios said, Id definitely tone down the DoF...almost makes it look like a tilt shift image.

Boat size could be a little bigger...Look at the door for the house compared to the door for the boat cabin.
  • _Erik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scene looks really nice, but you might want to increase the shadow resolution. Especially since this is a portfolio piece. I'd also increase the ambient light a bit. Light bouncing off the sand should at least cast some light on the underside of the boat.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    +1

Maybe it's just me but the lightmaps seems a bit low or needs adjustment on the second pic on the side of boat.

Looking great !
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Axios I agree that I might have gone a bit overboard with the post processing (specially the DOF in the first pic) :P.
    The blown out texture on the wall is because of the bright sunlight.
    I was going for a "mid day in the desert" type of feel. But I agree it looks a bit too much

Ill soon post the new version and wireframe etc
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I like this scene, however, there are some changes I'd like to suggest. As it is, the scale of the texture details on your boat are too large. If you plan on scaling the boat up they'll be even more noticeable. Mainly the hull of the ship and the white rusty metal areas. Personally, I'd rework the white metal texture, as the rust seems completely random.
    Also, the door on the house is too narrow. Doors tend to have a standard size and straying from that doesn't look right.
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a quick print with some updates from udk and a wireframe.

I fixed the boat size, the overexposed sun and the low-res shadows.
    Im trying to get the shadows to appear less dark without loosing the over all contrast.
    But no luck so far :(
    Ill start working on the door and the boat textures as soon as I get the time but ill be sure to keep you uppdated

This is my first attempt to make something in udk so bare with me =)

Also if someones interested
    Tri count: around 25 k
    Texture size: 3X 1024*1024
    Time making: around three weeks

and once again thanks everyone for the help!. Its easy to get snow-blind =)

uppdate.jpg
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, there's a lot of detail there that I couldn't see before. Much nicer.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure the green channel of your normal maps is inverted. I noticed in the first shot that the metal rust bits are receiving light from the wrong direction. And in general your scene has this, "what direction is the light coming from" vibe.

Looks good over all, I like the changes you made.

If I had to suggest anything aesthetically I'd say the scene dropping off from a flat plane and the uniform humps in the ground could use some changes.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice textures and sense of clutter! Boat size looks better too. About your shadows, you don't have to lighten em up much - just a subtle nudge away from the black should be enough :] Nice job!
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really good. The biggest thing I see right now is that the last shot looses nearly all of the blue from the boat and door in shadows. That hit of bright cool color really helped in the first set of images.

Nice work.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    the lighting gives off a Resident evil 5 feel. I like it.
    Mind sharing your workflow/breakdown?
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys
    Well first of all I want to apologize for the late reply!
    Ive been really busy finishing a game project in school and various other work for my portfolio.

Here's a quick update I inverted the green chanel and fixed some minor stuff.
    The sunlight in this one is a bit booring
    Ill post a final uppdate later on but at the moment I have to focus on my other works.
    Check out http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94949
    If youre interested
    Thanks everyone for the help It has been really helpfull!

nfrrtycmplx:

wow thanks that helped alot and I got rid of some wierd problems

Iciban:
    Thanks man thats kinda what I was going for =)

Well my workflow on this one was pretty straight forward. Nothing fancy really just basic modeling/texturing

I started of by collecting a ****load of referance/inspiration images.
    I usually start of by blocking out the scene to get a good view of how things might look.
    (This is probably where the scale of the boat got screwed up)

The scene wasn't first ment to be in udk but I then deicided to try it out since udk is capable
    of some pretty exiting things.

The modeling part was pretty easy. And the texturing too. Like I said nothing fancy.

I tried out different PP settings and various colorgradings before I deicided to go with this one.
    At first I was going more for a rage type of look. But I deicided to tone it down a notch.

This has really been like a big "try cool things in udk" project for me.
    Since i didnt have any experience prior to this. This project has been really helpfull for me.

I hope I answered your question about the workflow.

Please tell me if you want more detailed breakdown!

Once again I apologize for the late reply!
    boatupdate.jpg