Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Indoor - UDK [SWTOR Fan Art]

Ostraga
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ostraga polycounter lvl 8
So this is my latest environment. Took roughly 1.5 weeks. Concept is from Bioware from the new Star Wars game. (Website currently unavailable, should be up within the week). Lemme know any crits / what you guys think.

CA_republic_full.jpg

Environment_Shot_Medium-2.png

Pillar1_Shot_L.png

Pillar2_Shot_L.png

Canister_L.png

Replies

• theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! The FOV seems a little different from the concept though imo but its hard to tell without a human ref in there. Like it so far though! :)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks alright. I think your scaling is a bit off. Those big round canisters are much larger in the concept and draw the eye in a way yours does not. I think maybe your ceiling is too low as well.

As for the concept. Are you sure that's a drawing? It looks like a game enviro already to me.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i think it is already and enviro with concept parts mixed in like the chars, but either way i think if you just changed your angle a bit it would look even more like the other image, looks great so far though :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    As mentioned, your scaling is a bit off, IMO. Might be the FoV, but something definitely makes your version feel more empty/spacey.

And that's not a painting/concept, it's an in-game screenshot with a few elements painted in IIRC. You can even see the Anti-Aliasing in the original shot.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah... scales off...

Something that bugs me is you simplified a lot of the really cool designs like the tanks and the computer terminals. You killed the shapes and design elements of them to make them simpler. Don't know why but it hurts the piece.

The original is really interesting and has some nice stuff in it. You are missing things like the overhead supports and rails that are in the scene, plus the scale differences, the differences I noted above.

I would have tried to stay a lot closer to the concept though.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going along with what other people said:

The first thing I noticed about your environment is that the lighting and atmospherics are absolutely killing the overall feeling of the scene.

Your lighting is colorless, and it looks like you tried to light to room as evenly as possible. Take a look at your ceiling compared to the reference image. Notice how much more contrast there is in theirs compared to yours? Also, There is blue tint on some of the lights, and yellow on the other...and it creates a nice contrast. Also, the blue makes the area feel more scifi/metallic/open and cold, but your lighting isn't doing any of those things. Also, if you haven't, you could try adding some bloom to get the lit areas to glow a little bit. Right now they just don't look like convincing light sources. Also, it looks like your material definitions are a little off. The rounded part that touches the ceiling in the midde, the tanks on either side of the platform, the metal wall pieces...none of them read like metal. Do you have a spec map on them? The rounded part that touches the ceiling in the middle is the biggest culprit...it almost looks like it is made out of concrete in your image.
  • Ostraga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the crits / comments. The first things I'll be addressing are the scale / FoV / issues.. I definitely noticed some scaling issues while building the scene in UDK. Pre-planning is def my weak point atm which im trying to fix. Also gonna change up the lighting to go with what gsokol mentioned, gonna add some more contrast and blues / yellows in the light.
  • Ostraga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after playing with some different light setups this is where I am at atm.

Highres_Screenshot_00005.png
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe back the camera up just a bit also, it's looking better though :) keep going