polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
CURRENT PROGRESS:

[vv]49536231[/vv]

O1xh9.jpg

ORIGINAL POST BELOW

Hi all.

After my last project I decided to do something a bit different and remake an area from my favourite game of all time - Rare's Banjo-Kazooie on the N64.
I figured the first place you start would be the best place to start - Banjo's House. An indoor, small-scale environment.

refbanjoshouse.png

BanjosBed.jpg

Unlike my last project, I'm hoping to get Polycounters involved from an early stage, so I've literally just started over the past few days.
Below is the initial block-out made with the in-game assets from the original:

banjoshouse14012012.jpg

I've already started putting in things like the floorboards and the odd placeholder texture to get those colours in.

Any thoughts this early on?
I was going to go for a stylised photo-realism, unless anyone can argue the case for hand-painted textures.

Replies

• nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    love it love it love it, one of my favourite N64 games ever!

I really like your start. I think you should go for stylised photo-realism as you said :) Cannot wait to see more textures on it!
  • BenStrasser
    Loved this game! Cant wait to see where you go with this! :)
  • Trevion3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevion3D polycounter lvl 9
    oh my Gosh! the nostalgia! I gonna go play that now
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    A wild Goldfish Bowl appeared!

banjoshouse15012012.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently working on some books to fill the bookshelves:

banjoshouse18012012.jpg
  • Seirei
    Then why are they laying on the floor? D:

But jokes aside, nice progress so far, looking forward to the revamped room from my childhood! :D
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    any reason you're using meshes for the planks instead of using a tiling texture on the floor?
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    planks are going for a handpainted or stylized style and the rest of the scene has a realistic style (the aquarium, the rug noise, the books)

You should stick to a style from the begining to avoid a messy final picture.
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    yea id personally stick with a hand painted style as it reminds me of banjo kazooie more.

now that you show a closeup of the rug it looks a little weird.. as if the normals of the wood are on the carpet since its going with the grain.

the other thing is the texel density of things in that shot dont match up at all.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I should have mentioned. The rug only has a place-holder texture on it - the original 64x64 bitmap from the N64 game to be precise! :D
    The normal map is from a fabric material that I had ready for Banjo's mattress.

I just finished texturing the three first books that share the same texture atlas:

banjoshouse18012012b.jpg

banjoshouse18012012c.png
    ParoXum wrote: »
    planks are going for a handpainted or stylized style and the rest of the scene has a realistic style (the aquarium, the rug noise, the books)

You should stick to a style from the begining to avoid a messy final picture.
    You're right actually.
    The planks were the first thing that I made for the scene and they just don't seem to work.
    I always intended on having a 3-dimensional floor, rather than a texture so I think I'll head back to ZBrush at some point and start afresh with some harder edges and straighter planks.
    Macattackk wrote: »
    yea id personally stick with a hand painted style as it reminds me of banjo kazooie more.
    You say that, but I think Banjo had quite a realistic style for the time (if you ignore the anthropomorphic woodland animals). The shapes were stylised, but the texture work was quite realistic - much like Pixar movies, I suppose.

At this stage, I think it would be wise for me to draw out an action plan of what assets I'm going to be creating and in what order - as I'm just making whatever takes my fancy at the moment, without any sort of structure to the place past the initial blockout.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finished the books:

banjoshouse21012012.jpg

Totalling at 428 triangles.

Hopefully if I get some free time this next week, I'll be able to crack on sorting out the walls and re-doing the floorboards.
  • krimzondestiny
    Looks interesting. Not sure how the finished product will be. Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time as well, and it has inspired my next scene. I would agree with previous comments in saying that a few of your assets look too realistic; the leather book and aquarium. For good reference, you should check out Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It is a happy medium between stylized modeling and semi-realistic textures.
  • Finalstraw
    I was considering doing something from Banjo-Kazooie once I had finished uni, I love the idea. I agree stick to hand painted as I don't think B-K will work in a realistic style. However it would be a good challenge.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    It appears that I'm flying in the face of pretty much everything that everyone has said to me thus far about hand-painted textures :D
    I've decided on realistic texturing on top of more stylised meshes (not that I have made any of said stylised meshes yet).

I haven't had much time to myself the past few weeks, so progress has been slow.
    Most time I do get though, is spent in Photoshop due to it being installed on my PC at work.

Regardless, I thought I would post up my texturing/materials work so far:

textureandshaderwork280.jpg
    textureandshaderwork280a.jpg

And here is the current scene with the assets arranged in no particularly finished fashion:

banjoshouse28012012b.jpg

I thought I'd re-design the floorboards and re-texture them from scratch to meet the sort of detail present in my other textures.
    If I get enough hate for the texture style, I can always make a copy of the scene when I'm done and make hand-painted materials :D
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    For good reference, you should check out Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It is a happy medium between stylized modeling and semi-realistic textures.
    I really love the graphics in Nuts and Bolts, but I'm very wary of imitating it's style - something I don't want to do.
    I want to make my own interpretation of the world and hopefully it will be something that you could picture the duo inhabiting :)
  • krimzondestiny
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    I really love the graphics in Nuts and Bolts, but I'm very wary of imitating it's style...

I wasn't suggesting that you imitate the style, just use it as a jumping off point. I would just say, whatever way you're going with the style, make sure it is consistent. I'm really excited to see what you come up with.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks krimzondestiny :)

Prop update for today. You have to guess which one is mine and which one is the original:

textureandshaderwork310.jpg

I'm also half way through making the house walls/door/shelves which I'm creating together to make sure everything lines up properly.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd mention that I'm putting this project on hold while I learn to use Maya.

A lot of companies (including Rare) use Maya and it can only improve my job prospects if I learn how to use it as well as having my experience with 3DS Max.
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Danm! This is old school! Totally making justice to it aswell! Keep it up! :)
  • Finalstraw
    The art style does seems a little bit mixed, some things seems more painted than realistic. Try and identify your style and stick to it. I really like the honey comb, so that would be the way I would go.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    After leaving it for a while and looking back, you guys are definitely right about the mix of art styles.

I haven't updated this for a while as I've been working on a huge gap in my portfolio - namely man-made environments and hard surfaces.
    So if I still have the enthusiasm for this project afterwards, I'll come back and completely overhaul the textures to tie closer together in style.

It's really odd looking at some assets though, as I could make some of them in seconds now, where they took me a little while to create at the time! :D

Edit: And I'd go about creating the entire scene completely differently now. For starters, I'd create the whole environment in Maya, completing all the models in a single scene before moving to UDK and mass importing them as .fbx files.
  • OMGiFARTED
    ya man, i just took a look at your WIPs and at your last post, didn't see what anyone else said, but i think you should go with the painted texture look. I'm not sure of the art style of the wood (in the pic with your carpet) but if you were going the painted texture route with that, than i suggest accenting the edges more, more subtle on the wood noise and broader strokes in the shades of brown
  • Sixoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Sixoul polycounter lvl 9
    People keep making scenes from my favorite games in UDK and it makes me miss them so much. Looks amazing.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    this is ace work man cant wait to see it finished!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    This looks incredible! Keep up the good work Sir !
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that when I get back to this, I'll make the rug out of Pi
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    ooo snap! my childhood right here. Brings bak such good memories. Wake up, turn on the tv and play n64. Good times...

Keep it up! looking great so far
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Iciban wrote: »
    ooo snap! my childhood right here. Brings bak such good memories. Wake up, turn on the tv and play n64. Good times...

Keep it up! looking great so far

couldnt put it better, so much memories hehe

keep it up, looking forward :)
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    Please keep doing this!
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Who says that I didn't start again recently ;)
    I wasn't going to post anything until it was in a more presentable state, but seeing as you posted - this is what the scene looks like as of this morning:

BMKDc.jpg

KeMDF.jpg

aEyyH.jpg

fD2He.jpg

I took a lot of the advice in this thread to heart and have now completely gone in the direction of hand-painted textures.
    As well as this, I started the entire scene's modelling from scratch using Maya with only the odd asset surviving the jump.

The material on most objects for the moment is a basic Diffuse with that Multiplied by 0.5 into the Emissive.
    I was actually going to ask Polycount for some assistance in determining a good shader for the environment. I really like the style that Baolong used in their Legend of Sealed Book scene.

The lighting hasn't been built yet as there are no lightmap UVs on objects as of yet.
    Critique away and tear this to shreds guys!
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Just completed the Pi
  • JasonDC
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonDC null
    Ahhh! This place brings back great memories. So far, it's looking great! That Pi
  • Daft.Eng
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    Just completed the Pi
  • SeanO'Connor
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    I still haven't sorted out a proper lighting set-up as of yet, as Maya keeps crashing whenever I try to add a second UV set to the rug for lightmaps (As evident mainly in the last image).

1K0EF.jpg

gOKLR.jpg

ExZeY.jpg

zUvYt.jpg

I have altered the texture colours to more closely mimic the original scene.
    As well as this, I wasn't happy with the way that the wallpaper met the ceiling, so I modelled the ceiling separately and extracted the wallpaper as a copy of the wall mesh. With this I added some peeling effects to make it a bit more realistic.

I also put hot emmissive texture effects on the fireplace and the stove using texture painting in addition to reworking the fabric texture on the chairs.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to report today, as I've been adding lightmap UVs for all my objects (note to self: ALWAYS DO THIS AS I GO ALONG!).

Here is the scene with a single point light in the ceiling and the lighting built as a basic test - ie. I'll be adding lights for the fireplace and a lamp by the door.

sMABI.jpg

kLJyB.jpg

szlTJ.jpg

hCIzh.jpg

Some UVs need sorting, such as the chairs, as well as the general scale of lightmaps upped a bit later.
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    One of my favourite games as a kid and this is turning out really nicely! Look forward to seeing more! :)
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers!
    Every time I think about Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
    They have to still be my favourite games even today ^_^

Earlier, I created a reading lamp for a second source of light and in a minute I shall be making a sprite sheet for the fire and accompanying smoke effects.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to think it's in a more presentable state now :)

O1xh9.jpg

adQ8U.jpg

xPx9q.jpg

yVHae.jpg

Aside from the obvious changes, I also added a very subtle variation on the sobel edge detection around objects. Essentially making the lines just a slightly darker hue of the colour behind it.
    It just makes things 'pop' a bit more and i think it suites the haindpainted style.
    There is also a Mario Galaxy style effect on objects where they have a soft fresnel outline.

Crits?
  • andersonm
    Offline / Send Message
    andersonm polycounter lvl 9
    Great job man! It's looking awesome! Looking forward to see more!
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so cool! Some texture sheets please!
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    A texture sheet, as requested!
    Don't say I never give you guys anything :P

XPvpp.jpg

The two on the right have an accompanying displacement/height map for use with DX11 Tessellation.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Was sitting down, ney, laying down on the couch watching sports center and fiddling with my tablet and looking at some WAYWO... and then I saw this... had to get my butt up off the couch and walk to my computer just to say how awesome I think this came out! xD
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @RogelioD, that's put a beaming smile on my face! :D

I'll be sorting out a short fly-through for this at some point just to show off the corners and hidden details a bit more.
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    this is pretty awesome, gives me a warm feeling. is that rug full of polys? doesnt seem very game friendly if it is
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    This sir looks fucking awesome, Leaps and bounds better than when you first started this topic.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Macattackk wrote: »
    this is pretty awesome, gives me a warm feeling. is that rug full of polys? doesnt seem very game friendly if it is

http://meimi132.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/viva-pinata-e3-2006-pic14.jpg

very cool work, you could comsider turning off shadow/ao casting of the rug, the black destroys it a bit.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the rug is bugging me a bit too to be honest.
    I did turn off shadow casting for it, which looked much nicer but gave the impression that it was floating.
    Now that I have Ambient Occlusion on it should work better come to think of it. :)

I'm also going to change the fire from a static light to a nice dynamic flickering one with sharp shadows.
    That should look much nicer as a scene overall.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Oh the nostalgia...
    Best platformer ever. Nintendo never forgave Rare that they made a better license than mario.

Nicely done !
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great man, really warm and inviting feeling. Loving the hand paintedness :)