Old (#1)
CURRENT PROGRESS:

ORIGINAL POST BELOW

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi all.

After my last project I decided to do something a bit different and remake an area from my favourite game of all time - Rare's Banjo-Kazooie on the N64.
I figured the first place you start would be the best place to start - Banjo's House. An indoor, small-scale environment.

Unlike my last project, I'm hoping to get Polycounters involved from an early stage, so I've literally just started over the past few days.
Below is the initial block-out made with the in-game assets from the original:

I've already started putting in things like the floorboards and the odd placeholder texture to get those colours in.

Any thoughts this early on?
I was going to go for a stylised photo-realism, unless anyone can argue the case for hand-painted textures.

Last edited by SirCalalot; 10-13-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Tech Artist at TT Fusion, UK
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene
Offline , polycounter, 883 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location Brighton, UK  

Old (#2)
love it love it love it, one of my favourite N64 games ever!

I really like your start. I think you should go for stylised photo-realism as you said Cannot wait to see more textures on it!
Offline , spline, 206 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location UK  

Old (#3)
Loved this game! Cant wait to see where you go with this!
Ben Strasser -- Environment Artist -Looking for work

Portfolio- http://benstrasser.carbonmade.com/
PC.NET Thread- http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84470
Twitter- @BenStrasser
LinkedIN- http://ca.linkedin.com/in/benstrasser
Offline , triangle, 285 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#4)
oh my Gosh! the nostalgia! I gonna go play that now
Offline , line, 54 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location Milky Way  

Old (#5)
A wild Goldfish Bowl appeared!

Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#6)
I'm currently working on some books to fill the bookshelves:

Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#7)
Then why are they laying on the floor? D:

But jokes aside, nice progress so far, looking forward to the revamped room from my childhood!
Offline , triangle, 277 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012,  

Old (#8)
any reason you're using meshes for the planks instead of using a tiling texture on the floor?
Offline , polycounter, 1,293 Posts, Join Date Dec 2005, Location Dallas Send a message via AIM to oobersli Send a message via Yahoo to oobersli  

Old (#9)
planks are going for a handpainted or stylized style and the rest of the scene has a realistic style (the aquarium, the rug noise, the books)

You should stick to a style from the begining to avoid a messy final picture.

Portfolio - Freelance Environment Artist Looking for work
My Mars Rover Thread using SD4/UE4
My art blog
Offline , polycounter, 920 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Belgium  

Old (#10)
yea id personally stick with a hand painted style as it reminds me of banjo kazooie more.

now that you show a closeup of the rug it looks a little weird.. as if the normals of the wood are on the carpet since its going with the grain.

the other thing is the texel density of things in that shot dont match up at all.
Indie Video Game Developer
Offline , triangle, 381 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Location California  

Old (#11)
Right, I should have mentioned. The rug only has a place-holder texture on it - the original 64x64 bitmap from the N64 game to be precise!
The normal map is from a fabric material that I had ready for Banjo's mattress.

I just finished texturing the three first books that share the same texture atlas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParoXum View Post
planks are going for a handpainted or stylized style and the rest of the scene has a realistic style (the aquarium, the rug noise, the books)

You should stick to a style from the begining to avoid a messy final picture.
You're right actually.
The planks were the first thing that I made for the scene and they just don't seem to work.
I always intended on having a 3-dimensional floor, rather than a texture so I think I'll head back to ZBrush at some point and start afresh with some harder edges and straighter planks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macattackk View Post
yea id personally stick with a hand painted style as it reminds me of banjo kazooie more.
You say that, but I think Banjo had quite a realistic style for the time (if you ignore the anthropomorphic woodland animals). The shapes were stylised, but the texture work was quite realistic - much like Pixar movies, I suppose.

At this stage, I think it would be wise for me to draw out an action plan of what assets I'm going to be creating and in what order - as I'm just making whatever takes my fancy at the moment, without any sort of structure to the place past the initial blockout.

Last edited by SirCalalot; 01-18-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#12)
I've finished the books:

Totalling at 428 triangles.

Hopefully if I get some free time this next week, I'll be able to crack on sorting out the walls and re-doing the floorboards.
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#13)
Looks interesting. Not sure how the finished product will be. Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time as well, and it has inspired my next scene. I would agree with previous comments in saying that a few of your assets look too realistic; the leather book and aquarium. For good reference, you should check out Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It is a happy medium between stylized modeling and semi-realistic textures.
Offline , vertex, 48 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Williamsburg, VA  

Old (#14)
I was considering doing something from Banjo-Kazooie once I had finished uni, I love the idea. I agree stick to hand painted as I don't think B-K will work in a realistic style. However it would be a good challenge.
Offline , vertex, 37 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  

Old (#15)
Thanks for the comments guys.
It appears that I'm flying in the face of pretty much everything that everyone has said to me thus far about hand-painted textures
I've decided on realistic texturing on top of more stylised meshes (not that I have made any of said stylised meshes yet).

I haven't had much time to myself the past few weeks, so progress has been slow.
Most time I do get though, is spent in Photoshop due to it being installed on my PC at work.

Regardless, I thought I would post up my texturing/materials work so far:

And here is the current scene with the assets arranged in no particularly finished fashion:

I thought I'd re-design the floorboards and re-texture them from scratch to meet the sort of detail present in my other textures.
If I get enough hate for the texture style, I can always make a copy of the scene when I'm done and make hand-painted materials

Last edited by SirCalalot; 01-28-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimzondestiny View Post
For good reference, you should check out Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It is a happy medium between stylized modeling and semi-realistic textures.
I really love the graphics in Nuts and Bolts, but I'm very wary of imitating it's style - something I don't want to do.
I want to make my own interpretation of the world and hopefully it will be something that you could picture the duo inhabiting
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCalalot View Post
I really love the graphics in Nuts and Bolts, but I'm very wary of imitating it's style...
I wasn't suggesting that you imitate the style, just use it as a jumping off point. I would just say, whatever way you're going with the style, make sure it is consistent. I'm really excited to see what you come up with.
Offline , vertex, 48 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Williamsburg, VA  

Old (#18)
Thanks krimzondestiny

Prop update for today. You have to guess which one is mine and which one is the original:

I'm also half way through making the house walls/door/shelves which I'm creating together to make sure everything lines up properly.
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#19)
Just thought I'd mention that I'm putting this project on hold while I learn to use Maya.

A lot of companies (including Rare) use Maya and it can only improve my job prospects if I learn how to use it as well as having my experience with 3DS Max.
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#20)
Danm! This is old school! Totally making justice to it aswell! Keep it up!
Offline , polygon, 675 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Dallas, TX  

Old (#21)
The art style does seems a little bit mixed, some things seems more painted than realistic. Try and identify your style and stick to it. I really like the honey comb, so that would be the way I would go.
Offline , vertex, 37 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  

Old (#22)
After leaving it for a while and looking back, you guys are definitely right about the mix of art styles.

I haven't updated this for a while as I've been working on a huge gap in my portfolio - namely man-made environments and hard surfaces.
So if I still have the enthusiasm for this project afterwards, I'll come back and completely overhaul the textures to tie closer together in style.

It's really odd looking at some assets though, as I could make some of them in seconds now, where they took me a little while to create at the time!

Edit: And I'd go about creating the entire scene completely differently now. For starters, I'd create the whole environment in Maya, completing all the models in a single scene before moving to UDK and mass importing them as .fbx files.

Last edited by SirCalalot; 05-08-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Previously at FuturLab
UDK Banjo-Kazooie Scene

Old (#23)
ya man, i just took a look at your WIPs and at your last post, didn't see what anyone else said, but i think you should go with the painted texture look. I'm not sure of the art style of the wood (in the pic with your carpet) but if you were going the painted texture route with that, than i suggest accenting the edges more, more subtle on the wood noise and broader strokes in the shades of brown
Offline , vertex, 38 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012,  

Old (#24)
People keep making scenes from my favorite games in UDK and it makes me miss them so much. Looks amazing.
Offline , null, 18 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#25)
this is ace work man cant wait to see it finished!
Offline , triangle, 266 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location new jersey