Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mini Scene Industrial Sci Fi

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
I am making a small scene, loosely based on these concepts by an unknown artist from my "cool shit" folder. I plan on switching out the center piece.

vCNeH.jpg

Plans
Current Gen Texturing
Better UV space usage layout.
Impove my texturing/materials.
Continue importing into UDK.
Import a small animation into UDK.
Particles!
Uninstall Skyrim.

Be finished by Febuary 4, so I can start on the next scene.

Edit: Failed the date. Just trying to make this as good as I can

Replies

• Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First HiPoly piece, have a few spots needing more detail, but...

9LGNu.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    You might want to take a step back (literally) and look at your model. Many of your control edges seem to tight. Don't be afraid to exaggerate your bevels and insets, it will help them read better in your bakes. The cylinder on top also seems to small (in diameter) in comparison to the picture on the right.

Good work otherwise, seems like a fun little project. I will be keeping an eye out.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dismembered, I don't have much experience with highpoly modeling, not like you, your guns are pretty sweet! Do I need to loosen the edges more?

Also Progress:

Y1gyv.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am moving further and further away from the concept, I am not sure that is a good thing or not.
    More Progress
    CKynY.jpg

I think I need to make the wires thicker, and play with the depth of a few of the pieces. I need to figure out how I am going to have the screens come up.

C&C always welcome
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Hey in my opinion it would be better to loosen the edges still. It only helps in the bakes.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snake, I am just worried that it will begin looking like mush. I will loosen them up so more.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I know it maybe a little late for this, but maybe not. I like the idea for the newer center piece, but it doesn't quite fit the room I don't think. The room is very round in an angular kinda way. I'm just thinking your new center piece is going to read as a block and not flow with the room as well. Just an idea.

Also I agree with the above posters, the edges are still a bit to tight. Also you need to exaggerate the depths of your slats and cuts into the model itself. You wont get a very strong normal if you bake out what you have so far.

Keep working on it, I love the concept and am excited to see where you take this.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff! Keep rolling with it!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    For the next time, I would suggest you to start up with a blocking to match the proportions of the environment.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ariofighter: Yeah, definately doesn't really fit as is, will be changing the rest of the scene to fit.
    Megalmn: Been playing with the porportions on the scene, not totally satisfied yet, Master Pyro Man is just there for scale.

PWk4p.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the Center piece High Poly is done

MvcfI.jpg

Going for the rest of the environment.

C&C Welcome

<edit> Also, have my first interview next week. Even if I don't get the job, I know that I have a chance to get another interview, until I get a job!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, block out mostly done, have to play with a few spots and made the first idea for lighting it. Thinking white, blue-green and yellow-orange lights.

ObXY9.jpg

Thoughts, ideas, etc?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockout colors could work. I would suggest making the colors really subtle though...right now they are very saturated. Also, your lights seem to have a sharp falloff. It would be nice if all the lights blended together a little bit better instead of having a bunch of circle shapes.

I'm still concerned for the high poly of your center piece. Your extrusions don't seem to have a very good angle on them..those details won't read well in your normal map. Any details that stick out..such as the panels..should have closer to a 45 degree angle..even if it wouldn't actually look like that...since it will help sell depth in the bake.

For the overall size of the scene...I'm not sure how its looking in udk, but compared to your character, it seems a little open and "wide" compared to the concept.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you gsokol, I will desaturate the lights and work on the fall offs. The hall is a bit too wide, but I am unsure how to show the scene without a wide hallway, but inside the room, it feels right.

As for the center piece, well, I keep getting crits about it being too tight and angles being wrong, but no specific places.... SO, going to try some test bakes to try to figure it out. Guess I am not ready for quick turn overs on pieces.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, moving further from the concept... Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

p1ff9.jpg

Getting what is meant about the looser edges, Hopefully by the end of this project I will have a good handle on it. C&C welcome
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your attack on this scene is too simplistic.

The current high detail meshes being used to generate normal maps are boxes with a few extruded boxes and edges being baked on boxes.

There's not any real issue here conceptually, it's the execution. Think more about exaggerating your shapes in the high detail meshes. Go wild. Get insane! Pipes, plates, excitement!

Folks like Kevin Johnstone have spent their entire career showing us the benchmark. It's important we listen.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62114
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90110

If anything, at least replace that UDK default material with a blank mat BEFORE baking lighting and presenting as it heavily influences the result.

Also, I noticed you subliminally hate this scene. evidence:

sorrybro.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hahah i was just going to say that you have a negative faces theme going on :P beat me to it.. how are you generating the normals and at what scale? im doing alot of normal mapping at the moment and it would be good to see how yours are comming out.. :) looking cool though man
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris: Damn it! Can NOT unsee that face! But I can 'fix' it!

5tV0m.jpg

So Chris... you want me to compare my work to Kevin Fucking Johnstone? Damn it!

I did figure out a three step plan to take over his spot at epic though...

Step 1. Open Max.

Step 2. ???

Step 3. PROFIT!

But seriously, yeah.. Time to go nutz.

Nistrum, I will post some normals next update with a discription, but a lot of it is flat surfaces, which I will be trying to avoid.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    the kevin johnstone post really inspired me to step my stuff thanks chris :D im too far off having any of my modular parts done to post anything yet. and the extra hours spent detailing my stuff after seeing the epic GOW stuff its only further off. but ill tag along here for a bit and post some CC on stuff when i get some. :P
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, I have tried to paint over the concept. I guess it is a way to learn to draw...

qDbCk.jpg

ok, progress.

NpVox.jpg
    light and stairs are udk's
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Saso, I like it more open, if you look closely, at the concepts on the perspective is screwed up. I am using it more for a guide than a blueprint.

This will one of the side pieces leading up to the stairs

oPiys.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress

Hopefully, this is closer to what Chris Holden was saying.G4WIU.jpg
  • LondonFella
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost control of the scene. So starting over using the concept even less.

Block out

78nTz.jpg