Author : tsmith3d

Old (#26)
I only started using my tablet for 3D art recently (I occasionaly used it for 2D art the past few years), and I have to say the pressure sensitivity makes a huge difference. If you use Photoshop and Zbrush with a pressure sensitive tablet, you will never have to worry about opacity and intensity again. This makes things so much easier, and your workflow so much smoother. You will start wondering how you ever survived without it!

Thats said, I have a Wacom Intuos 3, and its a really good piece of hardware, but the software keeps causing problems with Photoshop and ZBrush and I have to re-install it every so often. Massive pain in the arse!

EDIT: cptSwing
'mouse' mode is when your pen moves like a mouse, so you have to drag it to move position. I much prefer 'pen' mode, just jumps to wherever you need it.
Offline , polycounter, 808 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Edinburgh  

Old (#27)
I have an intuos 4 medium mapped across 2x24" monitors in pen mode which suits me down to the ground. I use a tablet for everything.....Zbrush, Maya, Max, Silo,etc... the only thing that I use a mouse for is UDK...cos its impossible not too

I am lost at work when I have to do something on someone elses machine though...I really cant use a mouse while modelling to save my life.
Portfolio
Character Monkey Chez Guerrilla Games
Offline , polycounter, 1,040 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009,  

Old (#28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth. View Post
I have an intuos 4 medium mapped across 2x24" monitors in pen mode which suits me down to the ground. I use a tablet for everything.....Zbrush, Maya, Max, Silo,etc... the only thing that I use a mouse for is UDK...cos its impossible not too

I am lost at work when I have to do something on someone elses machine though...I really cant use a mouse while modelling to save my life.
Ok, I still dont know how you guys manage to be comfortable mapping your wacom to both widescreen monitors ...
Character Artist @ Digital Extremes
www.thatpolygon.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,656 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location London Canada  

Old (#29)
^ yeah same here. unless you have massive tablets and can afford to map the screen space to a portion of the tablet only. ;-)

SCB: cheers! Will give it a try, maybe i'll prefer it to toggling active screens all the time (i assume that's a problem i wouldn't have with mouse mode)
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,623 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Berlin  

Old (#30)
Indeed. I had one of those larger sized wacoms at my previous studio and I felt like I didn't want to rob myself of all that realestate by mapping it across both screens. Not only that but you lose a large chunk of bottom area if you select proportional mapping.

I've seen people do both.. At the same time... Bizzare!
www.thatpolygon.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,656 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location London Canada  

Old (#31)
If your tablet is large enough, try resting it on your lap, propped up against the edge of the desk. This'll mimic drawing on a sketch pad, will keep your desk free for your keyboard so you don't have to move shit around continuously, and you get to use it for shortkeys.
Geospheres rule, regular spheres drool!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,615 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location the Netherlands (Europe)  

Old (#32)
All good advice! Thanks! I just bought a new Wacom 4 tablet and will start using it this week for the first time. (excited)
Offline , line, 59 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location North Idaho & Daegu South Korea Send a message via MSN to Azreality  

Old (#33)
for those who think you need a tablet to be good or productive in zbrush or as a 3d artist is wrong.

I use a mouse in photoshop and zbrush. I have zero issues
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...e-ip/x/8316764

1 |2| 3
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,509 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#34)
I hope that's a joke Hboy??

Pretty sure I'd have some massive wrist and pointer finger problems if I tried painting my textures with a mouse xD
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,693 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hboybowen View Post
for those who think you need a tablet to be good or productive in zbrush or as a 3d artist is wrong.

so the industry is wrong?
www.thatpolygon.com

Old (#36)
Better tools makes your life easier, I don't know why artist would not be willing to pay $100 for a bamboo at least.
Offline , I love typing, 8,599 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#37)
its a preference thing. I'm sure no employer would say "wait you use a mouse" gtfo.

@jessica: carpal's tunnel maybe and pointer is no issue for me neither is pressure sensitivity,I'd rather do it manually anyways.

@zacd:I have a Wacom Intuose 2 XL...I never use it.
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...e-ip/x/8316764

1 |2| 3
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,509 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#38)
Quote:

I haven't heard anybody say you NEED to, but it is more productive using a tablet while doing 3d.
World Artist | Bethesda Game Studios
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,399 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#39)
Quote:

ssoooo many issues dude
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,643 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#40)
Quote:
its a preference thing. I'm sure no employer would say "wait you use a mouse" gtfo.

@jessica: carpal's tunnel maybe and pointer is no issue for me neither is pressure sensitivity,I'd rather do it manually anyways.

@zacd:I have a Wacom Intuose 2 XL...I never use it.
I don't believe I've ever met someone who could produce professional level work using only a mouse.
Offline , Moderator++, 8,123 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snader View Post
If your tablet is large enough, try resting it on your lap, propped up against the edge of the desk. This'll mimic drawing on a sketch pad, will keep your desk free for your keyboard so you don't have to move shit around continuously, and you get to use it for shortkeys.
+1

I am using an Intuos4 M and use this technique, I have quick access to my keyboard and it feels the most natural way of doing it to me

atm I'm using 2x24" 1920x1080 monitors but map my tablet to one screen and check force proportions. adds a little dead space to the bottom of the tablet surface since the intuos4 surface is 16:10, not 16:9 but it means I get 1:1 mapping for my pen position to the screen
Offline , spline, 139 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location Liverpool, United Kingdom Send a message via Skype™ to Tokusei  

Old (#42)
I used to work with a mouse for a looong time. Made (but never finished) this with just a mouse. Trust me when I say a tablet is nicer. Much more natural.
Geospheres rule, regular spheres drool!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,615 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location the Netherlands (Europe)  

Old (#43)
I get a bit of a swore wrist after using a mouse for hours on end at work so it's definitely nice switching to a tablet.

You get use to them really quickly, I couldn't live without one now. Just open up a blank canvas in Photoshop and sketch lots of lines and circles etc and it will begin to feel natural.
Offline , spline, 224 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Scotland  

Old (#44)
I remember when I first used a tablet, I was so uncoordinated I almost gave up. I kept with it for a few more days till I got the hang of it and I never used Zbrush with a mouse since. Using a tablet definitely helps.
Offline , triangle, 294 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#45)
I remember Craig Mullins saying he was using a mouse when he did the Marathon concept art. That said I think you're slowing yourself down if you do.

To the original point, just keep using it. I found it weird when i first started. Now placement doesn't matter so much but I do like to keep it parallel to the monitor. (ie not tilted at an angle relative to the monitor)
Offline , triangle, 339 Posts, Join Date Oct 2005,  

Old (#46)
Its all about practice. I use my wacom to model in 3d packages, not just in photoshop and such. That really feels weird for a good bit. But now I when I use my mouse to try and do things I feel like a gimped cripple haha.

Just keep doing it and it will eventually become second nature.
Anthony Vaccaro - Portfolio - Twitter
Environment Artist - Naughty Dog
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,263 Posts, Join Date Jun 2008, Location Santa Monica, CA Send a message via AIM to Autocon Send a message via MSN to Autocon  

Old (#47)
well people can make good art with a frickin etch a sketch
so sure its probably possible for someone to create good art with a mouse.

but most likely they could create much better art with better tools. and faster.
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,643 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#48)
Yeah it takes a shot while to get used to that hand-eye disconnect. For me the only problem I really have still is pressure sensitivity. It's often useless to me since I used to draw on paper only with hard leads like HB, so when I use my intuos 2 with it's shiny surface I often push very hard to get that tactile feel. Not very comfortable after a few hours.
Offline , polygon, 688 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Melbourne, Australia Send a message via MSN to Snacuum Send a message via Skype™ to Snacuum  

Old (#49)
^
You need to ease up there buddy... If not for the sake of the hardware, do it because its super super useful to have pressure sensitivity when digitally painting. Not just for opacity but for brush thickness. It's really hard for me to get line thickness variance with just a mouse, it just doesn't happen, you get one thickness per stroke like the etch-a-sketch above and that just blows.
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,583 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dygert View Post
^
You need to ease up there buddy... If not for the sake of the hardware, do it because its super super useful to have pressure sensitivity when digitally painting. Not just for opacity but for brush thickness. It's really hard for me to get line thickness variance with just a mouse, it just doesn't happen, you get one thickness per stroke like the etch-a-sketch above and that just blows.
I know man I know. Still trying to get used to it. Paper is springy so I am very used to feeling the feedback from the paper to know how much pressure I am applying and therefore the thickness, but a wacom is flat and smooth. It got to the point that I was never sure about the thickness of my brush according to my brush presets (not helped by photoshop's default "soft" brushes that just get hard as they get smaller, seriously...) I simply change my thickness manually and trace edges. In fact if you guys watched me make any art in any program you would be horrified at my inefficiency, I so used to it that I can very quickly do things the labourious and inefficient way (ie. I really haven't customised any of my menus or even really use hotkeys)

But I'm working on it.
Offline , polygon, 688 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Melbourne, Australia Send a message via MSN to Snacuum Send a message via Skype™ to Snacuum