Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Mudbox] Spartan Character

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I'm a third year Games Tech student and my current assignment is to create a high poly character using 3DS and Mudbox. I've chosen to do a Spartan (300-inspired)

I'm a complete noob to Mudbox. Apart from a couple of sculpts I've done in practice, this is my first "big" application of it so I thought I'd post my progress so far and try and get some feedback from people who have more experience than I...

I began with a basic male body shape, and sculpted the basic muscles etc.

torso1-1024x492.png

And a bit of work on the face..

manrender-1024x492.jpg

assignment2-1024x492.png

More

manprogress2-1024x492.jpg

Detailing

mandetails2-1024x492.jpg

And finally, the colour so far

manpaint1-1024x492.jpg

Any advice / criticism would be fantastic, thanks!

Replies

• nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's really blobby and rather badly defined.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    gmax5 wrote: »
    That's one war-torn Spartan you have there... although I cant for the life of me understand the ripped cape for some odd reason. Other than that, Very outstanding art work. You may also want to add some more blood on the character for a more torn appearance.

ok marks Gmax down on the list of either blind or completely insane.

You seem to have done something pretty common with sculpting tools.
    you got a rough loose base then started adding details scars, wrinkles and a dress that seems to be made out of yellow putty. then you started tossing on some colors and overlays, and in the end you have a blobby thing that only a gmax5 can love. you really need to spend a lot more time on your base forms before slapping down big scars and stuff like that. i know it seems like mudbox and zbrush are magic art making machines, but theres a lot of subtle work that needs to be laid down before great art apears
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Going to have to agree with Rhinokey and Snader.

It seems you've skipped the forms all over. The chest armor for example: looking at spartan armor on google, you should be able to see how yours is off. The general shape is there, but yours looks more like a female corset thing than a spartan's chest armor at the moment.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of like the others said.

You were doing good with the head! I'd say go back to the armor and give it some more love. And don't bother with the textures or render yet, try to get a good feel out of the sculpt.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with others. It's really promising piece, but push it goddamit! It seems really rushed, especially textures are a letdown.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll admit I have rushed the armour somewhat.. I was planning on modelling them in 3DS and then importing but I was having a nightmare getting everything to fit and subdivide properly. So the armour was just done from the basic shape of the man. I totally agree with your points I've just been quite eager to finish it. Anyone recommend some good tutorials which may help me out?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the most disturbing thing about this in my poinion is how that armour kinda looks like he's wearing a boob tube...

I'd check out the eat3d tutorial (this one) on making a full hi-res character, and you'll figure out some good ways of making armour etc, hope that helps