Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Fungi W.I.P.

Hey, Polycount. I decided that I had been lurking long enough and it was time to start a personal project to improve as many of my skills as possible.
My name is John Carter and I am a 2nd year Game Art Student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.
My goal is to concept, model, and texture a current-gen game environment prop. Once created, I will import it into UDK and create an accompanying particle system.

Here is the progress that I have made so far, starting with reference material leading into concepts and the base mesh in its current state.

MoodBoard_Fungi.jpg
SilhouetteIdeation.jpg
ShaggyMushroomConcept.jpg
BaseMesh01.jpg

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. I am doing this in my spare time for fun, but I hope to improve as much as possible along the way. Thanks for looking.

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    i really like the concept :) i wish you use them in your progress .. for the base mesh look good
    and good luck with this .. and wath color are you planning for this thing ?
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    i like the details on your concept. be sure to add some interesting color variation to it as fungi usually has that going on with it.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tangentially related, this made me think of 'nausicaa, of the valley of the wind' with its fungal-esque, eh, fungi and things.

What that means is that your sketches have a strong style to them and that you should continue these.
  • Lazurah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

I will try to make the final model more colorful than my original concept, although I will keep its basic color scheme.

Pictures of the high-poly are incoming as soon as I make some meaningful progress on it. A bit busy at the moment, what with it being the holidays and all.
  • Lazurah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a bit on the high-poly sculpt today. I'm still relatively new to using Zbrush in practice so if anyone could give me any pointers, I'd appreciate it. I primarily used the standard, dam_standard, clay tubes, and noise brush.

HiPolySculpt01.jpg

The stalk is not finished and I realize that I need to get the cap looking more like my original concept. In any case, it's some progress but I'm not satisfied with the high-poly yet.
  • Lazurah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After several days of being out of town, I have returned home to finish the high-poly and bake the normals and lighting maps into the base mesh.
    Normals%26LightingBaked.jpg
    Normals%26LightingBaked_Flats.jpg
    I increased the base mesh's tri-count from 992 to 3840 after realizing that I would lose a lot of detail in the bake unless I gave myself more tris to work with.
    Next up, Diffuse and Specular textures.