Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Martin "VertexBee" Punchev

Replies

• CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    In the mean while, you can check out a detailed making of explaining how I did this guy , just follow this link16_DeepOneFinal_s.jpg

P.S I'm sketching some neo-vampires/bat creatures right now, hope to show them soon :))
  • Krhiven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thread! Subscribed.
  • altasa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome new stuff you've made since I last visited
    keep them coming
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krhiven, altasa - thank you !

Finally we made a presentation of our small project called "the journey". You may already sean a red bearded guy somewhere here in my sketchbook, that happens to be the main hero of the game.

See the full presentation --> link

To see the video walktrough --> vimeo link

Here are few art pieces from the presentation, make sure to see the rest :

JourneyLogo_s.jpg

JourneyConceptsAnim_s.gif
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are from last week , but I didn't have time to post the earlier. Amazing exercise, whenever I do something like this I realize how important is to
    practice the foundation stuff. Should do more of these and more often !
    I did a couple of dosen more, but decided not to post them here and bore you to death :) Some of them took me 7 to 10 min, other were done for 4-5 minutes. I couldn't set the bar lower than 4 minutes , but I definitely pushed. <br /><br />

animal_gestures.jpg

One thing in particular that helped me was to sit down and study horse anatomy. After that it was a bit more easy to draw horses, my eye started to actually see and interpret as opposed to just copying lines. What I really want to share with you is what I actually realized while studying the horse at my own (I mean without dvd guidance or tutorial of some sort). The stuff that I was able to observe by myself, the formulas that I invented to simplify the understanding of the proportions and the muscles, were immidietely stored in my memory. This made me think of the way we should learn, passive versus active learning (in this case passive will be watching a dvd and sleeping throughout it, and active would be learning and hunting for knowledge by yourself) and how effective it can be. Several days later I even stumbled upon an interesting article about modern day education which confirmed my theory that we gain most benefit when studying at our own. You can check the article <a href="http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_khan/&quot; title="khan's academy " target="_blank">here</a> if you are interested in this kind of stuff. Think about it for a second, the great masters lived in an era where they actually invented all the techniques and elaborate methods of depicting nature, they didn't study anatomy from books , they conducted autopsies and observed the real thing !
    Enough talking, I'm going to invent, observe, and finally consume a quick sandwich, because all that effort of trying to write and think in English , made me hungry. <br /><br />

horse_anatomy.jpg
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    " if you are interested in this kind of stuff. Think about it for a second, the great masters lived in an era where they actually invented all the techniques and elaborate methods of depicting nature, they didn't study anatomy from books , they conducted autopsies and observed the real thing !"

So when do we get to see the results of the autopsies you're going for? :D

Also excellent piece of advice. I think with something as vast as video game art, that covers many different styles, creatures, places etc along with many different ways of achieving the game ready asset, new comers can easily get lost giving how much information there is to learn so feel the only way to catch up is tutorials.

However there are some amazing tutorials out there, Alienthink.com's structure of man in an incredible series at breaking down the human body and learning to draw it from your mind in bitesize chunks as an example. I find when watching most tutorials I just watch how they use the tools and the effects they get to see if it can help streamline what I achieved and to also see what is possible with a new toolset.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki wrote: »
    ... new comers can easily get lost giving how much information there is to learn so feel the only way to catch up is tutorials.

You are so right, man, this is something I wanted to express, but forgot to.

They are definitely good tutorials out there, and there are many that are a must watch ones, but I think it is good for someone to conduct his own investigations every now and than along with the absorbing of good learning materials (books, dvds).
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, long time since my last post. I have to complain a bit, my hard drives caused me trouble and I haven't been able to use my PC for a while, now that everything is OK here is a character that I recently created.

This is Kriss.

kriss_textured.jpg

Can't say much about it because I made him for an unpublished project that is still in development. I've just got the permission to show it, so here it is in his full glory.

I plan to do a separate, more detailed post for him to show you how I used the new hair features in zbrush to get the feathers look the way there are now.
    In brief, I created them in zbrush , export them to 3dsmax and used render to texture to bake them
    for the final texture (actually I used RTTassist, but it is the same thing anyway). From then on it was regular old school painting in PS. I'll show you some process images soon, I promise ! And if I don't do it soon enough, you are free to spam my mail or blog until I do.

Here is the model without textures:

kriss_sculpt_m.jpg

P.S. If you haven't backup your important data on a separate hard drive or other medium,do it right now ! I was so close to loosing my data, it is not a good feeling . Backup.
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe that penguin is super cool :) Looking forward to see some breakdowns!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Callesw, thanks buddy ! :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exercising again, this time trying to fit a dragon in an environment in a pleasing way. I'll need to practice this kind of things more, cause I felt they are far away from my comfort zone.

This guy started out as a single dragon flying in a cave with no reason , but after a friend's suggestion, I expanded the canvas and added a little area of interest - two dragon younglings crying for their mother.

01CaveDragon.jpg

This below is just horrible, so you only get the small size image and no matter how much you insist I won't share the high-res :D

03CanyonDragons_s.jpg

And a moon loving fellow :)

02MoonDragon.jpg

Crits are welcome guys, more than welcome actually :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Fantastic work mate (as usual)! Couldn't expect anything lesser from ya :)

Nothing I can crit on, only hope to be as good some day ;)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, dude ! Glad you like them and to see that you still check this thread. I have something else to share.

I just couldn’t resist to share with you a little clue about a personal project that I’m working on. I can’t tell you much detail because I want it to be a surprise, I will only tell you that it involves creatures and it is in collaboration with some crazy talented artist, who’s work I’m sure you all are familiar with…

Here is a quick creature thumbnails just to tease you a bit:

warewulf_teaser_thumbs2.jpg

I can’t keep secrets, I already said too much. More information and artwork will be revealed soon ,so stay tuned :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This creature was made for Anthony Jones' amazing course. If you follow my blog you've probably remember the weird dragon sketches that I've posted some time ago, some animal drawings and studies too. All those were assignments for the course. I had really great time following his lectures and doing the homework, learn tons of things and I feel more confident in drawing and painting than before. Did I mention the course was uber-fantastic x 2 ? :) Anthony is true master of his craft and during those 9 weeks of education with him , he shared tons of insights on design, drawing, painting, anatomy and more. It was very motivating and inspiring journey for me, I can't wait to take another schoolism class ! :))

Here is the angry fellow I've submitted for final assignment

creature_illustration_l.jpg

Now, I know you are curious person and that you like to inspect images for imperfection so here is a link to even more bigger version of this image (2500px) - click here

Attention : Critiques are more than welcome, I'm always searching for improvement, so speak your mind if you think something could be done in a better way.

Some links:

Anthony's blog: click here
    His schoolism course page: click here
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Studies , studies, studies. The ones below I did for one of the assignments for Anthony Jones' creature course. Photo studies intended to train my eye to recognise colors (the picking tool was not allowed as an option ) :) and a material sphere made of feathers and then applying what I've learned from the material sphere to the demon parrot.

Photo studies:<br /><br />
    photocolorstudies_m.jpg

Demon parrot:<br /><br />
    parrot_mat_study_m.jpg

And a tip I want to share although I'm sure anyone familiar with photoshop already knows this - using the smudge tool for edge control:<br /><br />
    SmudgeToolEdgeControl.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I probably shouldn't even comment on your sketchbook anymore since you already know what I have to say about your work :) It's great! Can't wait to see more of your studies!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viktor, thanks a lot dude ! You are always welcome to comment here :) I was actually thinking to reduce the studies for a while and do few bigger projects, but we'll se what will I came up with.

Cheers!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick creature doodle.

creature_doodle.jpg
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I do not see any pictures in this thread... sorry. Been so hiped by the good comments and cant see anything =[
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco wrote: »
    I do not see any pictures in this thread... sorry. Been so hiped by the good comments and cant see anything =[

Really ? well that is really strange, I'm hosting all of my images on my site, I didn't have any problems till now, hmmm. Will haved to resolve this...
  • oskarreftel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin, you're sketchbook is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration! Subscribed!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Those photo studies..... Beautiful! Your work carries so much motion and each one tells a story. Amazing work my friend
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks ! Haven't post anything in a while, this time I want to share with you my entry for a recent competition - the double happy creature challenge. I've opened a new thread for this here, make sure to check it out, there are several images explaining my process behind this creature. Hope you like it :)

06_oolark_final_entry.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your work! So jealous!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you mate !
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks !

I'm happy to let you know that a long anticipated project between me and few friends (crazy talented artist) is finally online.
    Fan of creatures? Than make sure to stop by regularly at the creature atelier

The first monthly project will be announced within few days.
    Spread the word guys and happy monster making!

fb_banner_s.jpg
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, below are some sketches and thumbnails done for the creature atelier, crits and comments are welcome :)

ca_vampire01.jpg

ca_werewolf.jpg

ca_werewolves.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are awesome! great work!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    very interesting Thread CodeFather :)

Keep up the good work ;)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ocarian ! Appreciated :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing fancy this time, just some quick studies on shading planar stuff and some anatomy sketches that I was able to squeeze out between projects.

ValueStudy_PlanarSurface1_s.jpg

ValueStudy_PlanarSurface2_s.jpg

Two tips:
    AnatomyTip01_ribcage_s.jpg

AnatomyTip02_stomachfossa_s.jpg

Some poor anatomy sketches:
    AnatomySketches_s.jpg
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't been posting in a while, I was really busy the last few months.
    Anyway,Here is an old work I did for the talented guys at Rmory Studios.

They were really kind to provide a solid blueprint for this combat suit which really helped me
    to jump right into modeling and finish the piece faster.
    Also I need to mention that the gun was also provided by them.I was commissioned to do only the combat suit.

CombatSuit_Turnaround_m.jpg

CombatSuit_m.jpg

Something that may be of interest is the workflow I used - I made the basemesh in 3dsmax using a more streamlined
    SubD modeling technique. I've took advantage of two not so known features - the edge creasing and vertex
    weights. Once the basemesh was done I detailed and posed it in zbrush.

In a nutshell:
    Create a low-polygon model and set all the edges that you need to be sharp and crisp to be at 1.0 crease value.
    To be in greater control of the surface you can also assign weights to the vertices.
    After you are done add a turbo smooth modifier. It will preserve the creased edges and the weights and in the same
    time smooth the rest of the surfaces. When you have a decent amount of mesh density trow in one more turbo
    smooth in the stack to omit the cg looking perfect edges and round them too.

I'll promise to post a super mini tutorial on this next week or sooner, so stay tuned ! :)

Martin
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Very inspirational sketchbook sir!
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Your studies are amazing mind blowing. I enjoyed the four pages of this very much. Wow, I need to do studies my self! So inspiring.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Uh, dafuq, never looked into here as far as I can remember! Nice work! Creature Atelier stuff is kickass!
    I did and didnt see pictures. Took some time! Cool stuff!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ebagg - Thanks man !

@PacoCasares - Thank you, studies are really great. You are learning and progressign and in the same time you have a sense of satisfaction because they are relatively easy to complete and don't take so much time. :)

@acapulco - thank you for liking these. Also thanks for helping me troubleshoot my web hosting problem :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last week I've mentioned about this special SubD modeling technique and promised to write a brief tutorial, so here it is.

In a nutshell:

Create a low-polygon model and set all the edges that you need to be sharp and crisp to be at 1.0 crease value.
    To be in greater control of the surface you can also assign weights to the vertices.
    After you are done add a turbo smooth modifier. It will preserve the creased edges and the weights and in the same
    time smooth the rest of the surfaces. When you have a decent amount of mesh density trow in one more turbo
    smooth in the stack to omit the cg looking perfect edges and round them too.

Here is a simple example of this (click the image to see high-res ):

SimpleExample.jpg

The cube in the middle has several edges set to use crease value of 1.0. You can see that after adding a turbo
    smooth modifier on top , the creasing keeps the edges super sharp and the turbo smooth takes care the rest of the
    surface. The third cube has not only edge creases but has also weights applied to some of the vertices - this gives
    you additional level of control.

For the zbrush users out there, the concept of edge creasing in 3dsmax is the same as the creasing that you can
    find in the tool>geometry>crease rollout.

Pros:

The pros of this technique is that you don't have to add additional loops (extra chamfering the corners) to control
    the surface. It is super fast ! You can block in a model within minutes and continue the polishing work in zbrush for
    instance.

In a mather of fact you can be lazy and keep all kinds of n-sided polyies with this technique. Here on the image below you can
    see what I mean. If you add creasing to the loops they will hold up the surface and the n-gon will not show artefacts.

The vertex weighting is a great way for varying the edges, making them transition from soft to hard.

One more thing - the cage model can quickly be turned into a low-poly model ! On the other hand if you did the
    regular sub d modeling technique where you put a lot of extra loops and chamfers to control the surface, to create
    a low-poly you need to do some clean up work. With this technique you do not need to do the cleaning step.

Here is another a bit more complex example. This model on the image is part of this character

ComlexExample01.jpg

Bonus tips:

Instead of the second turbo smooth modifier that is used to round up the sharp edges, you can add the old school
    mesh smooth modifier which does the same thing ,but gives you even more control. You can use it to add a second level
    of vertex weights !

You can mix the techniques ! You can start with the crease/vertex technique and whenever you want continue with
    the regular practices of sub-D modeling, adding chamfers and support loops here and there.

This technique is especially good for building proxy models for retopology use. I've written a more comprehensive

tutorial about a modeling technique that uses the retopology tools in max. You can check it out here
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work as always Martin! And thanks for the mini tut :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viktor, thanks a lot man ! :)

Here is a speed painting I did for fun recently.
    It all started by trying out a custom brush which resulted in the small sci-fi submarine
    which then led to the obvious conclusion that a sci-fi submarine could not look thrilling
    if not chased by a giant cute plesiosaurus.

cute_plesiosaurus.jpg
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody, see what I got in the mail today – quite heavy,surprisingly well printed and absolutely
    amazing box full with … well with amazing artworks! ( sorry if I disappointed someone who expect amazing
    boxes to be full with something else, I like mine to be packed with art :D ).

Congrats to all the artist whose artworks fills its pages and kudos to 3d total for publishing this large
    body of works with wonderful variety – five books featuring pieces in different categories from characters
    to sci-fi and scenery. Must have I would say!

One sci-fi character I did a while ago made it to the final selection.Yeah, very happy!

Cheers!
    Martin

PrimePhoto2_s.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey congrats on making to it to the artbook!
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the subd modeling tips, congrats on the book!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gratz man!:) Thats awesome!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thank you very much ! :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, the character in the slide below was used as an example in a short lecture I did a while ago.

I'm blogging about it here: http://bit.ly/11zEc0t (there is video , but unfortunately the lecture is presented in Bulgarian).

characterdesign_lecture_01.jpg

This character is in prototype stage, I'll post the finished one hopefully soon. It will be one of the main character classes in a game I'm working on.

Comments and critiques appreciated :)

Cheers !
    Martin
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did this helmet design as a practice before a week. I was testing a new technique combining rough zbrush sculpt with bunch of overlaid photos on top and overpainting the whole thing.

I've posted a simple gif animation explaining the process on my blog, here.

helmet_design.jpg

Cheers!
    Martin
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some practicing.
    Hope I’ll have more free time to finish this guy, gave him proper texture and render.If you have any ideas about how to treat the coloring and patterns, I would love hear them !

alien_bust_vertexbee_m.jpg

Cheers!
    Martin
  • selvesteHE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh boy, this sketchbook is something else :)