Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Massive* Fantasy

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet work :)
    Nothing to critic on except that it lacks contrast, but as you said you have not spent time on pp or lighting so I figure that will change :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    The model and material work is top class, Chris!
    I can't wait for the next update :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice thanks guys! I'll try to work out some stuff this week, I'm figuring stuff out still, not exactly sure where I should go in terms of art direction. So this week I'll just play around with ideas since I'm really busy with other stuff.

If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to write them down here :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays Work (straight out of the editor):

wip5_1.jpg

wip5.jpg

- Trying out blue color tint for some of the buildings
    - New cobblestone texture (super obvious tiling)
    - Stairs on the Tree
    - Leaves and branches.
    - Small fixes here and there.

Still haven't touched lighting and post-processing, the default UDK template is quite nice actually. But I want something nicer later sooooooo

Feedback and Suggestions appriciated ^^
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It's looking great. I'm actually glad for you that you're now alone on this project. No need for breakdowns and what not when showing it in your portfolio :)
  • michael_Curtiss
    Gorgeous tree. Keep it up!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Gold star, sir. Gold star.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Looking awesome as always. The leaves on the tree do look oversized though. You could probably saturate the red on the buildings, waiting until the lightings done is a good idea. Additional details/elements in and around the yard area in the foreground such as sewer grates etc would break it up.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking excellent but like nathdevlin said the leaves are far too large. It's going to look fantastic once that is settled and hopefully more foliage as well. I can't wait to see more.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello gentlemen :) I agree! The leaves are too big, shall fix this today ;) Make sure it looks a bit more lush as well! I just frickin hate working with trees. So hard to figure out where all the alpha-planes are, it's just a mess. :P

But thanks! :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though you can figure out dimensions from the building, it would still be handy if you had a human figure plonked in the scene temporarily at certain points to help discern sizes.

Looking stellar so far though!
    Are the ripples in the dirt that's on the cobbles orientated in the direction of the wind? As they'd look a bit off if not.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip6.jpg

- Made leaves smaller
    - Tweaks to the Tree in general.
    - Added Sewerpipes
    - Added a canal (running water effects is from UDK content)
    - Bridge placeholder

God I'm tired :poly142:
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Looks amazing! Can't wait to see more, really digging the architecture and the scattered scaffolding. :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow, you're knocking this out quick and it looks great!

Is the water height level or above the foreground floor though? It looks odd...
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    That skywalk is a great touch, nice progress!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great work, Chris! Those pipes and water were a brilliant move.

I was too lazy to type out some ideas for you so I hope you don't mind that scribbled a bit over you lovely picture.
    I realize that it's still a wip and I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but nevertheless:
    http://s15.postimage.org/yof7t1ydl/Chris_Feed.jpg

bullet-point list:
    - greentooth feels a tad out of place there. Colorwise especially for me. I think some pretty golden patterns would work much better.
    - moss comes with the water
    - as do the caustics
    - leaves come with three. it's also always nice to have some particles floating in the air
    - those triangular parts of the building could use some bottom trim for my taste
    - open windows could use a sexy cubemap and maybe even be a bit overblown with a little flare. At least some angle. Could be a nice cherry on your cake.:)

best of luck, mate. Keep it coming!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Wow, you're knocking this out quick and it looks great!

Is the water height level or above the foreground floor though? It looks odd...

True! :) I'll take a look at it, it does look a bit awkward. :thumbup: Thanks!
    d1ver wrote: »
    Great work, Chris! Those pipes and water were a brilliant move.

I was too lazy to type out some ideas for you so I hope you don't mind that scribbled a bit over you lovely picture.
    I realize that it's still a wip and I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but nevertheless:
    http://s15.postimage.org/yof7t1ydl/Chris_Feed.jpg

bullet-point list:
    - greentooth feels a tad out of place there. Colorwise especially for me. I think some pretty golden patterns would work much better.
    - moss comes with the water
    - as do the caustics
    - leaves come with three. it's also always nice to have some particles floating in the air
    - those triangular parts of the building could use some bottom trim for my taste
    - open windows could use a sexy cubemap and maybe even be a bit overblown with a little flare. At least some angle. Could be a nice cherry on your cake.:)

best of luck, mate. Keep it coming!

Thanks man :) Always appriciate the feedback, I actually got falling leaves, when I took the screenshot I managed to miss most of them though haha xD The trim is a good idea! Blending in moss and stuff as well, I'll see what I can do about the caustics, I might be a little bit over my head at the moment :) :thumbup: Thanks!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ahh, omg I LOVE the floor! The ripply sand is a super nice touch, makes the place come alive 8]
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    hey chris,

what if you have that sand pile up at crevices, instead of what you have now, which looks more like someone spread it on the ground and less like the breeze did it naturally.
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks lovely. although the water coming up to the bridge looks weird.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looking very good!
    One thing that strikes me is the scaffolding to the left in the image. I think it would do well with a bit of reinforcing. More/bigger planks/beams. :)

Keep it up!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks great man, really nice lighting you got there!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip7_1.jpg

wip7.jpg

Tried taking most of the feedback into the Scene. Thanks everyone! :)
    This is what I've managed to do today.

- Decals on the canal walls
    - Created a new tilable leaf texture
    - Fake Caustics (Thanks Snefer!) (I realize that they're really hard to spot right now xD)
    - Gate
    - Banner tweaks
    - Bars on sewer pipe

Time to sleep! Working from 08.00 -> 17.00 then on my own project from 17.00 -> 23.30 is tiring :poly142:
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update. Really digging your tree/foliage work. Great idea on the tileable leaf texture, in scene it needs to be blended better with the floor.
    Consider how the leaves would distribute and pile up. I'd imagine they would be spread out more, unless if there is a wind from a certain direction that causes the leaves to pile up more in one direction.
    The Greentooth banner has a weird ripple effect, doesn't read like cloth. Otherwise, everything else is looking solid, can't wait to see more :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say, adding the canal and pipes really do kick this scene to a whole new level :)

I love the leaves pile too - are they vertex-painted with a slight displacement in the Z-axis when the leaves are thick enough?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great, I'm loving the water details on the wall and the foliage looks loads better thought the leaves still seem on the large side. I do find it kinda strange that the banners read far more clearly than the buildings though, maybe it's me but it looks weird. I really want the buildings to show some more color, especially that red.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirCalalot
    Yep pretty much, I paint in vertex offset in the alpha-channel.

@marq4porsche
    Yes I think I need to do another pass on the Tree honestly, needs to be a bit more bushy and lush. Banners need redoing as well. Saturation will probably come with post-processing, there's a limit what I can do with tinting before it starts looking weird. :)

Thanks everyone, updates will hopefully come tonight! ;)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I think you need to add another layer of grunge to the canal wall or replace the current one. You have a kind of dripped effect that doesn't match well with the surface of the water very well. It really looks like it's missing horizontal marks that compliment the waterlevel.

e.g. http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=51872&PHPSESSID=3j489i7aorngg4deih05c7c0m3
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip8.jpg

Okay guys, tried to take in most of the critique. Thanks! :)
    I've been staring at this crap for too long, to me it feels butt-ugly. :poly127:

I'm really tired now, time to go home 23.00 (I've been working on personal projects at work lately (after hours))
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    wowza, this is looking fantastic for UDK!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Oh god my new critique for you is to go home and sleep god damnit man
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good enough to /dance in front of.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Love this scene! It's really awesome!
    The only thing that irritates me, is the bridge... i don't know if it's me but especially the part with the bricks dont seem to be logic in this angle to me ^^
    It would perfectly fit as a straight bridge... maybe thats why it seems to me that the angle isn't really realistic. (if it is still a placeholder, ignore me ;) )
    But your work is beautiful! I'm really admiring this scene!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    /agree on the get some sleep. This is looking awesome!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Really liking this new update! :)
    Only thing I have to crit on, except for my earlier crit is that it's kind of unclear what's going on over at the tree unless you look really hard. Looks really busy. Might just be the small image resolution though. :)

Keep it up man! I'm really enjoying the scene!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This gets better and better!
    One question though - what is the function of the large chains?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get some sleep dude :D

I really enjoy this scene, have and will be following it, maybe you can provide some breakdowns after you are done? ;)

What I am not to found about is the big chains as SirCalatot mentioned.
    Would be nice if you got some more interesting lighting in there, right now it looks so washed out, lacks a focal point and makes it hard to see what's going on with the tree.

Keep on going :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take it easy now ^^

The chains keep the tree in place ofc, there is a tree here in sweden that they've reinforced with metal to keep it together because it's too big and old to hold together by itself.

pix-8zp7dx.jpg

This is an fantasy extension of that pretty much xD I probably will do some more detail to it and add a crack going up the main trunk or something.

and should we really ask about the reasoning behind the chains when you got sewer water going down the main square? xD

It's a fantasy scene, it doesn't have to make a lot of sense xD

Yes I'll probably do a breakdown after it's finished :)
    I'll probably do a pass on the lighting when I feel like it's time ^^ I need to get some nice cool lightsources in there as well.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, I wasn't complaining :D
    I think the chains add a nice variation in silhouettes throughout the scene.

Presumably there is another tree to the left, off-screen?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there is another tree over there as well. Now it'll be another week before I can do any more on this project. :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    That kind of tree would be a great focal point.

Other than that the chains don't really affect the piece. The only thing I'm just wondering is if they are stopping the tree from falling on the house? If so I would make the chains appear a little more tort than they are now.

I'm looking forward to the next update.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Take the week and don't look at it. You'll come back with fresh eyes.

This is looking very awesome, I look forward to next week! :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    absolutely insane
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    this stuff is insane! really beautiful work!
  • Fo062
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fo062 polycounter lvl 8
    fin crazy man...inspiring stuff..
  • searlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searlee polycounter lvl 12
    brilliant stuff, :),.

take a look at Robin Hood's tree in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire, that's currently held up by metal and chains etc.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo since I last made an update I've been to Montreal for a week, then a couple of weeks of rest and ME3 as well as trips to Gothenburg. But now I'm back on it.

Tried to do a night-scene of it, I'll create the finished day-version as well and then I'll call it done and do a quick breakdown for you guys.

FantasyCity_Night1.jpg
    FantasyCity_Night2.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet :)
    I think the grass on the ground looks to lowres and maybe the wood on the blue/grey building at the center could use a bit more love in the texture.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Looks puurfect.
    Raaaawwwrrrr :poly128: