Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Massive* Fantasy

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
Hey there guys, been quite some time since I last posted anything of my own. Been busy with work, honestly ;)

Latest:

CRadsby_FantasyCity_Day1_1000px.jpg
CRadsby_FantasyCity_Night1_1000px.jpg
CRadsby_FantasyCity_Night3_1000px.jpg
CRadsby_FantasyCity_Night4_1000px.jpg
CRadsby_FantasyCity_Night5_1000px.jpg

Replies

• SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Enjoying! Really nice! :)
  • Mooglesarelittle
    Medieval architecture is so awesome. Looking forward to seeing more :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Man, these are sexy. I'd love to see some breakdowns at some point :D
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hehe yess, I love medieval architecture tooo :D Gonna watch this thread!!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome idea. Can't wait to see the progress.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    lookin good so far. definitely reminds me of this:

http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade (may be good to keep on hand).

one thing that does bother me about the buildings is the wood. in some of the screens it just looks like brown concrete almost. and the highlighted edges seem too tacky (not sure if thats the right word, but i just dont like em. lol).
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    What do you mean by modular ? You mean that each wood beam, and wall is separate module ? Or the houses them self are self-containing modules ?

I ask because the first approach do not seem particularly performance-friednly in UDK (and not in any other engine for that matter)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    can't wait for more updates! :D really interested to see what will come out of this
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    What do you mean by modular ? You mean that each wood beam, and wall is separate module ? Or the houses them self are self-containing modules ?

I ask because the first approach do not seem particularly performance-friednly in UDK (and not in any other engine for that matter)

The floors (with wooden beams etc) are modular.

So you have floors you can stack on each other if you want to, add how many windows you want, doors, stairs etc etc. And no it's not that performance-friendly, however you can always work around this by creating all the buildings in 3ds Max with the modular parts and then exporting the finished buildings. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    lookin good so far. definitely reminds me of this:

http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade (may be good to keep on hand).

one thing that does bother me about the buildings is the wood. in some of the screens it just looks like brown concrete almost. and the highlighted edges seem too tacky (not sure if thats the right word, but i just dont like em. lol).

Yeah a big inspiration ofcourse! :) I try to go with more tilable textures though. Hmm wooden beams yeah, I don't necessarily like it to 100% either it gives a bit more detail though. I'll probably change the textures during all of this anyway, but we'll see it depends on how lazy I am during that moment ^^ Thanks for the input though! I'll keep it in mind :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys :) Yeah a brakedown will come when I finish the project, I always take WIP-shots when I'm creating something.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Cool idea! Who else are working on it from le massive? :D
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Reminds me a ton of Chorrol in Oblivion. :thumbup:
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Oooh. These are looking great! I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice, im doing the exact same thing in udk but with a viking fishing village (here). it's taken me a few months so far but with four peopel you should knock it out alot quicker ;).
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Hello chrisradsby , great start!
    you and Disting will do a nice stuff (and document everything ;I hope:) the textures seem good.
    following!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool! I can recognize Disting's clean style on it. Are we gonna have the wireframe and the texture soon? :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! I can recognize Disting's clean style on it. Are we gonna have the wireframe and the texture soon? :)

Textures are actually my own, so right now the style is completely my own ;) we do however try to get everything past our lead so in the end he decides on the changes that needs to be made ;)
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Reminds me a ton of Chorrol in Oblivion. :thumbup:

Oh right, yeah it kinda does! One of my favorite cities in Oblivion. Might have subconsciously made it look a little bit like that! poly120.gif
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Cool idea! Who else are working on it from le massive? :D

Michael Anderson and Søren Seeberg :)

Michael acts like the lead and the level artist, I don't know Søren role yet. He has just shown interest so far. :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looking Ace Chris....it looks clean but lived in. More please :)
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! I would loved to have worked on something like this. I'm a big fan of fantasy style stuff. Been meaning to update my portfolio and thinking of doing some fantasy buildings.
    I've been wondering what is the best way to do roof tiles. How are you doing yours? The way you have broken up the flat areas looks good and the tiles really stand out. Would love to see a wire for them. I was looking at Fable 2 screenshots and it looks like they create detail at the edges/overhangs only and leave the rest flat.
    Fableroofexample.jpg

Can't wait to see how this progresses.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I would loved to have worked on something like this. I'm a big fan of fantasy style stuff. Been meaning to update my portfolio and thinking of doing some fantasy buildings.
    I've been wondering what is the best way to do roof tiles. How are you doing yours? The way you have broken up the flat areas looks good and the tiles really stand out. Would love to see a wire for them. I was looking at Fable 2 screenshots and it looks like they create detail at the edges/overhangs only and leave the rest flat.

Can't wait to see how this progresses.

That's very interesting how fable does it. Hmm, well the roof was a bit tricky. Since I created my normal map from a photo and a heightmap I created from that photo. I had to actually go in and change stuff in the individual RGB-channels to make it look decent.

The trick was pretty much to control how the normal map would be generated from the heightmap. The end of each rooftile has a dark texture that meets white texture for the underlying tile, creating a weird edge in the normal map when generating it. So I had to go in and manually paint-away that bottom edge of each tile, so that the normal map only recognized the top edge making it look a little bit better. It's far from perfect though.

You could probably get an even better result if you do the tiled roof texture in Zbrush since you get a lot of stuff for free. I'm trying to adapt a photoshop-only workflow though for efficiency. :)
  • helldiver
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Cool project! Could you perhaps post the individual modular pieces? Keep up the good work!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, so this is what the buildings where for :)
    Really sweet work, love the look you have got in udk, nice sharp shadows.

Now I feel that the roof tiles lack the same depth as the stone, looks really flat in comparison, I can see that you have added some poly's to the silhouette to the roof, but I think the normal map(or lack of one?) don't bring the depth out enough.

Hope you will be able to post the texture flats for this later, using mostly tiling textures?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, so this is what the buildings where for :)
    Really sweet work, love the look you have got in udk, nice sharp shadows.

Now I feel that the roof tiles lack the same depth as the stone, looks really flat in comparison, I can see that you have added some poly's to the silhouette to the roof, but I think the normal map(or lack of one?) don't bring the depth out enough.

Hope you will be able to post the texture flats for this later, using mostly tiling textures?

I will, they are mostly 100% tilable. The problem is the viewing angle of the roof which kill the normal-effect, I probably would have more detailed roofs if it wasn't so expensive ^^. Haven't seen a game so far where you walk on the ground with super-detailed roofs. Last thing I've seen really detailed roofs was in Assassins Creed for obvious reasons and even then 70% of the buildings had flat roofs.

However! I'll take another look at the normal map of the rooftiles to see if I can make it deeper. I could probably do it in the shader though by multiplying the individual channels of the normal map texture. :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm, I get what you mean, but it was the only thing that stood out to me :)
    Doesn't the texture get lower res do to the mip mapping from that angle?
    That might kill the normal map even more.

Since you are going for a flytrough, is that only from the ground/player height or from above as well where you might see the roofs in more detail.

And even if you don't do anything with the roof thats completely understandable, no need to waste poly's or resources on what won't be seen or noticed.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm, I get what you mean, but it was the only thing that stood out to me :)
    Doesn't the texture get lower res do to the mip mapping from that angle?
    That might kill the normal map even more.

Since you are going for a flytrough, is that only from the ground/player height or from above as well where you might see the roofs in more detail.

And even if you don't do anything with the roof thats completely understandable, no need to waste poly's or resources on what won't be seen or noticed.

Hmm true, we might move the camera higher than the rooftops. I might end up having to put more detail in there. :) It's okay for now though, I'm not doing anything to completion just yet. We need to settle the artstyle and balance all the textures in the end anyways. :poly117:
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I will be following ;)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    any updates on this? i'm curious to see some progress ^^
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    any updates on this? i'm curious to see some progress ^^

I've been taking a big break before and a couple of weeks after Christmas but!

I'm actually I'm working on new stuff right now, however I usually like to show stuff when I have a batch of new things to show. I'm trying to cram in a couple of hours worth on this after work.

Seems like I'm the only one actively working on this project right now. Sooo it'll be a little bit slower :) But bear with me, it will without a doubt show up!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice to see you post some stuff again, I'll be watching this thread. Looks great so far!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Lovely houses, Chris! The only things that bothers me is the chimney. maybe make the bricks tile a little more there? Right now it feels sort of muddy and undefined to me. Maybe add some hard edges? 'Cause it feels sorta too soft for a brick. Can't really put my finger on it.

Also have you've done any kind of more global preproduction? Any color, light, mood, design studies? Would be lovely to see your plans for those.

Keep it up, dudes! It's always great when you have someone to work on personal projects with. :)

cheers
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    definitely gonna follow this. loving the work. keep it up!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    Lovely houses, Chris! The only things that bothers me is the chimney. maybe make the bricks tile a little more there? Right now it feels sort of muddy and undefined to me. Maybe add some hard edges? 'Cause it feels sorta too soft for a brick. Can't really put my finger on it.

Also have you've done any kind of more global preproduction? Any color, light, mood, design studies? Would be lovely to see your plans for those.

Keep it up, dudes! It's always great when you have someone to work on personal projects with. :)

cheers

Oh yeah the Chimney, I plan for something more exciting to put on the rooftops. It's just quickly put together and slammed a texture on just to see how it would look. Thanks for reminding me though!

Regarding the global preproduction, well not a lot honestly. Been researching a bit what kind of environment and mood we want. We have a kind of moodboard but right now we're just prepping models and textures to go into the engine.

Since I'm the only guy working on it actively we'll see what happens, I might start creating a small environment by myself so I can showcase my portion of the project. Right now we're aiming for gritty fantasy with a touch of epic. :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    we're aiming for gritty fantasy with a touch of epic. :)

aaaahh, as good as fantasy gets, buddy:)

now where's mah update?;)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of proper Object updates , I'm currently working on the Master Materials for my Prop Materials and Blend Materials.

I'm trying to add as much as possible ^^

For my Prop Master Material I have this so far:

- Option for Diffusemap or Solidcolor
    - Tinting my diffusemap option
    - Desaturate diffusemap option
    - Global Diffuse UV-scale
    - XY Diffuse UV-scale

Emissive
    - Option for Emissive, sub-options for Emissive Map and Rimlight
    - Rimlight controls (intensity, fresnel power and bias)

Specular
    - Specmap
    - SpecIntensity
    - SpecPower

Opacity
    - Opacity from AlphaMap or just simple transparency.

Normalmap
    - Normalmap with a depth control
    - Detail Normalmap with XY UV-scale control

Then Heightmap functionality using bumpoffset for everything pretty much.

For my

Blend Master Material
    - Blends 2 DiffuseTextures using Heightmap and Noisemap
    - Individual UV-scale controls for Heightmap and Noisemap
    - Option for Inverting Heightmap
    - Noisemap Intensity Control
    - Global and XY UVScaling for both Diffuse1/2

- Individual SpecControls for the textures, Intensity and Power (Not working correctly yet)
    - Heightmap/Bumpoffset control for both DiffuseBlend Textures

Sooooo first time doing this, thank god for all tutorials out there. It's really fun to mess around with to see what kind of results you can get. Plus you feel really smart when you figure something out yourself xD

Right now I added the functionality to invert my heightmap.
    invert_blendmask_function.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Cool, sounds like a solid base shader to me : )
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added static switch parameters to my Master Materials now just to get the frickin instruction-count down. Getting expensive with all the fancy stuff. I still have some shader work to do, but then I'm on textures and 3d-stuff again. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've been working on this for a while now, with christmas break, new-years, typical life stuff has come in the way of me completing this project quickly. I've got new shiny updates though!

I decided to say: F*ck it, I'm going wherever I want with this. So here you go, 14 meter tall houses and what not.
    14 meter houses and skywalks made by the textures and materials I had.
    wip1.jpg

Also made a quick new texture (cgtextures thx!) for the modular walls I'll have placed throughout the scene.
    wip2.jpg

I still have a long way to go and yes, I haven't even touched post-processing, lighting or even lightmaps for that part ^^

I'll post a proper set-up of my layout and composition by the end of today probably.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    this looks epic chris I can see a lot of potential in what you have here already....go go go!!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :) Yeah hopefully I'll be able to put something decent together!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've been playing around with composition and some quick ideas but I started feeling guilty about not showing actual work in progress on this scene so this is what I've got so far. I still haven't done a proper post-process pass, I have spent 0 minutes on lighting (haven't even changed the direction of the sun) , haven't touched fog settings or even spent any time on the actual "ground", it won't be flat and super-tiled in the end so don't worry ;)

I will keep adding stuff to the scene, I have lots of ideas that I want to try, lots of props to create as well as new textures.

wip4.jpg

Next week will not be as productive since I'll have other things to do, but I'll try to spend an hours here or there on the scene. I'm not sure how far I'll take it, but I'm pretty sure that this is nowhere near the end result. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Nice update!
    I think this is heading in a very promising direction. :)

Right now I think everything looks a tad too pale, but I'm guessing that has to do with the lighting, fog and post process, which you said you haven't touched yet, so nevermind me.

Keep it up! Looking forward to more updates!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude wicked, I really think adding the height to the buildings gave your project that something that it needed to make it stand out more. Really looking forward to seeing some more saturated bits and pieces throughout this scene!!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Really love the direction this is going. Subscribed and looking forward to further updates.

One thing to keep in mind is the material each floor/level your buildings are constructed from. Particularly heavy stone walls with wooden supports, great for covering texture seams but, masonry supports for stone walls, wood for lighter and often upper floor construction with some possible overlap in between.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    looks great, keep it up man
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking very cool. The colour pallet isn't really my cup of tea, but the scale and texture detail are nice :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks guys :) , I'll keep the masonry support in mind. Might make the upper levels light with wooden materials. As said before, next week I won't show a lot of updates, but I'll try to work out some of the smaller scale stuff. :)