Old (#1)
Hey all,
I posted in the What are you working on thread and got some great suggestions on there, so I decided to make a thread and get some more suggestions , and comments on my Trap Room. What should I add, or take out ,or fix?

Here are a few screenshots of it in the UDK:

I'm looking forward to more comments and suggestions from you guys Thanks!
World Artist | Bethesda Game Studios
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,412 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#2)
Nice work! What happens if you make the sharp blades even longer? So that they stick up of the water? At first I couldn't see them so I didn't know what was "trappy" about this room. Right now I'd say it looks a little boring, a rectangular room filled with pillars. You're very far along though, it's looking really nice, I just wish there was something more interesting in there though.

Maybe changing the composition could help, you need to have something visually interesting at the end, right now it's nothing really interesting.

I dunno, play around a little bit with more interesting shapes, more interesting details

Challenge yourself even more You're going in the right direction
Environment Artist
Currently working on:
The Division
Portfolio: http://christofferradsby.com/

Latest Project: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1979900&postcount=43
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,940 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Sweden/Malmö  

Old (#3)
I'd hug the wall and walk close by the pillars. How does the trap work then?
Geospheres rule, regular spheres drool!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,631 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location the Netherlands (Europe)  

Old (#4)
Thanks guys,
and you both are right. I am probably gonna look around (nice reference chris) get some possible ideas for composition. I'll play around with that and see what realistic trap I can get as Snader has a good point as well i'll be posting updates soon. More suggestions welcome if anyone comes across it.
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,412 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#5)
I like it, it reminds me of something out of Tomb Raider, not the earliest one but not the latest ones either.

Crits:
With a scene this enclosed you could probably beef up the poly count.

It has a lot of straight lines, 20 or 30 extra polys on a cube isn't going to make any engine cry but if used correctly will add a lot of character.

The chains could be a bit thicker to help them stand out. Maybe stagger them bit so they aren't so uniform? Same with the spikes, I agree about them not really being noticeable.

Supports for the ledges? Right now they seem to be defying gravity a bit too much, those have to be heavy. Do they move in and out of the wall? Maybe some decorative trim around the slot where they slide in and out? If not some kind of decorative wall mount might be in order anyway.

I think the pillars are too low res geometry wise and you should up-res them a few more poly to round them out and flesh out the details will be worth it. Right now they're very close to mobile spec? They also have some smoothing and shading problems that need to be worked out.

Last edited by Mark Dygert; 12-02-2011 at 09:32 AM..
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,655 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#6)
Thanks Mark. i think i am going to really figure out a new layout, ill probably redo a lot of things especially the pillars and walkways. As for decorative things like heads or full on statues how would I go about it? I have never done anything like that before.
My Portfolio|Contact Me