Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STADIUM] - Football, Deadpixl

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
Reserving my spot! Concepts and ideas probably later tonight.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Umm, so what sport is it? It's supposed to be in the title of the thread. Icebay bashers isn't a sport.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Well seeing as the Greenbay Packers play football...
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed! Haha, sorry about that. Yeah the Icebay Bashers were the parody team of the Packers in the game.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ConceptSheet_2.jpg

Just doing some block out stuff at the moment. I think later today I'm going to try to get the field model sorted out since it will need the most detail. .
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only had a bit of free time today during lunch, so I figured I'd use it to work on the team branding and what not. I'm thinking once I get this done I'll be able to use this to help choose the colors and what not of the stadium.

conceptBasherslogo.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added some more block out assets and started to mess around with some textures. I might do some vertex blending tests in udk to see if I can get the look I want before I finalize the core geo for the field.

wip_moregeo.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going make the core field about 10-20k and 10k for props. Once the core field is done the rest will be used for the background visuals.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started to crank away at some of the core materials, they're all still very much WIP. I wanted to get the core stuff done before I tackled the side line stuff. I mainly wanted to do this to see how much texture space I'll be using for various things. Right now with the terrain I'm at about 16k tri, I've got to optimize the base of the field a bit yet. I'll probably wrap up the base of the field then move on to props and side the larger exterior environment bits this week/weekend.

mlf_bashers_wip01.jpg
    mlf_bashers_wip02.jpg
    mlf_bashers_wip03.jpg
    mlf_bashers_wip04.jpg

So far I've been really digging all of the work everyone is doing! Can't wait to see all of the final entries.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, a friend of mine suggested making the field look like it was made of ice so I did that and really liked it. Right now I'm still working on getting the major stuff done. I think tomorrow I'll get the stands done and then move on to make new goal posts if I get time or this burner pipe stuff I've been sort of playing with in some doodles.

mlf_bashers_wip05.jpg

Also need to make benches and what not for the teams and some banners/tapestries. Hope I can hit the deadline!
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    looking good, hoping that you will finish in time
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here are two more shots of where I'm at. I've added some temp piping and burner plats where I think they will go.

I've also got the stands and the stair case in and added a cube map to the ice.

mlf_bashers_wip06.jpg
    mlf_bashers_wip07.jpg

I'm really not liking the whole skybox and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I might set the whole thing in a snow storm of some sort. We'll see, right now I need to finish the following things then It's on to clean up and polish.

-Pipes and Burners
    -Making the rest of the decals look more sloppy
    -With decal space make some decals for the wood.
    -Make small snow drift piles if Poly count allows
    -Add more unique element to the base. Like one of the tunnels collapsed and is filled with brick and snow, not sure yet.
    -Tapestries if I have time / texture space.
    -Clean up, fix light maps etc

That's a lot to do in 8 more days!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is coming together very well!

keep it up!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skankerzero - thank you!

Small update. I've wrapped up the pipe and burner set for the field and I've added the snow that I was talking about. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it the way I did it, it's pretty hacky atm but I haven't used the particle editor yet.

During the packer game last week we had similar conditions in green bay just way less snow but it gave me a good idea of how foggy it would be, snow material is WIP still.

mlf_bashers_wip08.jpg

mlf_bashers_wip09.jpg

mlf_bashers_wip10.jpg

Now I'm getting super low on texture space, but I'm going to see if I can fit in 1 tapestry type asset then start tweaking little things here and there.

I'd also like to try and add some fx to the burners, like a glow and maybe some embers coming out of them. But like I said before I've never used the particle editor so it will be interesting to tackle. I also need to see if particle textures count against your limit.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gone ahead and adjusted all of the light maps in the level, they still need a bit more tweaking before they're final. You can see them getting destroyed on the vents in the ground. I've also gone in and added a banner of sorts to the pilon assets with the team colors.

mlf_bashers_wip13.jpg

I've noticed the actual field lines are getting lost, so I'll have to punch those up a bit more. With the triangles I have left, which isn't much, I'd like to get a few more snow assets and some particles coming out of the vents.

mlf_bashers_wip12.jpg

I've also started to tweak some of the post process settings. I've never really messed with anything but DOF before so I'm not sure if I'll keep them all.

mlf_bashers_wip11.jpg

Hopefully tonight I can get this all sort of wrapped, just downloaded the mutant league psd so I can slap that on my next set of images.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Really enjoyed seeing this develop, keep up the good work!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Wesley Thanks man

I did some final tweaks last night to the field, added some more snow mounds and but some stone tiles around the vents. I've also tweaked the falling snow a bit so the flakes are a bit smaller now. I think I've got 2 things left I want to do and I think I can get them all done tomorrow morning. I didn't get to the particle fx and I'm not sure I'll be able too so I might try something with lighting to make the vents look better.

1. Tweak the snow texture a bit

2. Add some more stands to the back side of the stadium. I've got some triangles to spare so I'm going to see if I can squeeze that in.

mlf_bashers_wip14.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I've got all my tweaking done and I've gone ahead and submitted. Here is a dup of that post. This project was a blast to work on!
    Icebay Bashers Stadium

Beauty Shots:

mlf_bashers_entry_B1.jpg

mlf_bashers_entry_B2.jpg

mlf_bashers_entry_B3.jpg

Construction Shot:

mlf_bashers_entry_Comp.jpg

Textures

mlf_bashers_entry_Tex.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Well done finishing deadpixl - nice work on the snow particle!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! The falling snow isn't actually a particle, hehe, a co worker showed me a quick trick since I don't know a whole lot about the fx editor in unreal yet. It's a series of planes with a nice snow falling material on it. It generally works well, next project I'm going to start learning the particle editor.