Old (#1)
Hello I am doing a space environment and already created a nebula skybox as seen below. But when insert a gravity volume and set the Gravity Z to zero it does give the zero gravity feel abit but the default character cannot use any of the normal movement. Basically what goes up never comes down. It also disables the ability to jump. What values/parameters do I need to change to give zero gravity but still be able to perform basic movements. Or simply put it I want the character to move like he is on the moon but for objects to move like they are in deep space.

Here is the skybox texture That I made and followed this image I saw made by Xoliul:

Even though these images have little to do with my issue. I figured a help thread with no images would go unanswered.
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,545 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#2)
maybe try using a very low gravity value instead of zero? for physics objects you can probably set their mass to be zero or something similar to compensate.
---------------------------------------
sci-fi base
Robot Hunters Room
CER level
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,478 Posts, Join Date Apr 2005, Location Califonia  

Old (#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post
maybe try using a very low gravity value instead of zero? for physics objects you can probably set their mass to be zero or something similar to compensate.
so what parameter controls the gravity within the volume? GravityZ or something else. Because it was -520 at first then I put it at 0. Also how do I change static mesh overall mass to zero?
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,545 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#4)
Ok so yeah if you change the gravitation to zero then the things won't ever come down.. that's kinda the definition of zero g.

Also don't use massless static objects? That means if you hit them with any physical impulse their velocity will instantly become infinite, IF zero mass is even accepted by the physics system.

For moon like gravity it should be about 1/6 of standard G. If normal G is -520 then moon G should be about -92

I haven't delved into UDK's physics volumes much, but for the behaviour you're suggesting, something of a fluid volume sounds better. You should be able to have floaty simulated objects, and a mobile player that way.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,816 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Francisco, CA  

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vailias View Post
Ok so yeah if you change the gravitation to zero then the things won't ever come down.. that's kinda the definition of zero g.

Also don't use massless static objects? That means if you hit them with any physical impulse their velocity will instantly become infinite, IF zero mass is even accepted by the physics system.

For moon like gravity it should be about 1/6 of standard G. If normal G is -520 then moon G should be about -92

I haven't delved into UDK's physics volumes much, but for the behaviour you're suggesting, something of a fluid volume sounds better. You should be able to have floaty simulated objects, and a mobile player that way.
oh thx man that is a good value
- Norman Vincent Peale

Old (#6)
In UDK when you set gravity is set to 0 it considers the player to be falling(at a speed of 0 but never able to land .) which is why you have little to no control. in the unreal tournament games if i remember right it was when the player jumped that set the direction and velocity but you couldn't change direction mid jump without a double jump.

anyway yes setting even a little gravity will allow you to land. If you ever wanted to do a zero G environment you would have to do a little scripting in the player controller.
Offline , null, 13 Posts, Join Date Oct 2011,