Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scarlett - Because Shes worth it!

Hi all,

This is a character i've been working on in my lunch breaks for a while now and I'd love some feedback. Scarlett is a character of my own design, but inspired by the many famous women out there with big guns, spunky attitiude and a healthy disregard for explosives.

Scarlett is a game res model though I admit I could have been more efficient with UV layouts and polys ... but what the hell..shes worth it!? This is all about the fun and the learning.

Scarlett has seperate textures for the skin, clothing, hair and RPG each with a normal map, Spec and Gloss. With the exception of the Zbrush and Vray images everything else below has been grabed using the Xoliulshader2 and the grabViewport2.

A Big thanks to xoliul and his team for one hell of a viewport shader!

Scarlett was modelled in Max, Tarted up in Zbrush, textured in Photoshop and rendered using the Xoulishader2, again in 3dsMax 2012. She is also rigged for animation, even with bones for the skirt, and the facial expressions are morph targets.

I'd love some feedback.

Scarlett_TwoFingerPose.jpg

Scarlett_Closeup_OverShoulder.jpg
Scarlett_Closeup_Lick.jpg
Scarlett_Closeup_Lower.jpg
Scarlett_TurnAround.jpgScarlett_JPG.jpg
Scarlett_Wire_And_Textures.jpgScarlett_VRayRenders.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Time for a new polycount banner :)
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just Wow.....I got nothing. Fantastic work my man.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I looove the sculpt!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, I'm curious as to how you did the frills on her bra in your high-poly. Mind hinting me what process you used for them?

The only gripe I have is the skin color. Her face looks really pale compared to her body. In general, a good target area to go to is body being 25% darker then the face or face being 25% lighter then the body at most levels. In some areas, your levels have as high as a 50-60%. If you have time, I would suggest correct that a little so that the it's less daunting to look at, or add grime and dirt to her face to break up the paleness, while still keeping the same diffuse.

Please note it movement, this issue would be barely noticeable, but in beauty shots, people are going to notice it more.

I would like to see your Specular Map if possible. There is something weird going on in the tongue area, she looks like a healthy girl, but on my screen, her tongue looks tinted in yellow. Healthy people have pale pink/vein blue color combo for under their tongue, yellow usually indicates smoking (then again, she is next to explosive from the look of it).

Other then that, very nice. If you plan on tweaking her later on here and there, may I suggest Tank-Girl as inspiration? Also, her color scheme reminds me alot of Sucker Punch, so she could very easily fit in.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The style/concept isn't super awesome imo, the brown bra especially seems out of place... Great execution though.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I'm truly in love with this piece, I'd be interested to see how the normal and spec maps came out. I can see what achillesian is saying about the bra, feeling a bit out of place if there was more of that brown color somewhere else, say the stocking that would really help tie it together a bit more.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Pretty sweet! Only crit is the skin feels a little plastic and could use some subtle speckling color variation maybe?
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Beautful- Skin could use some variation- but that facial expression is great.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this is a good one.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    damn thats good!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Can you go over your method for painting the face? That's crazy.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    VERY cool, so well done :'D
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    scrolled down, and then scrolled back, and scrolled down again to figure out what I was seeing. Teriyaki said it just right, there's life there, which is no mean feat. Wonderful work infusing the character with... character :) looking forward to seeing what's next!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome. I was taken aback when I opened the thread. I wasn't expecting the goodness I was about to see.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn this is unbelievably good man :) I agree the specular on the skin on her body could use some work- you have added pores and details on the face but there is nothing on the skin on the body.
    Also specular on the bra - it kind of reads as cloth but you can add if you have not or just turn up the cloth pattern there so it breaks up the smooth specular on it.
    Everything else is just perfect :) Amazing work.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Killer work, the head especially.

Nitpicking, the skin is looking strange, as pointed out earlier by Ace-Angel. Also I'm not a fan of the strong white/black noise on the heads of the rockets. Not only is it distracting, the painted eyes and mouth are completely lost.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    i'd let her do terrible things to me
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Hall of fame this now.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work, but whats with that flat lighting? put some mean ass shadows in there bro!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Wow, that's very impressive work.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid stuff, smells like banner. Nitpicks:

* The white-black striping on the rocket-tips is really high-contrast, a little loud imo. I'd try toning down the whites a bit. Either that or try making the striping itself bigger (3-4x), that way it'd still be bold but less "moire-y". Bright metal on the grip of the launcher itself also pretty darn bright.
    * Slight line underneath her (excellently realized) mohawk, I can tell that's supposed to be scalp showing as the hair pulls up, but it reads a bit strange.
    * Agree with some that the bra seems a bit out of place, maybe it's the material/fabric.
    * Considered some kind of AO to better meld clothing on her body? Looks very clean/self-illuminant.
    * I'd also try removing the fresnel rim and the darker tones of the diffuse on her tongue, and instead make sure there's sharp, hard wet hilights on it.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    This looks fantastic! Great job! :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    She is definitely worth it, great job!
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    this is great!
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic work! Rigged for animation hmm can we see her walk and pose in the future maybe? ^_^
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Fucking titty heaven! Just.. Mmmh. Love it!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    jaffajuice wrote: »
    She is also rigged for animation, even with bones for the skirt, and the facial expressions are morph targets.

bonus points!
    would love to see pics of the rig, including joints! (hey, the modlers want wires and texture sheets!:poly142:)

love the hair, not something you see everyday on a character!:poly136::thumbup:
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    100% baller status right there
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a feeling this would be good before I even opened the thread ^^ great work!
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Seriously, the stuff some of your guys make in your lunch breaks makes me wonder... do you people eat at all? and how long are those lunch breaks? :p

Love the character, she has so much.... character.
    First thing that stood out to me was how detached the head and body felt though. Even though both look awesome I just feel that either the skin of the head is to light or the body has to much tan. It might be exaggerated by the black leather "jacket" she's wearing. But I feel like having either the head more or the body less tanned would have pulled the two together a bit more.
    And I think the stripe pattern on the RPG could do with a bit less contrast and maybe a slightly bigger scale, personally I think it's a bit busy right now.

Anyway, awesome work!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Haha wow jaffa, I was not prepared for this when I opened the thread! Thank you too for using our shader and making it shine in such an awesome way!

edit; what i feel you could improve shadingwise, is spend some time tweaking the values of things like fresnel and specular differ more between clothes and skin. The skin looks a bit plasticy, and the clothes look similar-ish. Also, echoing what somebody said about getting some more AO or shadows to ground the clothes on the character.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Very, very nice piece. She seems so lively, definitely tons better than your average supermodel-woman-hero sculpt. Most of what came to mind has been said already (skin, line underneath mohawk, lack of AO/shadows), but an easy fix for the bra might be to play around with it's color and possibly just add a little random detail (lining or whatnot)?

Great piece, would be great to see you continue with this!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap. That is some excellent work sir. Well done!

How are you handling the spec map for her skin? I look at it, and it's excellent, but something reads off to me. And I think it might be a lack of subtle color changing (or possibly color) for the spec map. Thoughts?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Great work, love the face :)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    reminds me a bit of tank girl which is one of my fav character and your design kicks ass. I was wondering the same thing few of the people already have posted,your skin specs is so good, i want to know how you did it sir! sculpt is so good i want it printed and have it sitting on my desk for some reason
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    That's awesome!! There's so much character there and the quality overall quality is incredible! :D Excellent work!!!!
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very inspiring, great job, and thanks!
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the good advice and support guys.

General feelings are the Skin needs colour work and the face is to bright in comparison to the body.

Ace Angel - To create the frills I created a displacement/height map in Photoshop, something that I thought would look right, then applied that to a plane in Zbrush as a starting point. Baked that in and worked into the sculpt. The dirt and grime is a good idea, but I'll get the skin right first and then add the dirt. I'll post the spec map below.

achillesian . Erm thanks? Fair point about the bra colours though. I'll perk them up a bit.

Lroy - Painted Base colour layer, add red, yellows and a little blue in relevant areas. Use splatter brush with dodge and burn at 5% to give the mottled colouration. Detail imported from Zbrush using Displacement map taken from a medium SubD Level to just pick up the surface detail. Shadows painted from warmer hues. Thats the short version :)

disanski - I'll try and breakup the specular further, it does look very smooth I agree.

Spacey - it is a strong design and its also hiding the other surface details, but i like the in your face design too much I could never bring myself to reduce it. Good point though.

Bloodmoon - I have an animator here whos interested in giving it a go.. so fingers crossed :)

thatanimator - as requested . see below :) Its a very basic Biped with added bones for control over other bits and pieces. Hope this is of interest.

Meintevds - we just dont eat.

Xoluil - I'll be playing with the skin next week, so you'll be hearing from me I'm sure :) and thank you ... you make this stuff look easy with that shader :)

Slipstream - The spec is black and white at the moment, but I'll look into adding specular colour to warm those plastic looking highlights.

Jungsik - I might just print this off and send you a copy ;)

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I'll take a few days off and then work on the above suggestions.

Scarlett_Textures02.jpg

Scarlett_RigSetup.jpg
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    She's beautiful and lively! Great job.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Pure genius. This is really good and I'm loving the amount of expression in her, hardly see that in modesls this days.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    great character jaffa, especially the face
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *drool* Very, very awesome.

I'm just rehashing here but great job getting some real expression in the face. You really feel for the character as soon as you look at her, you've really pulled it off.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely blown away, man! Great great execution on your materials.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    My kind of girl! :D
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    wow, that's pretty damn cool!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    jaffajuice wrote: »
    thatanimator - as requested . see below :) Its a very basic Biped with added bones for control over other bits and pieces. Hope this is of interest.

awesome thanks!
    again, sweet that you took this character all the way to properly rigging her and stuff! 8)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You didnt use any photos? This is entirely hand painted?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hmmm i've got mixed views on this man.

individually, each part is really well done, but it doesn't gel as a whole, because:
    the clothing materials look hyper realistic
    the skin looks somewhere between realistic and painerly
    the mouth/eyes/tongue(particularly) look very hand painted and too bright/contrasted compared to the rest of the skin

overall it just feels fairly disjointed because of the clear difference in the style of materials.