Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Vec3] Unparalleled model sharing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
joevansickle polycounter lvl 9
Introducing Vec3, A model viewing/sharing service that runs on all browsers and all operating systems.
Vec3 is currently in ALPHA development.

Features?
-Functions on all operating systems, all browsers; with no install
-Offsite embedding
-Ability to view textures and uv maps
-Rotation/panning/zooming
-Model stats
-Views/Ratings
-Normal Maps
-Spec
-Alpha
-Easy and safe uploading
-Easy sharing
-Customizable
-Data compression
-Browsing
-Multiple textures
-Fullscreen

What does it look like?
7.png

I want to try it!
Random exceptional uploads:
ptail39.png (4.03 Mbs)ptail31.png (4.45 Mbs)ptail34.png (10.78 Mbs)
ptail3.png (1.23 Mbs)ptail4.png (0.33 Mbs)
Most recent uploaded model:
link.png

How can I help you, help me?
Share your experience; or anything that you upload. Comment or provide a question/suggestion.
Help it spread by using it to showcase WIPs.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool...I took a crack at it.

link.png
    I dropped my texture down from a 2048 to a 1024 in case that would cause it to hang...whats the largest model/texture size thats been successfully uploaded at this point?

I had a little bit of difficulty uploading...It took a little while..and if I clicked around in the browser at all chrome would fuss a bit, but I doubt thats something you can control.

Will there ever be the possibility of having normal maps/spec maps and whatnot?

Also, took me a little bit to find where you can see the uv map/wireframe and whatnot. maybe those buttons could be closer to the middle of the screen or larger so they are easy to see?

Would you be able to have the tab key navigate through the different dialog boxes? clicking each box to drop in rgb values gets to be a little tedious.

Overall though, pretty nifty idea!

Edit...actually clicking the link seems to not work for me..it says unkown id :( and if I manually go through the models to get to mine...the texture is no longer there (was a .tga)
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my fault (I was messing with some things when you uploaded) hang tight and I'll fix it..

EDIT: Fixed, hopefully that won't happen again :)...

I've tested it with a model that's 50 Mbs but it's not uploaded currently. The highest resolution texture I've loaded is 1920x1200. I don't think there's a limit to the model size or texture size, but right now if you upload something to large it takes forever to download and the client may hang. I still have yet to compress/shrink anything, let alone adding in multi-threading.

Yes normal maps/spec maps are defiantly going to go in.
    I've got the comment that things are to small before, I will consider sizing/relocating things up a bit.
    Tab navigation and better entering of RGB values I plan to improve/add in the future.

Thanks for trying it, learned a lot :poly121:.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on making downloading smoother; off to bed now though.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    So far this seems to be one of the better in-browser model viewers I've seen. Give me normal and spec maps and I'm sold!

And yeah, I didn't find the buttons for wireframe and whatnot at all, so placing them more conspicuously is a good idea also.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Awesome work. It would be great if you could add the UV's and all the textures (diffuse normals, spec etc - when they will be added) into another window or give the option to hide the model while you inspect the maps.

Edit: actually nvm what I said above, you can scale down the model and scale up the UV's and watch them nicely but a button that does that for you would be cool (its all about the buttons)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    it doesnt work on any of the browsers i tried i used firefox and chrome it says failed to connect to server
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Works fine with chrome here :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    maybe its the firewall here where i am i will try it at home
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm almost certain it's a firewall problem if you're at work/school. You should have gotten "Failed to connect to server, due to security issues.". Thanks to all who have tried the tool so far. I'm working on normal maps now.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on normal maps now

Yay!

I have a question..will we be able to modify existing meshes? If that ability exists..I don't see it. Would be good to be able to change textures and update the mesh and so on.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Edit; are other people able to download the model after uploaded? (Maybe I missed this part, sorry if you already stated the answer to this.)
    I also have yet to find where I can browse the models with out needing to go through each one. For example, maybe a thumbnail gallery would work?

My upload is still at a blank screen so I don't know if its frozen or not going to upload..
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    yeah i talked with the admin he said it was the firewall he is looking at it he said he needs to find the port to open in order for the website to be usable anyway gonna try it at home
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gsokol: The ability to edit/modify uploaded models isn't in there. I am hesitant to add that in. However, I can say that I will add the ability to remove uploaded models in the very near future. Updated models can be re-uploaded then.

@Joshflighter: Anyone should be able to view your uploaded model; click the share button to see options for sharing. If the model doesn't upload within 60 seconds it will fail (right now). I just did uploading yesterday and it may need some more work as downloading did (progress updates). I'm used to things uploading/downloading instantly because I'm very close to the server. I will build on the browsing features, they are in their infancy now.

@Azkur: I was unaware that firewalls would be a problem, I think this can be fixed. The application is downloaded on port 80 then it connects to a separate server on port 6116. Changing the port may solve this.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I mean is; is it possible for someone to steal the model from this?

Edit; How do you upload a model with out textures? I noticed a few in the previews, yet it wont let me get past the step where it requires a texture. If I just put a blank white jpeg for it, it makes the model disappear and causes it to not upload (I'm guessing this is the reason why.).
    p.s. the model I am uploading isn't uv'd.
  • Canti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ probably. it says downloading model so it must shove it in th cache some where

I thought p3d was the only interactive model viewer but this has texture support! AND opera support! AND ITS PUBLIC!!!!
    Beautiful this is amazing work!
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joshflighter: It's possible (it is the web) but unlikely, I'm taking every measure I can to prevent that from happening. It's also possible to upload models with no textures to-do this the .obj file must contain no "vt ... ... ..." lines. Is this the case? I believe the minimum size for the texture is 4x4, how large was the jpeg you tried?

EDIT: Never mind I haven't a clue what was wrong with the texture...
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be giving this a go soon enough! Looks great :]
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, got the no texture out of the way, but now it goes back to the same problem. It goes to a blank/white/grey page.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The server keeps saying that you timeout, I will improve the uploading ASAP.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay there's progress updates for uploading now, and I bumped the timeout limit up to four minutes. I also changed the port to 443; does anyone know a good port to run this on?
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same issue. I will leave it open in a tab for 3-4 min and see what happens i guess?
    Edit; im using google chrome. Will try another like IE.
    Doesn't work either. I mean, your preview of it loads up in seconds, but the uploading just doesn't seem to work.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drat... Do you ever see "Uploading Starting..." or "Uploading... (XXX Mbs) X%"? What OS are you using?
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, goes from loading model to calculating normal... then it goes to what I presume is uploading. But right after it says calculating normal's and finish's, it goes blank.
    As far as saying a percentage, it doesn't. Which is weird, it usually does.
    The file is 42.9 mb.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    awesome thing you have going here just uploaded an old model of mine and I had no problem with firefox or IE. I know its early but is there going to be multiple texture support here are the ones i uploaded fun stuff! www.vec3obj.com/re.html?id=20 www.vec3obj.com/re.html?id=21
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @The_Onomatopoeia: There will be multiple texture support! It's going to be a huge pain, I foresee procrastination.

@Joshflighter: Vec3 loads your memory whore of a mesh now...
    3.png
    The problem was the size of the model and the fact that it didn't come with normals. The tool started calculating them and then ran out of memory. Browsers only give 0.25 Mbs to java. I optimized the memory usage a bit and it should be up-loadable now, however it crashes (due to running out of memory) when you first upload it. Lets try to stick to nothing bigger than 20 Mbs total...

I'll continue working on normal maps tomorrow shouldn't take more than two days...
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does this mean I can't upload the body? xD
    I'm just playin with you man.
    Will keep what you said in mind. :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    just tried at home it works fine its a really cool website! are all the models public? if not are you thinking of implementing like a system where only the people you share the link with can see the model?
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Azkur: Thanks, did changing the port fix it for you at work? All the models uploaded are public. I'm going to do 'unlisted models' next, it's a good idea.

---

Normal maps ...are in... (and much in need of testing!)
    4.png

link.png (11.73 Mbs)

I'm going to be working on giving uploaders the ability to delete posts and unlist things next.

• joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Kay you can delete your screw ups...
    5.png

Unlisting is next

• Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we have a thumbnail gallery of what we uploaded? Unless I missed it, I have to keep scrolling through every model to get to a specific model. Would be really cool and help speed things up when searching for one.
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    awesome cant wait to see more updates! normal test > www.vec3obj.com/re.html?id=31
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    It looks very interesting. I think you need to add a thumbnail set so you dont have to scroll through every one.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool...I'll hook my stuff back up with a nm map when I get home...

Now...how about spec maps :p

Edit: Got my new jet up with NM maps.

Uploading went much smoother this time.

link.png
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do thumbnails next then. I agree they are greatly needed now that people are uploading larger models. The system is set up quite well for that addition too. I'll have the thumbnails include size and maybe the rating/views as well.

Spec maps after un-listing (after thumbnails)...

Really like the whatever it is The_Onomatopoeia btw :).
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got side tracked and did data compression (due to the latest upload)

link.png 33.2 to 10.78 Mbs

link.png 28.0 to 11.73 Mbs

link.png 24.4 to 4.45 Mbs
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    thx its based off of Greg "craola" simkins paintings the guy is a whiz when it comes to acrylic :D
  • Robotbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great. Looking forward to updates. Especially thumbnails and spec maps. Here is one I uploaded. (4.03MB)

link.png
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Uploading doesn't work here, with Firefox and IE. It hangs when I click on Upload.

Looks awesome though!!
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How large is everything you're trying to upload together? Do you ever see "Uploading Starting..." or "Uploading... (XXX Mbs) X%"? 40 Mbs+ seems to crash it (because it runs out of memory). I'll add a limit or error handling soon; so much todo...
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Can't even upload. When I click on Upload right after login in, it hangs.

Tried rebooting my browsers, still doesn't work here :P
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PMed you; hopefully I can get this fixed for ya... I was unable to reproduce the issue you described :(.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the issue Boyso was experiencing thanks to his excellent help, and....
    Thumbnails!

7.png

ptail79.png ptail39.png ptail37.png

• Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! This is evolving fast, I love it!

I'm glad I could help with a dumb PC!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a few tests today and I am loving this. A few small things though, when pressing the W key the screen pans down and when pressing the S key the screen pans up. I don't know if this is by design but it was a tad confusing. I would also love to have multi-map support as well since most of my objects have tilable textures along with others on the same object.
    Looks great and I had a lot of fun working with it!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    This looks awesome, can't test here at work cause of firewalls and Java needs updates anyway, but I'll try it when I get home!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice.

I gotta suggestion for you.

Would it be possible to dictate where the default lighting position for a model is? For instance, I usually end up moving mine below the model a little bit so I can get some different shadows than what you see by default.
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Andrew Mackie: Do you have a non US keyboard? I will look into this.
    @gsokol: I have considered giving the user the ability to set the default light and model positions. I'll add this in very soon.

Multi-map support should be coming soon, I'm doing un-listing and trying to get rid of whats below right now (which takes time and money)...
    8.png
    The warning is displayed becuase the tool needs access to your GPU and personal files (for uploading). Hopefully removing this warning will give users more trust in the tool. Subsequently more uploads should follow. I plan on improving the download process after that.

Might be a little less updates because work/college are starting to pick up again...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    im not able to see anything when clicking any of the links just a blank page :(