Old (#1)
For the past 3 years I've been working together with a bunch of friends creating our own little indie action shooter The Haunted. We won the "Make Something Uneal" competition in 2010 and have been hard at work on the retail version which was released not long ago. This thread is about the work all the team members put in for the last 3 years. I worked mainly on environment art, lighting, post-processing and all that other stuff that levels require these days.

I hope you guys enjoy my very first post, I don't think the next one will contain as many images as this one! If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

More in the next post...
Offline , vertex, 27 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location Sweden  

Old (#2)

Old (#3)

Old (#4)
A lot of amazing screenshots on here, awesome job! and congrats. Do you have any breakdowns of any of the art you made?
World Artist | Bethesda Game Studios
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,400 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#5)
Thanks! I don't have any breakdowns ready just yet but I'll look into it.

Old (#6)
This is some really great work here. I hadn't heard of this project before, and by the looks of the trailer on steam, it seems pretty fun! Wonderful job with the lighting, it really makes it shine.
Lucas Annunziata
Environment Artist
Torn Banner
Offline , polygon, 580 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Toronto, Ontario, Canada  

Old (#7)
WOW! So many beautiful screenshots!! Congratulations on bringing this all to a finish, it is inspiringg. I would definitely love to see some breakdowns too!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,705 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#8)
These look fantastic. Great job!
Offline , polygon, 684 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Long Beach, CA Send a message via Skype™ to KyleJensen  

Old (#9)
Dang! Tons of stuff. The post kept going and going.

Really like 90% of the lighting. Very film-actic (not sure that's every a word) approach to the lighting. Which works awesomely in games.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,388 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Francisco, CA Send a message via AIM to Jeff Parrott Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Parrott  

Old (#10)
I'm glad you like it! Sorry for the lack off breakdowns. I'll see if I can get some stuff like that up tomorrow. I just have to sort through all the stuff that has piled up over the years. ;)

Old (#11)
Gorgeous work!
Offline , triangle, 329 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Preston/London  

Old (#12)
Wow! great work!
Offline , spline, 245 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location Bay Area, Brisbane  

Old (#13)
This is what I like to see on here. You guys nailed it. How many people were in the group? I really like all the textures and lighting done here. 3 years is a long time but I bet it paid off for you. Great work.
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Detroit, MI  

Old (#14)
awesome work. me and my friends had so much fun playing this game when it was first released. what sort of changes did you guys have to go through between the first initial release for make something unreal and the recent retail release?
Sean Marino - Portfolio | ArtStation
Sledgehammer Games - Weapons/Vehicle Artist
[Riot Contest - Fizz]
[Tutorial] Tileable Textures
Online , card carrying polycounter, 2,247 Posts, Join Date Apr 2007, Location Belmont, CA Send a message via Skype™ to Oniram  

Old (#15)
Quote:
awesome work. me and my friends had so much fun playing this game when it was first released. what sort of changes did you guys have to go through between the first initial release for make something unreal and the recent retail release?
We focused mainly on upping the quality of animations, gameplay and art. But we also added new content such as weapons, levels and enemies. One big challenge has been for our lone but obviously very talented programmer Markus Arvidsson to sort out bugs and get stuff properly running on Steam in time for release. The retail version of very different from the mod.

Quote:
This is what I like to see on here. You guys nailed it. How many people were in the group? I really like all the textures and lighting done here. 3 years is a long time but I bet it paid off for you. Great work.
The team has grown and shrunk during the development. You can view the full roster at http://www.hells-reach.com/team. We have about 4 environment artists, me included, who help out with modelling, texturing and lighting. A majority of the work has been done by Michael Hegemann who also started this project together with Gerhard Weihrauch. I think we are something like 5 people actively developing the game now post-release. We are a very small group but we're doing our best!

Old (#16)
Already bought the game, it's awesome.
I was fan of your mod and I was always willing to pay to play it.
Offline , spline, 120 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Europe Send a message via MSN to Tom3dJay Send a message via Skype™ to Tom3dJay  

Old (#17)
I remember playing this way back when it was still a mod for UT3. Even though the art was pretty cool back then, this seems to have come a long way since then.
3D artist - sanderdlart.nl and game creator - snowmoon.nl
Offline , triangle, 340 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#18)
Quote:
Already bought the game, it's awesome.
I was fan of your mod and I was always willing to pay to play it.
Thanks man! People seem to like it which makes me happy. Makes all the years in development totally worth it. And it also makes me want to get crunching on new content...!

Old (#19)
Absolutely stunning work. The palette is diverse and interesting, the actual pieces are smooth and the whole conglomerate flows visually. It's beautiful!

I love it! I'll have to pick it up retail soon!
Offline , spline, 115 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Louisville, Kentucky. Send a message via Skype™ to Piesandbombs  

Old (#20)
i played the shit out of this game.. soo much fun!
Offline , polygon, 746 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009,  

Old (#21)
The composition of many of those scene is just excelent!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,440 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Location Texas, USA  

Old (#22)
That is just plain awesomesauce, great composition, really nice lighting and overall awesome job. <3
Environment Artist
Currently working on:
The Division
Portfolio: http://christofferradsby.com/

Latest Project: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1979900&postcount=43
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,936 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Sweden/Malm÷  

Old (#23)
Love it! Would be great to see some breakdowns! Maybe some texture flats?!
Valdemar NyhlÚn - Environment artist at Avalanche NYC
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,601 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location New York, NY  

Old (#24)
YEaa I remember playing this when it got released (beta I think it was?) Looks awesome! I'm a fan
Offline , polygon, 661 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010, Location The Netherlands Send a message via Skype™ to Rhoutermans  

Old (#25)
The game is super fun, thanks for the great art!!
Paul Poff
Portfolio
8tracks
Offline , triangle, 307 Posts, Join Date Apr 2010, Location Aliso Viejo, CA Send a message via AIM to POFFINGTON