Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Person Police arms - Marmoset

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
blitz polycounter lvl 17
Just like to share the last model i did. Some lowpoly police first person arms.
I use marmoset to render it.
Polycount is 3800, 2k textures (dif, spec, gloss, normal, disp). I also use the toolbag tesselation.

cop_arm01.jpg
cop_arm02.jpg
cop_arm03.jpg
cop_arm04.jpg
coparm_new2.jpg

Hope you like it. :)

- Efgeni

Replies

• |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Seems very oldschool somehow, but in a good way. The finger nails went through a lot though :D
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, I like the folds on the clothes a lot. Fat fingers though o.o

But yeah, it's a heck of a job!
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    PLS give some texture flats ! :) i need to see that displacement map!
    Where did you bake the textures in and did you use any specific settings worth mentioning?

cheers
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Counter Terrorists Win! Looks great, totally reminds me of Counter Strike. That one scar on the finger is too obviously mirrored
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice arms, echoing others in saying some asymmetry would be good, most notibly on the middle finger nail scar. Modeling is very nice though ^^
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    There's are beautiful models, great work dude! Would you mind if I used them in a project? :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Ganemi wrote: »
    Pretty nice. But you should make the mirroring on the fingers less obvious. Prolly unwrap a finger uniquely so that you can add non mirrored detail to it.

I disagree here. The odds of actually seeing the areas you are talking about are slim to none. Hold a pistol or a rifle in FPV and you'll never see or notice the mirroring on the fingers. Hold a knife, you'll still never notice it. Depending on the FOV and what the animation calls into the players view, the only place you will ever notice any symmetry is on the sleeves and gloves, and even that is going to be in special instances like holding a knife or carrying a grenade for example. It would be better to optimize the tri count on the arms as much as possible and add in overlaying geo (a watch, duct tape, etc.) that can utilize the same UV space to break up the symmetry.

I would rather see a single mirrored arm that is nicely optimized, utilizes UV space well, and has additional geo/models or accessory pieces to break up the symmetry than see a mirrored mesh withe multiple maps or poor UV textel density. Splitting up the UVs for each arm in this particular instance is a waste IMO. Creating a new layout, or simply duplicating the existing and applying a new texture is even worse and more costly.

These are very, very nice though. Definitely show wires and texture flats! The gloss is just a tad tight on the fingers and the spec could come down a little bit, but the texture detail you have going on it great and works well. Excellent piece!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    awesome!
    been looking into animating some fps arms hand handguns! this is the stuff I need to see right now! :D great all around! :D
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guy's.

About the symmetry thing i didn't thought to much about, special because you almost never see both side in the same position. But about the scare, i can fix it easy.. just move the mapping of the finger to an other finger.. think this will be enough.

I just noticed right now about how fat the fingers are and the displace map is doing it stronger.. my bad, have to tweak it.

Texture size and polycount is high because in my mind it was done for a nextnext-gen console or a kick ass pc. ;)

Next: i bake it with xnormal and no changes on the default settings.

here some more shots.
    cop_arm_aowire.jpg
    i can easy optimize it, but don't need because like i said, it is somehow done for a nextnextgenwhateverspec

cop_arm_tex.jpg
    ignore the this big empty space in the normal map, at this place is the arm part and there is no normal map details.

cop_arm_disp.jpg
    just a little part of the displace map for the tesselation.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job man, its rare to see really nice FPV hands. I dont think the tricount is excessive or anything. I think its important to remember that in shooters, your player character is literally your hands/weapon. Its the most important character in the game, its literally the player's only way to interact with the world in most cases, and is on screen 100% of the time. Its not like you'll ever be drawing 30x arm models on screen at once, and its always rendered up close, so really there are very few reasons to go lowpoly on an asset like this.
    Ganemi wrote: »
    Pretty nice. But you should make the mirroring on the fingers less obvious. Prolly unwrap a finger uniquely so that you can add non mirrored detail to it.

Also, the shape of the fingers themselves are kinda odd They seem too wide on the palm side.

Otherwise, pretty awesome!

Doubtful this would ever be noticed ingame.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    thx for tha breakdown :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    Seems very oldschool somehow,

Its because of counter strike haha

i love it, good work
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17

I will tweak the fingers and the spec/gloss map. Hope will be more kickass.. :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You need to invert the spec colors? I thought you could do everything in marmoset.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow thats amazing!
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Those folds are totally fantastic, and the sense of material and tension in model is amazing! Great work man
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guy's
    make me happy to see so many people like it. :)
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the fat fingers comment. But, otherwise, no crits - it looks fantastic! Love the worn fingernails
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    just some more clean screens.

cop_arm05.jpg
    cop_arm06.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    fucking awesome
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    it's a really cool work ! care to show how you proceed the workflow ? and i'm indeed interested in tessellation workflow :)

ffffffffff stupid keyboard ! i posted too early -_-
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guy's.

allaze-eroler: there is nothing special about the tessellation workflow. Just bake your displace map and use slightly the tessellation settings in marmoset. :)
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright ! i do guess the displacement bake should be done with xnormal or other software ? because when i use zbrush as displacement bake, it went all horrible ):
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    why so? i recently just used it for some highpoly art and it worked like a charm - i would guess thats because you'r lowpoly isn't the basemesh of your highpoly? Haven't done that in zBrush so far, the biggest difference i saw from marmosets displacements to zbrushs are that the lowpoly triangulation is part of the resulting displacement, pretty much like the lowpoly tangents are in the resulting normalmaps - my displacements from zbrush always came out very clean, i should try how well they would work in marmoset.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    How did you sculpt this? Just as an arm in general or you mostly looking at it from the first person view?

Your material definition is fantastic!
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    why so? i recently just used it for some highpoly art and it worked like a charm - i would guess thats because you'r lowpoly isn't the basemesh of your highpoly? Haven't done that in zBrush so far, the biggest difference i saw from marmosets displacements to zbrushs are that the lowpoly triangulation is part of the resulting displacement, pretty much like the lowpoly tangents are in the resulting normalmaps - my displacements from zbrush always came out very clean, i should try how well they would work in marmoset.

i guess it's because my low poly is all quad ? i will test with a simple sphere for to see how it work, is there any extra information i should know ?

ps : for your arms, it would be interesting if you add the SSS stuff because i did noticed that directx 11 can use it without problem but do need a graphic card can deal with it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i don't want to derail Efgenis thread, but could you show the resulting displacement and tell what you did to achieve it? Or maybe better open your own thread or put it in waywo i guess there is a way to get the right results :)
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    LRoy: I model this arm in the right pose ( frist person view). But also only for the folds on the top of the arm, the rest of the folds are just general arm think.. ;)
    ps : for your arms, it would be interesting if you add the SSS stuff because i did noticed that directx 11 can use it without problem but do need a graphic card can deal with it.
    I use for the fingers and the arm part the SSS shader from marmoset. In my opinion is the best realtime sss shader i worked with, also a lot better as the cryengine3 sss shader.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are seriously beautiful, begging you to post a reload animation or something with them!
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    beautiful work!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    my god this is amazing work.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha lol when you said arms i thought you ment fire arms. I click on link and wtf uhm where are the guns and why is there arms lol
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    your displacement map looks really strange. try tesselating (not turbo/meshsmoothing) the mesh a couple of times and then baking the displacement map, it might come out better.

looks great though man =]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your displacement map looks really strange. try tesselating (not turbo/meshsmoothing) the mesh a couple of times and then baking the displacement map, it might come out better.

looks great though man =]

lol no.

The displacement map is a map of the height difference between the low and the high. Because the low is a lowpoly mesh, you're going to get gradiated artifacts in the displacement that represent the triangles in the low. This is a good thing, it tells the shader how much to displace.

If you smooth it out, and then apply it to your un-smooth mesh, it would be wrong. It would be like adding sub-d to your lowpoly, baking a normal map, removing it and then wondering why you have smoothing errors.

You can't look at a normals/displacement map in photoshop and say "it looks wrong". Thats just not how it works.

Simply tessellating it would have no effect, because it is a map of depth/height.
  • Bedakvadrata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOOOAAARRRRR!!!!

Awesome hands! Want watch on this, in game.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome work, you should have worked on BF3 and fixed those fucked up skinny distorted POV arms in the opening level on the train.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    lol no.

The displacement map is a map of the height difference between the low and the high. Because the low is a lowpoly mesh, you're going to get gradiated artifacts in the displacement that represent the triangles in the low. This is a good thing, it tells the shader how much to displace.

If you smooth it out, and then apply it to your un-smooth mesh, it would be wrong. It would be like adding sub-d to your lowpoly, baking a normal map, removing it and then wondering why you have smoothing errors.

You can't look at a normals/displacement map in photoshop and say "it looks wrong". Thats just not how it works.

Simply tessellating it would have no effect, because it is a map of depth/height.

ah sorry, i was under the impression that marmoset tesselated with displacement. doing it the way i suggested gives better results in UDK because it gives the hightmap values of the tesselated product rather than the original low poly.
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guy's.. :)

I did already a quick test rig, but i am not happy yet. After i have something cool to show, i will post it here.

malcolm: haha ;D
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO a little heavy in the diffuse? Don't see anybody else mention it, but it sticks out for me. Other than that, looking very solid.