Home General Discussion

My folio on i-OS!!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
Hi!!!

I just released my 3D portfolio app for iOS and would like to share it with the CG community. I built this application to share my work in another way than a simple website with static screenshots.

It is available as free download for iphone, ipod and ipad. 100% free, no ads and no in app purchases.

The most important feature is the 3D browser window where you can preview my 3D work and freely manipulate the camera. Different display modes are available in the browser window to show the diffuse texture, the wireframe, play animation sequences and display credit info.

Link to the iTunes store page :

- http://itunes.apple.com/app/sama.van-chronology/id474749657?mt=8

Here is a preview of the pieces showcased in the app - a total of 97 models. There is a known bug on the model ElevatorB causing the app close but it should be fixed with the next update.

sama.van-Chronoly_MenuPreview.png

I would be very interested to hear your feedback and ideas to make the application better!!
Thank you for your time!

sama.van

mzl.oowjykkc.320x480-75.jpgmzl.xluaekjg.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.fvzjdifw.320x480-75.jpgmzl.sbugcfew.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.euwlombj.320x480-75.jpg

Replies

• sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again!!

Just did one update of the app!

(I updated the first thread with more description and preview)

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, man! Really sweet and inventive. That's one hell of a way to stand out.
    How big of a hassle was it to create something like this?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    can't connect to the wifi at work for some reason, and the phone won't let me download without it.. got to check this out as soon as I come home! :D:D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sweet idea! Downloading now...
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool man. I always thought it would be cool to make an app for my portfolio. Pretty cool man. i'll have to check it out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    awesome idea! and looks nice :D
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    This is a brilliant idea! You could print buissnies cards with a QR code linking to the app store. You'r welcome ;)

Downloading now. Tell us how you did it? Is everything you code? Or did you use a al lready made 3D engine?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really cool, pity you cant get it all below the 3g 20mb mark so that people can download it without wifi
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @d1ver >> For this new version I worked with Unity and C# only. I had to learn some vector property to script the menu and other camera from finger position, etc... That wasn't easy... Still learning to have more freedom with the camera.

@sltrOlsson >> QR code on meishi is a very good idea! Thanks!
    Just found a great website to generate the pixel thing!
    sama.van-Chronology_QR_Code.gif

@Ged >> aww... really sorry... Application works on 3GS/4G/ipod2/ipad and should stay on 60FPS.... Didn't have the chance to work with a 3G...

Thank you everyone for your messages!

Let me know if you tried the application and what are your critics & ideas!!
    I'll try to add more models as always into the next update! o_<
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sama.van wrote: »
    @Ged >> aww... really sorry... Application works on 3GS/4G/ipod2/ipad and should stay on 60FPS.... Didn't have the chance to work with a 3G...
    Oh I dont mean it doesnt run on 3rd Gen devices...what I mean is you cant actually download any app that is over 20mb on a 3G(mobile phone network) connection. So because your app is 50mb people will have to download it over wifi, this means less people can download it eg if the people you want to see your portfolio are on a train or travelling or in a place with no wifi they wont be able to download it at all because of apples 20mb limit.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just ran through this finally. First of all awesome work! You're targeting mobile really well with all your work. Also the app is awesome. Easy to use and controls make sense. Some of the environments are dark but I have the brightness on my iPhone down a good amount so that could be on my end.

Any chance to release something like for for others to load in their models? I'd totally pay .99 for that. OK maybe like 2.99. Seriously though make a version to sell please.
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! i have had this in my head for a long time but dont have the knowledge of how to do it. Really sweet and like jeffro said, I would probably pay a few bucks to get a portfolioapp where i can put in my own stuff..
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    very nice. does it just show low poly models or can you also show hi poly, but assuming its on the iphone you can only show low poly right?

do you mind showing a template of your demo reel and how you gone through with this?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    This is a really great idea, hopefully this inspires others to do the same as this could really help when meeting new people.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, a loader of 3D model from the iphone? I need to see if the technology exist into the Unity's documentation.

Already done something generic when testing OpenGL a while ago :
    - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71897

... But never had the time to continue on skin and animation part...

The idea is good, I will do some research :)

If I success, this could be a solution to get an unique new ligth version of my folio and to download my entire folio dynamically...

About iphone memory and model tri-count, I am cleaning some level done for PC.
    Finally all texture are now combined into 1k pix Diffuse to get one draw call reducing memory use. The entire level is one object of 28 018 tri. It run at 60FPS on my ipod2.
    There are also many transparent object using small gradiant texture.
    Maybe the entire scene is about 30k tri.

Now there is a SciFi scene into tu current iOS folio, and I asked a colleague to develop a shader using GL2.0 to get a light hard coded using a RGBA (diffuse + spec) and one more RGB for the normal map. Both are 1k pixel size. The level is about 683 tri.
    But it really slow down the FPS. Something like 20-25FPS and the render is not really good I think.

Well, still looking for solution to this problem.

@ UltraLrod : What do you mean about "do you mind showing a template of your demo reel and how you gone through with this". I am not sure to understand what you would like I show.... Please say more :)
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The script that you put together to get this going.
  • Nysuatro
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    make this for android and i will approve..

its an awesome idea though
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    wow.. nice job Sam!! If I use this application, Can I also make my portfolio with it?
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ UltraLrod >> haha nooo.... Give it a try downloading Unity ^_^!!
    You also need the 1kUSD license minimum to be able using it with iOS anyway and a Apple developper account is 99$USD a year if you want to have the chance to compile on your i-device. :( (also need a MAC)

@Nysuatro >> Thanks!

@Mike Yevin >> wow... with Unity that is one more 1kUSD license if I want to compile on Android! X_X. Also need an android device to give it try.
    The max size for the Android App market seems to be about 30 meg... Then I need to find the way to load model from an URL...

papagersi@ Thanks Jun! Well, the app is written from scratch with C#.
    But do not lost time with it, your last up with the grandfather head is awesome, keep going on it!

Just commit an update to the app, that should be available into one week once the Apple validation process done.
    Fixed some issue from camera and added more models :)

Please keep rating the app! ^__^!!!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great ap! I found that everytime I select 'Elevator B' - it quit the ap (using iPhone 4s)
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats good to know then but do you need to have a mac? I would figure that as long as you have apple device you should be able to use it on any apple device.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a great way to showcase your work. Very slick.

Gave it five out of five stars.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ jimmypopali : yes correct! A new version with the bug fixed has been sent last Sunday to the apple review process. It should be available during next week I suppose...

@ UltraLrod : Yes to develop on iOS is for MAC user only.

@ dustinbrown : "video on Vimeo to see the features" ?
    Never done a video from the last version... I will try to work on it in coming days :)
    "and another video tutorial on how to upload your work into the app"
    Well, nothing exciting here. Just need to know working with Unity. Nothing else.
    But I am working on a new feature then user can import their 3D asset into the viewer. That is WIP.

@ kevlar jens : wow cool!! thank you much!!! I really need stars!!! That is very important to be upper in the app list in the i-store and to get more and more downloads ^_^ .//

One more time thank you so much everyone for you time testing the app!!!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally released a video preview of the 3D folio on iOS.

Give it a try!

Thanks You!! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJdqd1y304Y&quot;]iOS 3D Folio : "sama.van - Chronology" v 1.1.1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

Just a quick message to say a new version is available from yesterday (1.1.2)

A few bug fix and now a total of 111 models into the app!!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

A new update is available!

- 12 news scenes with 100% FX content
    - 4 news scenes with levels.
    - 2 new camera systems for large levels (flying camera and walk camera)
    - Viewer menu improved.

Below the icons for the new scenes available :

sama.van-Chronology_1.1.3_preview.png

And a preview of those effects :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgnGvp8J4I&amp;feature=mfu_in_order&amp;list=UL&quot;]sama.van - Unity3d FX Experimental A.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks again for watching and stay tuned for coming update ^_^!!