Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Sketch fto make 3d model on your own.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Hello,

I wanted to ask anyone who applies this method of sketching out a concept roughly before he creates it in 3d.

junNbl.jpg

Is this type of sketch good enough as a reference for one's own 3d modeling? Or it has to be more detailed for 3d modeling. (for beginners or intermediates)

Like, I am not making a concept art and pass it on to the 3d modeler but doing 3d modeling on my own.

Discussing this would be great, thanks.

Replies

• cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    The level of detail looks ok, but orthographic images are much more useful for modeling. You can pose your model after you make it in T-pose. The artist would have to eyeball the model if they were using this concept. It really depends on how close to concept you want the model to be. I think that is what you are asking. I am also not a character artist, I am just going off of what I have encountered when doing characters in the past.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's fine. I work off stuff like that a lot, and a lot of game concept art is done this way. Usually modelers can get pretty close, don't need straight on front/side shots to make a good character.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiGj5l.jpg

Here is another pose.

Another question; How many rough sketches would one do before he finally becomes comfy with modeling the concept out in 3d?
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Nitewalkr wrote: »

I don't really understand your question. Do you mean a pro or someone just starting out? Many people work from just one image. Orthographic front/side can be nice too. I always gather lots of other reference images as well. For this kind of project, I would get images of real women, cartoon women, clothing, pose ideas etc.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    a couple things to consider when designing a character-
    1-purpose; What does the character "do"? Is the character meant to convey story and attitude or visual candy, meant to show off anatomy and various material simulations. A good design can feasibly serve both purposes but getting a general answer to the question "why?" can help in deciding a lot about the design of the character.

for example;
    stealthy futuristic female assassin, heavy body modification, masters blades and light weapons. Or..
    Attractive female study with focus on lighting and materials.

2- silhouette: does the silhouette convey the purpose of the design? What do you read from the silhouette...aggression, stealthiness, power?
    3:color palette: do the color choices further build upon the established purpose? do your gradients and values create an appealing composition?

There is much more to be considered but I think those three can really cover a lot of ground.
    So to answer your original question sure you can work like this- but your design is poor IMO.
    No offense but this currently reads as "this is what I want my girlfriend to look like".
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mheyman wrote: »
    I swear I've already seen this thread from you like a few months ago....

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85150

and

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79323

Read through all the crits in your other threads (that have basically the same character over and over). They all still apply. Sure you can model from that. You could model from a stick figure. The question is do you want to model something good? If the concept is bad the model will likely be bad.

Those threads were when i was starting out as you can see from those sketches.

I am not at the stage of starting out anymore, so thats why I asked this question again based on one concept sketched and painted out roughly for practice.

This thread is not based on the professional level, nor it is based on start up level. It is based on the level where you are just practicing and trying to improve. I've seen many people just sketch out their concept once, and than start modeling it in 3d. That being said; it is also my assumption that they would ofcourse use references other than their concept sketch for their model. (Like jmt said)

Many people would just sketch their concept from different sides, over and over, until they fully understand how it will look like if its in 3d. (Like you said)

So I assume both of these methods are correct, and it just depends on what method you'd prefer?

Dan! wrote: »
    a couple things to consider when designing a character-
    1-purpose; What does the character "do"? Is the character meant to convey story and attitude or visual candy, meant to show off anatomy and various material simulations. A good design can feasibly serve both purposes but getting a general answer to the question "why?" can help in deciding a lot about the design of the character.

for example;
    stealthy futuristic female assassin, heavy body modification, masters blades and light weapons. Or..
    Attractive female study with focus on lighting and materials.

2- silhouette: does the silhouette convey the purpose of the design? What do you read from the silhouette...aggression, stealthiness, power?
    3:color palette: do the color choices further build upon the established purpose? do your gradients and values create an appealing composition?

There is much more to be considered but I think those three can really cover a lot of ground.
    So to answer your original question sure you can work like this- but your design is poor IMO.
    No offense but this currently reads as "this is what I want my girlfriend to look like".

!! Thanks! I'll further look in to those 3 major things for 2d concept art studies. :)