Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - WH40k Style Pillar

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
I started to work on this pillar asset a few days ago, and wanted to start getting some feedback on it. I've got a good chunk of the high-poly done now and I'm about to throw it into Z Brush to ding it up and add smaller details into the metal and bricks. The side with the bar on it will also have a giant banner hanging off of it, but I will be tackling that later.

pillarRender.jpg

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Looks pretty 40k to me, maybe missing some skulls but looks pretty good. I would consider maybe making 1 or 2 bricks in zb and then duplicate/rotate them to save a ton of time instead of goong in and sculpting all that brick work uniquely. Cant wait to see the final result :)
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it a lot and it definitely looks like a 40k piece but I feel like there is something off about the bricks. particularly the distance between the bricks on the rows where there are only two bricks seems to be huge compared to the bricks on the rows where there are 3. I would in fact go so far as to say the ones on the rows with only three bricks look as if there is no distance between the bricks at all. Try laying those out more evenly before you move on an I think it will look way better.

Also I am referring specifically to horizontal distance, your vertical distance seems to be completely even throughout.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea you are totally right about the bricks, I was looking at it on my iphone on the way home so it wasnt noticeable. sculpt 2 or 3 bricks in ZB that can be just rotated and scaled and fill in the space with those rather than having a ton of unique brick/grout. i wouldn't even really have grout, just the bricks close to each other with the worn edges emphasizing the cracks between.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I see that weird spacing too, I'll have to adjust that once I get the final bricks done up. I think I'm going to sculpt 2 bricks like you guys suggested. Then toss all of the metal bits into zbrush for some scratch detailing and what not. I think a skull might be needed in there too somewhere. Haha!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a small update here, works been busy so I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on this guy. I've got a bit of sculpting done here and there. I'm hoping I'll have time to finish all of the hp stuff over the weekend.

PillarRender_2.jpg