Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The World's Only Hope [is a WIP]

I've sort of been toying around for for the past few years and finally am buckling down to get serious. My hope is to constantly move forward one day at a time until my goal of my first complete game is accomplished. You're probably thinking "yeah yeah I've heard this song before," but I really am putting all my energy into this so please help in any way shape or form. Thank you all in advance!!

To start this all off I have gone through a few designs for the main character and have finally landed on something I like. Number 4 being the final silhouette. The next step will be a color scheme for the clothes.

Any and all crits, hey how 'bouts, bumps, neh's, and mind ****s are welcome.

Let's save the WORLD!!!

1.....................................................................................2
AlkiaDesign_clothed01small.jpgAlkiaDesign_clothed02small.jpg

3.....................................................................................4
AlkiaDesign_clothed03small.jpgAlkiaDesign_clothed03revisedsmall.jpg

ps.

Alkia, our rising hero, is a half demon whose powers manifest in his right arm. He will have three forms when fully designed, including this one. A long journey lies before him and at the end is his only chance to free himself of his demon half, or so he's told...

Alkia, along with all other creatures in the world of Kairos are able to manifest and control the flow of natuElan (or Elan for short). The Sophim (humans) are able to control their inner Elan through the use of conduit objects (namely Kris), while the Murriim (demons) control it at a more primal level depending on their origin (more on that when need arises :)).

Alkia, with his 3 forms also has three fighting styles. The first makes use of an Elan Kris to manifest different weapons from a blade to a whip to a shield. The second and third are for his murriim forms and will be talked about later, though I will say they can be associated with a gryphon. All of his styles are fast moving, but have their own little quirks. Also as he changes between them so does his natuElan, which goes from red/gold, to green, to blue.

The full story has 3 major arcs, the first being what I am working on now, his sort of origin story.

Im looking for help with pushing my designs in the right direction, maybe helpful links to tutorials, and critiques on areas that I might be lacking, anything really will help.

So, thanks again in advance!!

Replies

• Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    You need to explain the character in context to the actual game, if you want 'proper' feedback!

Also what do you want feedback on? concept art skills? actual design? game idea? etc... those sort of questions help alot when it comes to giving feedback properly! but ya without any context the 4th does look the nicest : >!
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some color layouts im working with, going to try another set of colors tomorrow please let me know which you think stand out the most

AlkiaDesign_colorOptions00.jpg
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    4, 9 and 10 are my picks.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    9. The brown values blend with his skin too much, and I think your style is more about clean-cut shapes.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9. The brown values blend with his skin too much, and I think your style is more about clean-cut shapes.

Agree!
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch for the feedback so far.

Here is another set of colors. Also between here and feedback from a few friends I've included 6, 9 and 10.

20 a-c as well as 12 and 13 are examples of what could happen in-game

AlkiaDesign_colorOptions00cont_1.jpg
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    20a , 16 and 14 i like! :)
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the reference sheet while thinking about the color layout.

Think I made the arms a little to thick, but it's time to call it a night, more progress tomorrow :)

Alkia_Orthographic01.jpg

edit: seems the issue was that the arms were to short not thick
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    His legs look pretty weak to me ;) If he's the last hope I'd give him a bit more power
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His legs look pretty weak to me ;) If he's the last hope I'd give him a bit more power

ya, I agree and thus an edit :)

Alkia_Orthographic03-1.jpg
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow it has been forever since my last update, busy with school.

Anyways here is what I have so far ... I actually have no practice sculpting so I modeled a muscles by hand gonna refine the detail with some sculpting (hopefully)

AlkiaModelHiPoly_01.jpg
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so I am still working on this lol, just had to focus on school work for awhile

Here is a small update
    -Made him look younger
    -Hair is not complete need to make his ponytail
    -Gotta finish his body lol

Alkia_WIP02.jpg

Im deciding agaisnt sculpting and modeling out muscles and im just going to paint his textures from scratch hope that gives better results

Well thats all for now ... till next time please leave any comments that come to your minds
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O_O omg im still here!!!

Ya school is finally out so im getting some mroe work done on this here is the latest update

AlkiaModelWIP01.jpg

any links to texture painting tutorials at this point would be a great help
    also any links for weight painting would help as well I've always had issues getting the results that I want

I am most likely going to be using unity for the final project so any tips and/or tricks in using it will help
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a bunch of hand-painted texture links gathered by fellow polycounter toxic_h20. Hope they help!
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I like your concepts, I think they have quite a bit of character. I feel like the 3d version has lost what makes your concept interesting. You might want to take another look at the anatomy of your character. He looks/feels a bit weak for being the world's only hope. He also seems to be missing a rib cage and some other important bone structures. :) I did a paint-over for ya with some suggestions.

I suggest sticking to the same style as your concept for his mouth. Currently they seem too realistic to match his eyes. AlkiaModelHiPoly_01Paintover.jpg

Good luck on finishing your game! :)
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jessica Dinh - thanks for the links they will definately help alot

@artquest - I decided against using that (muscle) model becuase the results were not what i was looking for. I definately agree with you that I lost some of the character when I modeled his face, so I made some edits! Hope this attempt better captures the look.

Changed his fatial structure and I used smoothing groups to better show what I'm going for

AlkiaModelWIP02.jpg
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    in your concept you had a more interesting taper from his shoulders to his stomach area, which i liked. maybe make his shoulders a little broader. the other thing that helped bring that out was the fact that the vest part of his attire was sticking out more from his body which gave a really interesting silhouette. right now everything feels very straight up and down.

everything else is awesome. i like his legs silhouette.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the 20a-c group. .

A simple black and dark grey attire which accentuate and concentrate attention towards the coloured middle shapes. When i look at 20a/b/c, each one is quickly recognizable without much-if-any distractions from the rest of the design.

the 20 series work as there is only one major colour in each variation making them easy to recognize regardless if its a team-based game or not. the other variations just aren't as decisive in which colour is meant to pop-out and shout out to the viewer: "HEY, I'M THE WORLD'S ONLY HOPE!!"
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Macattackk - Thanks, and I see what you mean I broadened his shoulders a little bit and I can already see the improvement. The rest can be shown when he is rigged.

@re.wind - I agree I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, but with the lighter grey jacket from 12 and 13

Here is the latest update started on his tetxure
    -inspired by Star Wars the Clone Wars texture style
    -is he too orange? (tryna make him look african-ish)

AlkiaModelWIP03.jpg

Time to call it a night ... Merry Christams Everyone!!!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello there!

I think the hard-edged version has the most potential. It's nice and clean, and it's not been used very often in games. Now that we have access to such a broad range of tech and styles (from realistic to sculpted to handpainted) I think that making bold decisions like that is what could separate you from the rest!

Cool stuff, keeping an eye on this!