Home General Discussion

Environment lighting tips or tutorials?

Hey guys, can anyone recommend any good articles, tutorials or interesting reading specifically on environment lighting??

In particular, I'm working on an outdoor scene right now, but I'd be interested in reading anything that was specifically aimed at lighting environments, and the artistic side of environment lighting (rather than just technical know-how). Stuff like how to get different moods (eg. happy or scary), color schemes (eg. night compared to day), how traditional 3 point lighting rigs are applied outdoors, types of environment lighting rigs etc etc... Anything relevant or interesting. I find a lot of lighting information is aimed at film, and more specifically, at the lighting of actors/characters with little thought given to the backgrounds. I've always gotten by in the past, but I'd definitely love to grow my environment lighting skills.

If you're an experienced environment lighter, do you have any tips or timesavers? How did you learn your craft? What is your workflow? What games have impressed you specifically by their awesome lighting of their environments?

Hoping to learn something new, and the polycount wiki is thoroughly lacking on any enviro lighting info :)

Replies