Home Technical Talk

ZBrush 4.0 - Position Mesh to Surface and Scale Key Mapping - Questions

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I was wondering if ZB has a 'object painting' solution, where you essentially put a mesh on the surface of another mesh.

No remeshing, welding or any of that complicated stuff, just positioning a mesh of my choice, on the surface of another mesh.

Also, related to this, if it's not possible, will it be possible instead to create a sphere, and have it act like a spline, on which chosen mesh's follow down the line?

I recall vaguely that ZB could do something like this, just not sure how or if it was changed or if it was possible.

To give an example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo8zPOS_1ds&feature=youtu.be&t=5m6s

Second question, is there anyway I can remap the 'scale' (zoom of Hold ALT, press Left mouse button and then release it) button in ZB to a specific key? I'm trying to bind it to the Z key, but it doesn't work, and the one in my space bar bind also doesn't work, any ideas if there is a way for me to force 'hack' this in text files or something?

Cheers!

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    As for the object painting solution.... have you tried using InsertMesh brush?
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Mesh_Insert_Brush
    I tried it back in 3.1 for eyelashes at the time. It was fiddly and I ended up just doing it by hand in Max :p
    But I haven't used it with the newer version of Zbrush so it could have been improved since then. Let me know how it goes.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks, I forgot about that, and your reminded me why I did, I will give it a go and report back.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    and have it act like a spline, on which chosen mesh's follow down the line?
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Joseph_Drust scroll to the bottom, see if that's what you're thinking of.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon: So I tired MeshInsert-Dot, and it seems like it's more robust then previously thought, seems alot less flimsy form what I could recall, and the split into groups subtool command for said function also more stable.

Still need to use to the Shift/Ctrl keys to make my mesh behave properly without skewing it. Also, it seems like vaginally inserting the mesh, either to the right-up direction or left-down direction ensures that it doesn't 'snap' into a weird position from the when hitting a hard surface, so there is that too.

Only drawback, is I have to make a copy of my mesh I wish to insert stuff on, collapse levels, insert stuff, split it, and delete collapsed tool. Bit long-winded I would say, but still good if you don't want to change programs.

cryrid: Well, smack my cheecks and call me Sally, that's exactly what I was thinking of! Cheers mate!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, it seems like vaginally inserting the mesh, either to the right-up direction or left-down direction ensures that it doesn't 'snap' into a weird position from the when hitting a hard surface, so there is that too.
    Probably best not to put weird things in there in any direction.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I haven't see a Freudian slip that bad from me in a while, oops. I meant diagonally!

Red face here :poly136: