Closed Thread
Closed Thread

Old (#51)
I get the impression that this guy's native language isn't english, and he's not using the terms "model" and other stuff the same way we are...

I also don't get the impression that anything he does is going to significantly affect anybody who CAN make stuff like that.
Offline , polycounter, 875 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Snoqualmie Valley, WA Send a message via ICQ to GarageBay9  

Old (#52)
As much as i'd hate to bring up drama back up, the cockiness continues. Check out this "interview", lol

http://www.toonaripost.com/2012/02/l...ury-interview/

As for rexil (the other guy in the other thread, who apparently supplies J-Century's models) his account on dA was briefly deactivated and his whole gallery has been wiped due to "trolls". He moved to some blog site instead

Last edited by leilei; 02-26-2012 at 07:56 PM..
fine. If you don't want me to do art, then I won't.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,378 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007,  

Old (#53)
No mention of Xnlara in the interview?
/Bump
Offline , triangle, 354 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011,  

Old (#54)
The author of that is just some college kid.
There is always more to learn.

Portfolio: http://www.shermanCG.com

FOLLOW MY INDIE GAME https://www.facebook.com/gaimoria
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,813 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Seattle, WA  

Old (#55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessImport View Post
No mention of Xnlara in the interview?

Nope but he did say Make/made at least 9 times. The liar scale is off the charts here...
fine. If you don't want me to do art, then I won't.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,378 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007,  

Old (#56)
Render: Complete.
Offline , spline, 166 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010,  

Old (#57)
I remember way back when I was working in graphic design. We interviewed this woman that claimed her cat on a fence was her work, which was actually the illustrator tutorial file. We hired some other dude that turned out to be a fraud as well. He just didn't come in to work one day after not being able to do get his job done. It's got to be tiring faking it all your life, 2 weeks at a time until your workplace realizes you can't do what you claim.
Offline , triangle, 405 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Oakland, CA  

Old (#58)
Meh, whatevs. If you want to go to that level to ruin your image and forever have your name blacklisted in the creative industry, be my guest
There is always more to learn.

Portfolio: http://www.shermanCG.com

FOLLOW MY INDIE GAME https://www.facebook.com/gaimoria
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,813 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Seattle, WA  

Old (#59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilei View Post
As much as i'd hate to bring up drama back up, the cockiness continues. Check out this "interview", lol

http://www.toonaripost.com/2012/02/l...ury-interview/

As for rexil (the other guy in the other thread, who apparently supplies J-Century's models) his account on dA was briefly deactivated and his whole gallery has been wiped due to "trolls". He moved to some blog site instead
A quote from that interview:
TP: Have you ever had to deal with a situation where someone else took credit for your work? If so, what did you do to resolve it? How did this art theft make you feel?

JC: Sure, it always happens to me. I found a lot of people using my art without my permission and some of them steal my art, make some modify and claim as their it as their own. I report that as a violation and usually in DeviantART the staff has a high efficiency of reaction for the report I make. Honestly, I feel quite happy when someone steals my art because no one will steal my art if it looks bad.

Offline , polygon, 616 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#60)
kwakkie that was the best quote.
Portfolio - www.ghostscape.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,572 Posts, Join Date Aug 2006, Location Irvine, CA  

Old (#61)
He seems to love you Hazardous :P Be proud... I... guess?

Probably a deeply unhappy guy who knows deep down how sad he really is.
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#62)
I got the impression he was more deeply delusional and doesn't see anything wrong with it.
Available for freelance or fulltime work

My Blogfolio
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,667 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Vancouver BC  

Old (#63)
wow.....speechless..this is what i wake up to..T-T
Offline , polycounter, 799 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Jungsik  

Old (#64)
"That’s a long story. I’m a self-taught artist, I think."

'I think'

Adam L. Fransson - Freelance Environment Artist... Nyu~
Offline , triangle, 462 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Sweden  

Old (#65)
**edit***

arrgh... bad intel

Last edited by JacqueChoi; 02-27-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Jacque Choi
Senior Character Artist
Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,693 Posts, Join Date Aug 2006, Location Montreal QC, Canada Send a message via MSN to JacqueChoi  

Old (#66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueChoi View Post
Jaco's catwoman is in there.
where ?

the catwoman i see is from batman game and actually has the proper copyright information at bottom of description.
http://j-century.deviantart.com/gall...set=0#/d4qrv3p

Quote:
™ & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
© 2008 Rocksteady, all rights reserved.
© Torunedo Dezainsutajio 2012. All Rights Reserved.
it seems obvious to me that there is a disconnected between what we think he is doing and what he thinks he is doing. he basically extracts art assets from games and poses them and renders them. his friends and people in his circle are hobbyists and dont really know the difference or care to look deeper into to issue.

Last edited by MM; 02-27-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,422 Posts, Join Date May 2006,  

Old (#67)
kill the cancer
Offline , polygon, 584 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Tampere, Finland  

Old (#68)
Nah that's the catwoman model from Arkham City.

Not even sure how he would get his hands on Jaco's model unless he gave it to him.
Offline , polygon, 735 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010,  

Old (#69)
hmmm, I'm confused. From reading some of the model comments I don't see him anywhere saying he modeled them, per-se, and on one of the FF dudes (Snow?) he actually posts a link to where he downloaded it. So is he saying he modeled them as well, or just posed and rendered them?

Jacque, I only see the AC Catwoman as well, sure you're not just subconsciously wishing AC had used Jaco's model instead?
Available for freelance or fulltime work

My Blogfolio
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,667 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Vancouver BC  

Old (#70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudzAlmighty View Post
hmmm, I'm confused. From reading some of the model comments I don't see him anywhere saying he modeled them, per-se, and on one of the FF dudes (Snow?) he actually posts a link to where he downloaded it. So is he saying he modeled them as well, or just posed and rendered them?
"I never said I modeled it" is really a weak rationalization in my opinion.

People tend to assume when you put your name on something that it's your work. The copyright notice at the bottom is worthless information, even the artist who actually created the original has to put that notice down there because the studio owns the copyright regardless of who made it.

In any case anything of value has already been said on page 1: None of these people have futures as artists. At best they get some false sense of pride from the praise they garner from ignorant strangers (and I guess ignorant editors on websites that interview them...)

Old (#71)
Hello Members of the Polycount Forum,

I am the author of the article and first of all I would just like to apologize for my ignorance. I have been doing a lot of interviews with 2d artists and even a sculptor that I've found on deviantart.com and I wanted to branch out and interview someone who was working with 3D modeling. This "artist" just happened to be the one of the ones that popped up and I saw that he had a lot of submissions so I went for it. Considering the amount of submissions he had I didn't even consider the possibility that he may have been an art thief, since usually deviantart is pretty good about getting rid of those kind of things or at least in my experience. I also don't know a whole lot about 3D modeling as I've never actually done 3D modeling. This was definitely a big mistake on my part and I apologize for spotlighting him without doing my research.

Now, on to the "good" news or at least I think it is good news, however, you guys might think differently. Anyways, in an effort to diversify the artist spotlights and as a chance to apologize to the people that J-century may have ripped off I want to interview some of the fine artists here. So if you are interested in an interview please send me a private message with a link to your portfolio or some of your pieces and I will take a look at them and then. After reviewing your work I will send you questions that I would like you to answer for the interview. You can also send me links to artists that you think I might be interested in or that you think deserves a spotlight and I can try and contact them myself.

Again my sincerest apologies!
Kala
Offline , null, 1 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012,  

Old (#72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudzAlmighty View Post

Jacque, I only see the AC Catwoman as well, sure you're not just subconsciously wishing AC had used Jaco's model instead?
oh woops! you n MM are right.

my bad.

T_T
Jacque Choi
Senior Character Artist
Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,693 Posts, Join Date Aug 2006, Location Montreal QC, Canada Send a message via MSN to JacqueChoi  

Old (#73)
i will be as good as him one day!
Online , Counter of Polys™, 6,228 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala.Istvanek View Post
Hello Members of the Polycount Forum,

I am the author of the article and first of all I would just like to apologize for my ignorance. I have been doing a lot of interviews with 2d artists and even a sculptor that I've found on deviantart.com and I wanted to branch out and interview someone who was working with 3D modeling. This "artist" just happened to be the one of the ones that popped up and I saw that he had a lot of submissions so I went for it. Considering the amount of submissions he had I didn't even consider the possibility that he may have been an art thief, since usually deviantart is pretty good about getting rid of those kind of things or at least in my experience. I also don't know a whole lot about 3D modeling as I've never actually done 3D modeling. This was definitely a big mistake on my part and I apologize for spotlighting him without doing my research.

Now, on to the "good" news or at least I think it is good news, however, you guys might think differently. Anyways, in an effort to diversify the artist spotlights and as a chance to apologize to the people that J-century may have ripped off I want to interview some of the fine artists here. So if you are interested in an interview please send me a private message with a link to your portfolio or some of your pieces and I will take a look at them and then. After reviewing your work I will send you questions that I would like you to answer for the interview. You can also send me links to artists that you think I might be interested in or that you think deserves a spotlight and I can try and contact them myself.

Again my sincerest apologies!
Kala

great that you're doing that and all. but you also might want to add a footer to the offending artical, explaining the difference between what he's doing, and real genuine creation. especially as some parts of the interview seem to allude to the possibility that doing what he's doing can actually land you jobs (or at the very least, that people THINK it can).

also, this really made me chuckle...
Quote:
TP: Have you ever had to deal with a situation where someone else took credit for your work? If so, what did you do to resolve it? How did this art theft make you feel?

JC: Sure, it always happens to me. I found a lot of people using my art without my permission and some of them steal my art, make some modify and claim as their it as their own. I report that as a violation and usually in DeviantART the staff has a high efficiency of reaction for the report I make. Honestly, I feel quite happy when someone steals my art because no one will steal my art if it looks bad.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAAHA!
Online , Counter of Polys™, 6,228 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#75)
Quote:
great that you're doing that and all. but you also might want to add a footer to the offending artical, explaining the difference between what he's doing, and real genuine creation. especially as some parts of the interview seem to allude to the possibility that doing what he's doing can actually land you jobs (or at the very least, that people THINK it can).
Really don't think that's necessary... The article got comment bombed pretty hard. Either leave it up or take it down but don't try to turn it into some PSA.

Closed Thread