Home Technical Talk

Clothing Textures

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Hey dudes! My cloth is terrible. I noticed how terrible after seeing this marmoset render from Cedric Seaut's Zbrushcentral thread.

marmz.jpg

His materials are insane! The clothing doesn't appear to have much specular on it, so is it mostly just a really awesome diffuse? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the best way to go about it.

Replies

• Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a good combination of diffuse (with some ambient occlusion maybe) and normal, to me it also seems there is a small hint of colored specularity with small cosine power. (in other words, a faint metallic shine but not too glossy/focused)

If you posted some of your cloth for comparison, it'd be possible to pinpoint the differences.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Sure. Here's my attempt at cloth. I'm nowhere close to his level but I hope to be one day!

psycho2i.jpg
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're relying on textures too much here. Your cloth has simply not enough geometry detail on the render mesh, it seems inflated the way it is now. Probably also because it doesn't fold enough in comparison to its size, assuming this straitjacket was supposed to look loose - should be tighter in some places, and wrinkles could be bigger around those spots. Another thing I see here is that the belts restraining the guy all look loose, again because they don't bend into the cloth itself enough - they look sewn into it and generally fake. It's as if they were going easy on this guy, or put the belts there just for show.
    As for the material itself, I see nothing wrong with it. Blood could shine a bit, try different specularity colors and intensity for that depending on how fresh it is supposed to look.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cloth texture you've applied almost looks like it was composited directly onto this image; it doesn't really follow the arms or the folds. Take a good look at the cloth you're working at. In Cedrics piece, that diffuse noise works really well on that coat, maybe try emulating that a little?

Also, the bloody brush stamp around the neck needs a bit of love, it mysteriously fades on the left side, and might be a bit overboard. I'd try softening the edges to make it bleed into the cloth a little more.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I would concentrate more on the cloth and leather. They're what brings the texture down, not the cloth.
    Price check, cloth/cloth isle!

I've had this on my mind, since I'm texturing some cloth tonight, doing a bit of back and forth with my models and the texture.

I think where it really counts in the model is the shape of the wrinkles. In your Hannibal piece, the wrinkles are very sharp, and only cut in sharply, but don't lead anywhere in some places around the elbows. -Hard to do without Zbrush, I know. Anyway, study some references really well, wrinkles are hard.

This is kind of a half-thought, but looking at costuming, and notice that some fabric choice/construction just looks cheaper than others?