Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2011 Snap error?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys!

I recently upgraded to max 2011 for work and the first thing that I've noticed is the changes they made to snapping as well as the really irritating free floating edit window for extrusions and the like.

My first problem with snapping is something I don't know how to fix... basically if I drag some vertices in one window, they snap to the world center in another view even though I'm not working on that axis... this is best shown with a video...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyqATJqMTs[/ame]

Secondly, is there any way to disable the new free floating edit windows and go back to the standard pop up window?
floating_window.jpg
They just don't work as well as they should.

Oh, and another weird thing I've noticed is that after selecting a mesh and then deselecting and grabbing another one, the pivot point position numbers (bottom of the screen) don't get updated to those of the new selection so I can't move them numerically like I used to be able to.

Thanks!

Replies

• ScottJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottJ polycounter lvl 13
    I dont know about the second one, but to your first question in the snaps menu (choose what to snap to) on one of the tabs there is use axis constraint, I think this should solve your issue.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That helped sort of... while axis constraints does fix the issue, it limits your movement which is a bit frustrating...in 2010 you could actually drag by the vertices themselves and it would snap correctly and you could move in both axes without having to try to re-adjust based on the gizmo.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The quality of that video is pretty bad, its hard to tell if the gizmo is actually highlighting the vert or if you're grabbing an axis. If you hover over the center of the gizmo it should unhighlight all of the axis and put a little circle around the vert, then you click and can drag it around. Which is the core difference between 2010 and 2011.

1) Like Scott said you need to adjust your snap options, if you're going to snap in a front or side viewport and you don't want it to snap to the master grid line you should switch it to 2D or 2.5D having 3D snaps turned on and set to the grid will always smash it to the main 0 grid line, unless you're in 2D or 2.5D.

They upgraded snaps again and they work flawlessly in 2012 now. All of my past complaints have been taken care of and its pure joy to snap things in max now.

You might want to turn on the 3D snaps floater, right click a blank spot in the main toolbar and turn on snaps. For me this floater is easier to use than right clicking the 3D snap icon and dealing with the options.
    3dsmax_snaps.jpg

2) Get used to the caddy system, its annoying as all hell in 2010 and 2011 but in 2012 it behaves a lot more like the old system did with the only difference being the look. I hated them in 2010 and 2011 but now I'm natural to them, they don't annoy me but they aren't an improvement.

The big difference I know about is in the back end and what the new system allows them to do moving forward. It's faster and more flexible and allows them do a lot more than they could with the old UI system so they won't ever get rid of them.

So my suggestion is get 2012 as soon as possible just make sure to get the service packs and hot fixes because it was kind of buggy on release...

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1098044#post1098044
    Oh and I put this together a while back I think it was with 3dsmax2010 but it explains the difference between 3D, 2.5D and 2D snaps.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    speaking of caddies... is there a keyboard shortcut for applying the operation (pressing enter no worky)?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    speaking of caddies... is there a keyboard shortcut for applying the operation (pressing enter no worky)?
    Humm that's weird, enter applies the operation and closes the caddy for me, at least in 2012.
    Do you have Keyboard Shortcut Override turned on?
    Did you rebind enter to something else?
    What kind of keyboard do you have and did it come with any kind of software that might be conflicting?
    Have you tried both enter keys on the keyboard?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    3dsmax_snaps.jpg
    Oh god I never knew about this.
    I was right clicking the snap icon all along.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea its awesome and a lot faster than dealing with the right click options menu. You can drag it into the main toolbar or right click the upper part of the floater and dock it on the right or left of the screen.

What I also like to do is create a new blank floating toolbar called unwanted (Customize > Customize UI> Toolbar tab > New). Then hold alt and drag all the buttons I don't want in the main toolbar, into "unwanted". Then I close the floater, which hides it.

That way I can still get to those buttons if I ever need them but they aren't cluttering things up. Most of the snap options and render buttons end up in there... heh. I then fill up the newly created space in the main toolbar with scripts.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so 2.5 D seems to solve the issue of the verts snapping to the world center but its still not as good as snapping in 2010. I wasn't using the center green circle of the transform gizmo because if I select two verts, that green circle will appear in the middle of said two points and is NOT aligned to the grid itself. So if I snap based on that point, my verts end up being half way between the grid level I'm currently set to. Not very useful if you ask me. In 2010, you could simply grab the vert directly (in 3D snap mode) and it would snap based on its previous alignment to the grid which was very handy. The problem now is that if I try to do this and the transform gizmo happens to be anywhere near, it restricts the movement to the axis that happens to highlight (usually Y) - even though I don't have "use axis constraints" turned on.

I'd love to upgrade to 2012 but I'm only using 2011 now because of the copy from work so I'll have to wait till I can personally afford 2012 which will likely be 2013 by the time I have enough spare cash :)

I haven't even looked into the Caddy system yet so I'll definitely take a look when I have a chance.

No way to revert back to the old pop up window when extruding, chamfering, bevelling etc. etc.?
  • stubs3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stubs3d polycounter lvl 10
    I just switched to 3ds Max 2011 and all I can say is the snap revamp is VERY FRUSTRATING. Why can't they leave things alone that are PROVEN to work well, or at least provide an option to use legacy snaps?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't go back to the way max snapped in 2010 and lower, if you held a gun to my head.

It was barely useable before the revamp, but now it works a lot more like Maya and other popular 3D apps. It's a lot more accurate and the snap highlight in the center of the gizmo is well worth the upgrade.