Home Technical Talk

max with a tablet?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
Evening,

I have used Maya with my tablet from the outset...in fact the only thing that I dont use it for currently is UDK. I'm looking at switching to Max for the forseeable future but one thing has bugged the hell out of me with it.

Is there a decent Zoom option with a two button wacom pen other than crtl-shift-middle click?

Failing that I will just suck it up and use a mouse I guess...but I would rather use the pen.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I used it like that a long time ago : default max keys, middle click on the low rocker, right click on the high rocker.

However I strongly suggest you to pick up DRaster Switcher for Max, to bring in Maya controls. They are better overall, and much more tablet friendly too. (same rocker configuration as above)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I also use to use my tablet with Max all the time. Had too since my internship at SOE they gave me a cintiq to use so it was skin or swim!

But now I have to use Maya and use my tablet with it every day. If you are use to the tablet with Maya I 100% recommend the DRaster Switcher for Max also.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure I understand also, is it really the two modifier keys the problem? I would imagine a single click solution would be better then two modifier keys, or is there something more?

Why not map the movement keys to Z, X and C?

Z = Zoom
    X = Rotate
    C = Forget what I mapped it for, but I use it for something.

Also, Quad Menu's are beneficial, map them to your Shift + Letter combo and stack together common usage tools.

Shift + X = Basic tools
    Shift + C = Selection tools
    Shift + D = Modifiers

You can also make it more ergonomic to map out the more common commands like selecting the faces or vertices one case lower on your keyboard as well gizmos.

A, S, D = Gizmo instead of QWERTY
    Q, W, R = Subobject selection
    1, 2, 3 = Viewmodes

Try make it so that everything you need is stacked under you palm and don't require you to distort your pinky finger in weird positions.

Max was never created with the tablet solution, so you kinda have to spend a good part of your day mapping out your own hotkeys I would say.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    thanks for the replys folks

hey perna, its not the two hotkeys thats the issue, the zoom is very sluggish and takes a lot of vertical strokes to get where you want, rather than a single roll of the middle mouse wheel, sorry should have been a little clearer on that one.

thanks pior and autocon, I have Nex for maya here at home...completly forgot that they did switcher too so I will see if work will get hold of it for me, sounds like the best soloution, heheh yeah I have my rocker buttons set with the same configuration.

thanks also ace angel, yeah as mentioned above the zoom is very sluggish and requires a lot of vertical dragging to function properly, thanks for the advice on the quad menu's too, I think that I will be stumbling around in max for a week or two, but as soon as I know what I use the most I will deffo break out the hotkeys.

*edit* downloaded the trial....works great, have yet to figure out how to get maya space bar four view to fullscreen function turned on but I'm hooked already I think...thanks again :)