Home Technical Talk

Normal Weirdness

Hello Polycount, I'm having a bit of a problem baking some normal maps out of Topogun that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The normals seem to have some sort of extreme red blue....weirdness that is making really apparent seams when applied to the texture. I've attached the normals straight from Topogun, Marmoset render showing how the seams don't blend, and a screenshot from Crazybump. The Crazybump screenshot seems to be telling me that the map is trying really really hard to make the limbs and torso look round as opposed to showing the sculpted detail on the round lopoly.

I hope this makes sense to someone out there, this is my first normal map so I'm kinda fumbling around in the dark. Thanks a ton.

Edit: Since this is my first post I can't attach the images as attachments, here's the image links.

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    That crazy bump render doesn't tell you anything, and ignore the colors in your normal map.

Look at the render. Look at the different UV areas and how they are lighting differently.

Your left/right legs are lighting backwards. Your torso appears to be lit from underneath, opposite the 'head' which looks mostly correct.

I would hypothesize that one of your channels needs to be flipped. Additionally, there may be something you need to do with Marmoset to get the mirrored UVs to light correctly.
  • Luke the yeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out the problem I had with my last set of normals was that I didn't have the second set of mirrored UV's moved out of the way when I rendered the map in Topogun. Here's my second pass at normal maps with the spikes, teeth, and eyes added in. There's still all sorts of weirdness going on but I think I'll be able to get this worked out in class today.

tan%252520lizard%252520test%252520normal%2525203.jpg

bad%252520normal%2525201.jpg

bad%252520normal%2525202.jpg