Home Technical Talk

Converting polys to Sub D Problem

Hi guys, sorry to start a new thread just for this but I couldn't find a solution to this anywhere else.

I'm currently modelling a barrel to ease me into Maya after not using her for a while and I've come into some trouble.

It wont let me convert my poly model into sub d, so I can go ahead and bake this thing.

I get the error message:

// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details.

What im doing is selecting the barrel, then going to Modify - Convert - Polys into Sub-D.

Can you guys spot where im going wrong?

Barrel.jpg

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the script editor give you any helpful information?
    Maya's subdivision surfaces are kind of icky, any reason you're not just using Smooth Mesh preview/convert for this barrel?
    On second glance, your polygons look rounded anyway, is it already a sub-d shape, or are you actively in smooth preview?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I think the trouble is the use of the term "SubD". What we generally mean is a polygon mesh that has been subdivided (aka "smoothed"). It remains a polygon mesh, just with more polygons and averaged vertex positions. It's not a true subdivision surface.

To subdivide your mesh, use the mesh>smooth option, or hit "3" on your keyboard for smooth mesh preview then go to modify>convert>smooth mesh preview to polygons.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Im not too sure what I was doing wrong. But I've sorted the problem now thanks guys!

However, I've encountered a new one which I haven't seen before.

The envelope for baking is...well was appearing when I was unwrapping my low poly in the UV Editor. So I had to delete the envelope surface shader, to get rid of it.

Now I'm coming to bake there is obv no envelope to tweak my bake. Is there any way of restoring this?

Thanks for your help guys, means a lot.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing. The normal map isn't picking up the top detail of the HP barrel for some reason. Even though the envelope is encompassing the LP and ive optimised it the best I can.

You can see here a previous bake of a slightly higher LP model and the detail on the top of the barrel. (556 Tris).

Barrel-3.jpg

Now on the new bake which is just a flat surface on top. (160 Tris)

Example.jpg

You can see the inner ring detail has hardly been picked up, and the detail on the top of the can opening isnt there either. Its like the bake is cutting the top of the HP off.

You doods have any ideas as to what Im doing wrong. Im stumped...
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've given up on that one for now. Moving onto AO.