Home Technical Talk

Rate my new tower build I made

Cpu:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

Graphics:
Evga 560 GTX ti
with newest Nvidia drivers from their site, installed last night

Motherboard:
ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Harddrive:
250 gig WesternDigital

Win 7 x64 ultimate

Power:
750 Antec

..Currently having massive problems trying to sound to work but I'm posting over on the WinSeven forums, I think it'll get solved today or tomorrow I hope.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    You hard drive is your biggest bottleneck right now, I think the smallest capacity modern mechanical drive sold nowadays is 500gb, so next upgrade would best be spent on an ssd.

Memory is dirt cheap nowadays too, I have that same memory in one of my rigs and saw 8gb of it for like $50 the other day.

Everything else seems decent to me.

Any specific reason for micro ATX mobo though?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think 250gb is plenty of space depending on what you are doing with it. I mean yeah you might hit the ceiling if you don't move all your useless crap onto an external but I would think that it could get him by.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think 250gb is plenty of space depending on what you are doing with it. I mean yeah you might hit the ceiling if you don't move all your useless crap onto an external but I would think that it could get him by.

No 250gb is plenty of space for an OS drive, but the actual speed and throughput of the drive is going be relatively low compared to an SSD or even a larger capacity drive with higher areal density.
  • Fandor1n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fandor1n polycounter lvl 14
    8 gigs of ram is not enough, as well as 250gb of hdd.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Fandor1n wrote: »
    8 gigs of ram is not enough, as well as 250gb of hdd.

Not enough for what?
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Your motherboard is a bit cheesy, and your PSU is overkill, but it's a decent setup. It would easily see a performance boost if you put your OS on a SS Drive and got a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 spinpoint drive, or similar. 8 GB should suffice unless you're working with very large textures or have a lot of different programs up at once. Another 8 gigs isn't that expensive and would definitely go a long way in the future. Wait a few months though. My ram is about 75% the cost it was when I first got it.
  • Fandor1n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fandor1n polycounter lvl 14
    Not enough for what?
    HDD:
    I have a 250gb hdd at home, and now i understand, that i need to buy a new one. I have 1 partition for windows7 with all that system files (19.5 of 48.7gb free), 1 partition for program files, swap and WIPs (12.3 of 83.0gb free) and one dump partiton (16.4 of 101gb free). As you can see there's no lot of space left, disregarding that textures, tutorials and all that stuff stored on network drive of my wife PC. + creating separate partition for photoshop swap files will increase performance.
    RAM:
    DDR3 right now is about ~25$ for 4gb here in Minsk, thats really cheap. And there's huge difference when working in houdini\zbrush with 8 and 16gbs. This difference cost more than 50$ :)