Home General Discussion

Software survey

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Poll is multiple choice!

(I've already used the search bar and didn't see any threads like this)

Im interested in seeing for myself what software seems to be the most common on these forums rather than post a software debate thread. I think this forum will reflect the industry quite well when it comes to software which is why I decided to ask!

I'd like to see what people use more in the poll, and please post why you chose maya over max or mudbox over zbrush.

For those of you who should know, my school currently uses macs which means I have to learn maya and possibly mudbox (I prefer zbrush right now). So I already know max pretty well but ill be learning maya at the same time, im just curious if a switch will hinder me. I know people like slipgate have created some awesome stuff with maya while max seems to be more popular with hardsurface artists, my target is character art which I've already been told maya is more suited for.

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Max - Because it's what i got introduced to at uni.
    Zbrush - As above.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I still switch between Max and Maya as I make a model. Zbrush is a given really.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you resort to maya for? More organic modeling?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    The switch is more of an annoyance than a hindrance. 90% of what you learn as a modeller is observational skills. I would be seriously carefull when listening to people who tell you things like 'max isnt good for modelling characters' or 'maya isnt good for modelling HS' those people are usually inexperienced hacks blaming the apps for their lack of talent.

Max has a more up to date modelling toolset but all the essentials are there in maya and theres nothing in either stopping you from creating great HS or Organic work.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never used maya earlier because of its UI, but it looks alot better nowadays and it seems to be given much more care by autodesk. And seeing as how Max is categorized under architecture on autodesks website leads me to believe it is used more for hardsurface :P.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    I never used maya earlier because of its UI, but it looks alot better nowadays and it seems to be given much more care by autodesk. And seeing as how Max is categorized under architecture on autodesks website leads me to believe it is used more for hardsurface :P.

the only difference between HS and Organic is how you arrange the polys. in the end its what you know about your subject that creates a good model.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    What do you resort to maya for? More organic modeling?

~ Like r_fletch says, neither is really 'better'. I just like the way Maya's 'repeat last function' tool works if I'm going to be doing a very repetitive thing, and I like the way the move tool works when you use it in freehand mode. I literally model in whatever I have open, and then export the OBJ and carry on modeling in the other program when I feel like using another tool in a certain way. It's just preference, and making sure I don't get rusty in either program.

Max I think has more up to date modeling functions as a whole though. Things like 'Flow Connect' save a lot of time.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Shouldn't Softimage XSI be on the list?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sorry I almost forgot about modo too, and I can't edit the poll now =\
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I use Max because that's what all the studios I've worked at use, I was originally a Maya user - switching was easy, it took about 1 night with 3dBuzz tutorials.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Where's softimage?! :(
    I've used maya and max, I've always wanted to try modo,
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I use Max and ZBRush from the list but Silo is still where I model my stuff.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I use modo because its awesome.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I use 3ds Max, Maya and Zbrush. Haven't tried Mudbox yet.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Use Max in school but use Maya now because of work. I prefer Max every day of the week.

Maya is missing a lot of tools and features that you expect from a industry-standard application that's needed for effective modelling and uv-mapping. The tools that are featured are just inconvenient compared to Max.

"But you can buy scripts/plug-ins that do such things, like Nex!". Connect, multi-cut and symmetry for $168? Get out of here! Such features should be in Maya by default!

Don't forget Maya's history feature - it's ridiculous! It just cripple your workflow in every way.
    As you can see, I'm not a fan of Maya but if you have any work arounds about the stuff I've mentioned, please tell me! I'd love to know!

One thing I love about Maya though is the snapping!

I also use Zbrush at home and it's really lovely. The UI is quite tricky though and take alot of time to get used to.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Zbrush is a given really.
    Out of curiosity... why?

I mean, I'm a ZBrush user, I bought it mainly because for what you get for the money it seemed like a much better purchase than Mudbox even if I don't use 90% of the shit that's in it. But I also used Mudbox for a while and it seemed pretty good, the biggest problem for me was performance (but my computer was pretty shitty at the time) What makes Zbrush the obvious choice over Mudbox or for that matter 3D Coat?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    MODO , it's unbeliviable fast and powerful modeling app..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Max, Modo, Zbrush, Sculptris.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    dii wrote: »
    Out of curiosity... why?

I mean, I'm a ZBrush user, I bought it mainly because for what you get for the money it seemed like a much better purchase than Mudbox even if I don't use 90% of the shit that's in it. But I also used Mudbox for a while and it seemed pretty good, the biggest problem for me was performance (but my computer was pretty shitty at the time) What makes Zbrush the obvious choice over Mudbox or for that matter 3D Coat?

I love Zbrush because it's so friendly when you get real used to it. When ever i use it, i bring the model back into max and bake the maps there and the mix is super easy and fun. :\
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't used Mudbox or 3d Coat much but one thing that makes ZBrush much more preferable than Mudbox for me is how Pixologic treats their customers. All updates are free etc.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Modo, Max, Zbrush mainly :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    maya - primarily cos it was the software that my uni course was using
    Max - occasionaly, just so that if I need to switch for a gig then I'm halfway there)
    zbrush - cos I actually like the separation that the UI gives from maya, when I'm in zbrush I feel like i use a different part of my brain to a 3d app and the different navigation etc enhances that for me.
    Mudbox - same reason as Max
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I use both Max and Maya, but both Frankenstein programs.

Neither were really designed for scalability. So there's so much excess legacy crap in there that really doesn't need to be. And where you SHOULD find certain tools isn't as intuitive as it should be. (Does anyone even use Editable Mesh anymore? Why is that the default??)

When there are new tools, or features, they're never 'integrated'. They're just 'tacked on' somewhere completely randomly.

I find it's less about one being better, and more about what's less cumbersome than the other.

Never got around to learning Blender, or XSI yet, but it seems to handle this much better.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Max and Zbrush. I started with Max and tried a bunch of other programs, but I can't seem to get away from Max, and I also used to use Mudbox, but after trying Zbrush I really loved it.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I use maya only because thats what I started with. I used to use mudbox but I`ve been learning zBrush and like it a lot better.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    softimage (modeling/shading) uvlayout (uvs), zbrush (detail mostly, but some organic props are done at 90% there, also I find its awesome for pulling out cavity and ao maps for texturing, and even for some organic props as rocks, I find uvmaster an awesome addon and time saver) and mari (texturing, although I share texturing also with ps and zb, but it all ends up on mari). I also use max sometimes (I am a max deserter I recognize it, I thinks its freakin awesome program but besides 2009 64bit, I simply cant stand it), I think softimage is far superior than max for modeling but its uv tools suck enormously so I go to max to fix some stuff coming from uvlayout.. well I guess I do that because I am not that good in uvlayout yet...

edit: I would really like to give maya a try, but I cant stand its navigation with a wacom pen (viewport rotation is way too sensitive) unless some of you know a workaround to change controls? :)
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I used to use 3ds and then after that I learned and used Maya during and a little after a class that taught it.

Currently though I'm using Blender a lot and I really love Sculptris, but since my computer is old and can't handle models that are too large I end up sending my Sculptris sculpts into Zbrush.

However I'm sort of experimenting with these, I'm going to be experimenting with Blender's sculpting tools and if that works out then I might drop Sculptris.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo:

1. Awesome modeling and UV editing.

2. Very easy to customize.

3. Reasonable base and upgrade prices. No subscription based fees :)
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This Poll is actually quite revealing..
    Totally sucks that Modo was missed out
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why did you bump this?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Max, ZBbrush AND Mudbox.

I'm sorry but I just don't have 5000 hours of my life to dedicate to zbrush, so I can't get as deep as many people do, so for simple stuff, sometimes MudBox is just better.
    Whereas if needed be, zbrush can be more powerful in some cases. So It's useful to know the basics of both.

I find mudbox in particular to be no short of amazing when it comes to texturing.

PS. I do intend to give Modo a go sooner or later.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Why did you bump this?

uh... someone just linked it in a TechTalk thread. Didn't realize it was old