Home Technical Talk

Unreal, Dynamic reflection question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
naked_chicken polycounter lvl 10
So I'm trying to set up dynamic reflections for a small level with multiple floors at different heights. I've got it set up with a SceneCaptureReflectActor and I'm getting really good results on the first floor. Problem is if you go up a floor then the reflections look wrong because they are deriving their reflection from the Actor that is still down one floor. I've tried creating a new actor on the second floor but that didn't work. Anyone know how you can either:

A. set up a material to read from different SceneCapture actors based on where you are.

B. have the SceneCapture actor follow the character.

C. bring in multiple SceneCapture actors that you can make new materials out of for each floor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    To do this you need multiple scene capture actors and to set them to use multiple render targets. Then change the references in the relevant materials. I'd make it possible to make material instances and change the reflection as a parameter.

There is no existing system for dynamically switching between scenecapture actors.

you could try using image based reflections but that's a Direct X 11 feature.