Home Technical Talk

Is 2056 a valid texture size?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
Hi all,

I work at a simulation studio that does simulation for coal mining and we work with Unity3D.
Draw-calls seem to be a huge issue with this package so we decided to consolidate several textures onto bigger texture sheets.

Some of these textures still need to tile so my question is this, in a 1024, 2048 etc can I add another row of 4,8 or 16 pixels to bleed the textures?

Will adding lower numbers from the power of two scale to the existing textures keep them in a valid format?

Some insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated :)

Best,
Sebastian

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    no, the dimensions of a texture must be a power of 2.

2, 4, 8, 16... 512, 1024, 2048, 4096...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Make a 2038 tileing texture with a 5 pixel bleading edge (so that its now a 2048 texture), and UV the mesh so that its only in the 2038 area.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do you need bleed on a tiling texture? Funky uvs?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the quick replies guys.
    Great suggestion on the 2038 idea, unfortunately I cant do that as all the textures are already created and time and budget makes this one big mess. I guess I'll go one size higher and pack some smaller textures on there as well that don't need to tile but give me some room to bleed the other ones.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ earthquake lets say i have a floor, a wall and a ceiling for a corner piece and a straight hallway type of piece, if i stitch the three together to eliminate the seam from the floor to the wall and from the wall to the ceiling then they have to tile with the floor and the ceiling on the other model/texture but due to wrapping, the last row of pixels on the floor will blend with the last row of the ceiling causing a seam :(
    So yeah, long story short funky uvs due to engine limitations (argh!!!)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the quick replies guys.
    Great suggestion on the 2038 idea, unfortunately I cant do that as all the textures are already created and time and budget makes this one big mess. I guess I'll go one size higher and pack some smaller textures on there as well that don't need to tile but give me some room to bleed the other ones.

You dont need to literally make new textures, just resize the textures in photoshop on your combo sheet, and edit the uvs accordingly. You're already tweaking the textures and uvs, so this isn't really much extra work.

Say you have 4 1024s in a 2048, just scale each down 90 or 95% or whatever, and do the same with your uvs, then add your bleed. This is really the only way to get around it.