Home Technical Talk

working with 3ds max and blender

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
hello,

I really like blender and I am 10x faster modelling with blender than with 3ds max. I want to work someday in the (games) industry so I have to learn 3ds max anyway. My question now is, are there 3d artist that use both programs?

For example, you have a job to do. In the end the client wants a 3ds max file. So start modelling in blender and export it as an .obj file to open it later in 3ds max and fix the bugs.

I just tried to ex/-import a model as a .3ds file... I got some strange effects on the model and as soon as I converted it to "editable poly" in max the model seemed to disappear. With .obj everything worked just fine. Only the face-normals seemed to be inverted. Regarding texturing I didn't check it for now.

I am just curious if there are people doing it like that out there because unfortunately blender isn't very implemented in the industry.

Thx for answers!

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    In the time I learned max was the same time from when I opened blender to when I got frustrated.

I dont think you'll have any problems :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I use programs at work. Blender for modeling and unwrapping, and 3ds max to export to our engine.

I do get the problems you described, mainly the export being hit and miss with flipped normals, missing UV channels, etc, so I do end up doing a bit of inspecting before sending the asset down the pipeline. And while the Blender to max pipeline is pretty much straightforward for environment work, skeletal meshes are still a no-go, since our strictly speaking our pipeline is built around max. That would be your biggest consideration if you wanted to keep using Blender in the industry, I would think.