Home Technical Talk

Max 2011 Snap to Grid Sucks - Can it be fixed?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
So I'm having trouble aligning things with Snap to Grid how I used to. Back in Max 2009 I was able to move an object around with snap to grid turned on and return it to the exact same spot I started in. Not so in 2011. Here's a comparison:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfJ-Y_4Cuk[/ame]

I use this method a lot in order to align my HP and LP for baking after it's exploded. Does anybody know if it's possible to make snap to grid behave like previous versions?

Replies

• Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I felt the same when I switched from 2009 to 2011. But since I started learning Maya I understood how this grid system works and I like it.

To do what you want: lock your selection and move it using "grid points", clicking outside the gizmo's influence.

What happens is that max creates a temporary pivot when you select multiple objects and if you try to move that selection by clicking on the gizmo, this temporary pivot will get snapped to the nearest grid point, screwing everything else's snapping. If you move the selection by clicking outside the gizmo's influence, max will not try to re-snap the pivot and move the selection in grid steps instead, just like in previous versions.

This behavior is great to quickly re-snap objects and sub-objects back to the grid too.

Basically:
    clicking on the gizmo = max will snap the current selection to the nearest grid point
    clikcing outside the gizmo's range = max will move the selection in grid points

Hope that makes sense!
  • TychoVII
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    You're my freakin' hero dude. I'm still not crazy about having to go through an extra step (albeit a minor one), but still this was really driving me nuts in 2011. THANKYOU!