Home Technical Talk

[3ds max 2011] Frustrating lag when changing sub-object modes

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Hi guys,

I've been having this problem for a while now. It happens on 3ds max 2009 too: I get a horrible lag when changing sub-object modes or when selecting an object for the first time. 3ds max just freezes for a second or so. It feels like 3ds max is having a hard time populating the rollouts, it flickers for a while but it's not visible in the video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2gconNzxng[/ame]

What I have tried so far:
- Disabling aero
- Doing a fresh install of the latest gfx drivers
- Removing all 3rd-party plugins
- Tried DX10, same problem

A friend with a slightly inferior CPU and similar RAM/same GPU didn't notice this behavior at all on his PC.

Anybody experienced this before and knows a fix for it?

Thanks

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that's pretty bad. It reminds me of the ribbon lag when first launching it. It also reminds me of the lag when closing the UV editor in 2012... what where we talking about again? Oh yea it might be some kind of software conflict with something else that is running in the background.

Do you have any driver software that forces FSAA?

How about monitor management software like ultramon?

What kind of hardware are you running? If you can run DX10 I guess it can't be that bad.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    wow that's pretty bad. It reminds me of the ribbon lag when first launching it. It also reminds me of the lag when closing the UV editor in 2012... what where we talking about again? Oh yea it might be some kind of software conflict with something else that is running in the background.

Do you have any driver software that forces FSAA?

How about monitor management software like ultramon?

What kind of hardware are you running? If you can run DX10 I guess it can't be that bad.

I'm on a Q6600, 4GB and a 9800GT 512mb video card. I tried DX 10 but it's pretty buggy so I reverted to DX 9. It didn't fix the problem anyway.

Earlier today I downloaded a software that shuts down all unnecessary processes and background softwares, still had the same problem. This is driving me nuts.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Windows 7 or Vista ? if so, you might want to disable Aero.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Did you set a custom background in your viewport? I had that on 2010 when using a custom background gradient. Got rid of it
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I have that on 2010 all the time. That's the main reason why I prefer to work on 2009 :(
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What is that vignette effect on the viewport? Are you using anything fancy on the background? Get rid of all the shit you might have installed.

Have you tried running with opengl?
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    I get this as well... except mine "flickers" for the duration, as opposed to the lag. I raised the issue on another forum a while back, like... years ago. A lot of people had the same issue and we never did work out how to stop it.

I've sort've just learnt to "deal with it".
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Or just hide the command panel forever and don't have to deal with it. I love custom uis.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I don't have aero enabled and I disabling the viewport image didn't help either.

HP: OpenGL didn't make any difference either.

@GeeDave: Yeah it flickers too but it's not really visible on the video.

I've just tried to run on Expert Mode, didn't make any difference too...

I found another guy on youtube with the same problem:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPm-fimbY7c[/ame]
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    perna wrote: »
    that other guy just posted in this thread with the solution :)

lol

Yeah, closing all other programs improves the situation by 50% or so, but doesn't really solve the problem. Is the lag completely gone for you when you close everything else?
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Aha! I found the solution to this issue! Its got nothing to do with closing apps, although I found that helped a tiny tiny bit. To remove the problem altogether check what Windows 7 theme your using, I was using Windows Basic as I assumed it was faster. But it looks to cause this issue, switch to Windows Aero Transparency or whatever its called and the problem is magically gone!

Hope someone is around to read this as I personally have being putting my head out for months!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Don't want to be an ass but

"That's just something people have to deal with (enabling aero works in some cases)"
    Perna 8-25-11

"But it looks to cause this issue, switch to Windows Aero Transparency or whatever its called and the problem is magically gone!"
    Ichll3D 02-14-12
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12