Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Internship Creature

What's up guys. When the word got out about ArenaNet starting up their Internship Program again this year (thanks Swizzle), I expected to see a bunch of entries here. I guess some of you guys are holding it pretty close to the chest ;) Well, I know that this is the best community to help me make the best creature I can make and hopefully help me land a spot. Right now, I'm in a really bad situation and I'm trying to claw my way out! Anyways, enough of my yammerin'. Here is where I'm at so far. Still lots to do, so I'm open to any C&C you guys may have. Thanks for watching.

GuildWarsCreature_008.jpgGuildWarsCreature_007.jpgGuildWarsCreature.jpg

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Not a character artist or anything, but I think the legs are too long in your interpretation. In the concept the creature feels much stockier that your model. That could very well be because the creatures legs are bent in the concept, but even still I feel like you may want to consider shortening his legs up a bit.

Beyond that I think you've done a very good job!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    IMO another pass at the proportions and silhouette should do it- I did a quick liquify to show some slhouette changes I would make.
    notmine.jpg
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. Here's an update. Changed some proportions around and added a bit more tertiary goodness.

GuildWarsCreature_012.jpgGuildWarsCreature_011.jpg
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I really hope you kept that spikey hair geo on a seperate layer in ZBrush cause if not baking that is going to look pretttyy weird.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol ceebee. I know man. It's on a separate layer.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Marcus: Mosto f the feedback in this thread is pretty spot on. You better not drop the ball on this, I'd like to see you get that internship. Be more critical of the concepts proportions and mass and be sure to not try and render that fur into the normals. It will look bad. I can't really do paintovers for you as that's probably a conflict of interest.

Do. Work.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Hey Joe, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment dude! Don't worry, I have a firm grasp on my ball...uh...I'll try my best :) The fur is just there as a placeholder to help me get a better feel for the character.

Anyways, here is an Update. I changed the proportions, posture, and added some more detail to the body. All comments and Critique are very welcomed.

GuildWarsCreature_017.jpg

GuildWarsCreature_018.jpg
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    The legs in the concept look more like goat legs than the human legs you've given it
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Oh nice, definitely rings truer to the concept. Nice job.

I gotta ask tho, what's up with the inflamed taint? :D
    And aside from its' inclusion, I feel that it doesn't give the sense of depth that the rest of your model has. Like, in the pecs for instance, you have this nice puffy shape which folds over sharply. I think some consistency is needed across that perineum. Not to mention that its' positioning atm its pretty much capping his anus 0.o

I guess what I'm trying to say is, right now you've got a lukewarm taint on your hands... I would say either push the forms so that it has more deep recesses and bulbous shapes like the rest of the model, or just obscure it with chunkier butt flab.

But there you have it. Either way, I think you've done a good job taking everybody's crits into account. And thank you for giving me the opportunity to ponder taints this lovely Sunday morning.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! If I would add anything, it would be that his nose area is thicker in the concept. More like a straight line from the forehead to flared nostrils without a nose tip. I think it would make the creature look more brutish.

Greatest of successes to you.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm back! Unfortunately, I don't have much time to work on things as much as I would like right now (hence the situation I mentioned in the first post). Luckily for me though, the deadline is far enough for me to finish this guy. Anyways, thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them. Keep'em coming.

Marine - Dude, you had me staring at that concept for about two hours trying to figure out what was going on with his legs lol. I've decided, after careful research that he has gopher type claws and bear type legs, with a little human influence. Thanks for commenting.

Robat - Nice eye man! I didn't even think about that area because I planned to cover it with fur. Thanks for the comment.

Larkbeef - You're right about the nose. I always try to put a little hyper realism into my pieces with a little stylization. However, like you suggested, I cut the tip off because it just didn't match the concept. Thanks for the comment.

Alright guys, here's an update. I'm almost done with the sculpting and then it's time to crank out the Low Poly. I really want to do a great job on this, so if you see something wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

GuildWarsCreature_025.jpg

GuildWarsCreature_026.jpg
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, here is the Low Poly so far. I've run an auto map on it to test out the normals with the silhouette. Still need to optomize this bad boy. Let me know what you think.

LowPoly_04.jpg

LowPoly_01.jpg

LowPoly_02.jpg

LowPoly_03.jpg
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Looking good! :) I'm a big fan of his face!

The topo at the top of his head, like around the forehead, looks really dense compared to elsewhere. It just looks to me like an area where the normal map should be doing the work, and not really the topology.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Marcus, that sculpt is looking pretty strong. Your low poly tho is definitely not very optimized.

paintover_marc.jpg

I did a quick paint over, certainly hope you don't mind but I thought it might help to illustrate my points. There are areas of high dense geometry where it really isn't needed as well as not enough geo in other areas. The joints need more love and edge definition, as well as your over-all mesh flow. Be sure to define your deformation points. (1) to hold one volume, (3) to hold the second volume, and (2) edges used to deform. Around knees and elbows adding hinge edges as well as giving the "front" of the knee, and "back" of the elbow more edges will greatly help with deformation during animation.

Also I see what you're trying to do with some mesh edges with a lot of his fat folds which is great to define, but you're losing strong rings that will hurt the final "animatability" of the model. New words rock. Make sure the flow is good and then go in and get fancy with support edges for fat jiggling, support edges for muscle structures and the like.

Good luck man, I hope this helped in some way.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Your newer posts are looking closer to the concept - good job :)

I'm not sure if you're planning it, but an ambient occlusion pass and crazybump diffuse conversion from your normal map would go a long way to improving the look of the bake.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for commenting guys.

Vorge - Dude, thanks a bunch for taking the time out to do that paintover. I think it really helped me a lot. I have changed the topo and hopefully it looks better. Let me know if you see anything wrong.

foreverendering - Thanks man. Yeah, I plan to do the whole AO thing to help things pop. Right now, it's a bit muddy because it's not properly UV'ed and nothing is really getting much texture space.

Okay guys. I decided to do a quick rig, after changing the topo up, to see what my deformation is looking like. Let me know what you think.

LowPoly_05.jpg

LowPoly_06.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good bud. Don't like the maya viewport shader quality, but this is looking tip top. keep banging on it.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    This looks bad ass man. The only thing i dont like is how the fingers on his hands are meeting the claws. It is just too soft looking. Great work again :)
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Glad I could help man, that's a huge improvement to your low poly. Also going to have to echo Joe on the Maya viewport render. Otherwise it's coming along really well.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    crazy good critique vorge..
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Stoofoo - Thanks bro. Yeah, the viewport is just for wip's.

disanski - Thanks man. Yeah, with the AO, they should separate better.

itismario - Thanks dude. That is exactly why I saved those polys for later. He already has a mouth cavity though.

vorge - Thanks again for the topo help. I really appreciate it.

Okay guys, I've been struggling to get time to work on this guy (but life is full of obstacles waiting to be overcome). Anyways, I have him uv'ed, normals and AO baked, and I am currently finishing up his skin texture. Let me know what you think. Oh, and I know about the seams, I like to paint those out once I'm completely done with my colors.

LowPoly_09.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roseanne Barr?
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Update. I feel that I'm getting closer to the finish line, so if you see something off, please let me know. Thanks for watching.

LowPoly_18.jpg

LowPoly_19.jpg

LowPoly_20.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Right off the bat I'd say it's too noisy, too much red in there, the specular highlights are too sharp and the hair alphas doesn't blend into the skin. I know you're past that stage but the stomach should fold over the hips/legs, like love handles.

I feel like the hair should be more brown instead of the reddish-tone. I know you normal mapped the hair and sculpted it, but you'd probably just be better off doing regular alpha hair planes for it, and then have a simple hair texture underneath that on the diffuse.

Try to make the diffuse map support the shape of the character. Right now it's too noisy to even see some of the major muscle groups.

Spend some more time on each texture map, maybe even post them if you want too :) I like your progress so far, it's not far off from the finish-line but be sure to put in the extra effort to make sure it comes out awesome :)

EDIT:

Maybe take a look at this:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11290&page=8

WereWolfSpread.jpg
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for the critical crit man! I really appreciate it. Everything you mentioned were things I had in the back of my mind, but I guess I got blind to it after a while. Thanks a lot. Also, I would like to thank you for that ref image. I had seen it before, but never thought to check it out for this project. Anyways, thanks. Here is an update. C&C very welcomed.

LowPoly_22.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bud. This is MUCH better than the last image I saw. Still a ways to go, though.

Some things to consider:

1) where is your skin color variation? Try darkening the skin on the back and lightening areas that won't see the sun as much. If he's hunched over when he walks, the skin on his chest wont get as much sun as the back. Think of reasons to give color variation that make sense.

2) why is his fur looking like a plastic add-on? Integrate it! Look at the hair line of any animal that goes from fur or hair to skin. Staggered edges! Also consider adding shorter hair over the body. Think sean connery. He's a goddamn yeti! Right now I see 2 colors. Orange. And brown. All of our textures have a lot of color variation.

3) consider cooling down the skin overall and adding some nice reds to the creases. Right now he looks orange. Having that nice variation might make him look a little more alive.

/2 cents.

/bed
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit Joe! I really appreciate it dude!

Deadline is closing in on us, so I'm pretty much running on fumes to get this to the highest level I can. I really need this opportunity! Anyways, here is where I'm at now. As always, C&C is very welcomed.

LowPoly_25.jpg

LowPoly_26.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The hair looks a lot better than in the previous ones. The contrast on the skin looks better too. You've got some pretty obvious seams though. Where the fur meets the arm on his right arm and where his arms meet his chest are the most obvious ones. It looks like it's mipping to black or the UV is slightly off.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I like the fresher flesh color in the cuts, gives a subtle touch of goodness. The claws might need some love, they are a solid brown pretty much, refer to the concept, they have a lighter brown, almost like bone, fade. That'll help them pop a little more.

Like Zipfinater is saying, around the legs and arms, as well as up the side, the seams are fairly visible. When you bake out your highs and lows, it seems to be messing up the smoothing groups, or something. I can't really explain it, and I'm pretty sure the creature is all one smoothing group, but when xNormal does it's render (or Max's render to texture), it can create these problems.

A quick fix for the seam issue would be to export the model as a .3DS file, take that file into photoshop and fix the seams by hand. Photoshop use to crash, but the CS5 version is stable enough. I've not had it crash, yet, but it is a little laggy on updating. I find it a lot easier to fix seam issues this way, because you can see it on the model, rather than guess on the texture map. If your not familiar with this method, I'll try to find a link, or else throw up a quick tut on it.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys. About the seams... I usually like to ignore seams until I'm happy with the colors and then I paint them out with Bodypaint, Mudbox, Photoshop, etc. Thanks for chiming in though fellas. The claws are purposely dark though. I figured he looks like a burrowing kind of creature, so I tried to make his hands/claws dirtier. Anyways guys, Here he is with his Tom Selleck taco meat. Let me know what you think.

LowPoly_29.jpg
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final guys. Wish me luck. Thanks again for the help. Now, time to get back to work.

MarcusJacksonArenaNetCreatureTestBeauty.jpg

MarcusJacksonArenaNetCreatureTestTurnarounds.jpg

MarcusJacksonArenaNetCreatureTestTextureBreakdown.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    This looks really nice Marcus. Let me just say that out of all other submissions I've seen on here, the one thing that makes yours stand out to me is the emotion. Throughout your WIPs and in your final, this character had a developing personality. With the final renders, including that portrait of him showing teeth, like from the concept, really makes it come alive.

That slight turn of the head and the slightly curious look from the eyes, it really conveys a sense of life from within. You pushed the hardest thing (I would consider it hardest) to push, even more than the concept.

Love the chest hair, it's a nice touch, bringing it back from serious, to more of what the creature really is - awkward.

Great job Marcus.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Butthair,

Thanks for the compliments man. I do feel that emotion is an important factor and I do try to convey a sense of feeling in my pieces. I'm glad you noticed. Good eye!