Home› Technical Talk

3DS Max materials not on all polys

Hey Polycount, new member here and glad to be a part of this community. I work for a small game development company and I am currently teaching myself 3DS Max 2011 so I can help out our artist with environment work. I've gone through a couple tutorials and I have a pretty good grasp on the actual modeling part but now I'm moving onto unwrapping and texturing but I've hit a bit of a snag.

I've been trying to add a checkered material to my model to see where stretching is occurring and move on from there but in several instances my materials are not on all the polys of my models. This is occurred on both my home and work computer. The biggest offender is on polys that I have used the inset tool on but it has also occurred on a character model I was working on.

For instance:
I start with a single poly plane that has a checkered material on it:

01Example.png

Then I use the inset tool and you can clearly see that the material is now no longer on all the polys:

02Example.png

My initial thought was that this was an issue with the inset tool until I also had it occur on a character model I was working on:

03Example.png

I can only assume that this is a simple problem since I can replicate it on two different computers.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Replies