Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Lightbox CE3 - Model Presentation Studio

Introduction:
Hello community!
I proudly present you the new Lightbox CE3 level, especially created and optimised for CryEngine 3 Crysis 2 Editor AND FREE SDK CryEngine 3 Sandbox Editor!

In this level, you can place and render in real time the models you have created and get a professional looking render result.

The lightbox is created according to professional lighting mechanism, using the 3-point lighting system as well as more various enhancements, in order to get the best out of your model!

New in version 3.0:
• Now supports FREE SDK CryEngine 3 Sandbox Editor!
• Greenscreen Box for screenshots with easily removed green background.
• New ingame Helper for instant instructions.

General Information:
Level: Lightbox CE3
Level Type: Model presentation
---
Version: 3.0
Release Date: 11/2/2012

Download link:
Both Versions of Lightbox CE3

Features:
• For use in CryEngine 3 Sandbox Editor. Two versions included. One for Free SDK and one for Crysis 2 Editor
• Includes 3 difrent lightbox setups. For all small (weapons), medium (characters) and big (vehicles) models.
• Ideal 3 point lighting system, especially designed for model presentation.
• Fully customisable lights.
• Cameras included for taking pictures of the models.
• Trackview - 360 spin animation for turntable videos.
• NEW: GreenScreen - capture your assets in front of a green screen for easy background removal.
• Optional CryEngine 3 logo.
• Included helpers in case of difficulties.

Tips:
• When you have set up your scene and you are ready to take a screenshot,
close the rollup bar and leave only the console open so that you can write the commands.
This way you get a wide screen pic.
• Make sure all settings are maxed out for best quality.
• Do not scale or alter settings and positions of objects.
• Save the final pictures in *.png format. Jpg causes artifacts and decreases quality.
• Some objects are frozen to avoid moving them by mistake. F: Freeze, Ctrl+F: Unfreeze
• Read the ingame ReadMe panel for more info.

========
Author: Geo Piskas
E-mail: geopiskas@hotmail.com
Portfolio
Turbosquid Library

Video:
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZB6YdtRICk[/ame]

Examples:
1.jpg
Helper | Hide it with H, unhide it with Ctrl+H.

2.jpg
How to select objects in order to avioid missclicks.

3.jpg
How to change camera.

4.jpg
Example.

5.jpg
Level layout.

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This is really going to help out presentation of models, its an awsome tool for the community you made
    Thanks for this!
  • Geo Piskas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I just uploaded a new version of the Lightbox CE3!
    Version: 2.1
    Release Date: 26/9/2011
    Download link can be found in the first post.

• NEW FEAURE: Trackview - 360 spin animation for turntable videos.

Video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZB6YdtRICk&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    gotta be honest that doesn't do CE3 justice.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    wow thanks, just downloaded, looks good! I'm not familiar with CryEngine3. Could you give some tips on where highest quality settings are? Is there a console command to take a screenshot like in UDK, or do we just do it via PrintScreen?
  • Geo Piskas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean Rick? Doesn't it meet the CE3 quality or something? Can you explain please?

Thanks coots7!
    You can choose the highest settings by selecting "Config Specs" on the top menu bar, "Ultra" and "Enable DX11".
    Also, about the screenshot, as far as I know the screenshot command is still broken in CryEngine 3 editor, so for now just use printscreen! :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I have to agree with Rick, there's something off with the pictures. It's like the textures are blurry and too shiny.
  • Geo Piskas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you make some constructve comments please? :)

If you are referring to the model textures and stuff, this is not part of the lightbox. You are supposed to replace the models with your own. Also, you are free to adjust the lights as you wish..
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for your work and sharing it Geo Piskas. It defintely be handy for my next projects
  • Geo Piskas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Here is an update to the LightBox, making it avaliable for both FREE and C2 SDKs!
    Please check out the first post! smile.gif

New in version 3.0:
    • Now supports FREE SDK CryEngine 3 Sandbox Editor!
    • Greenscreen Box for screenshots with easily removed green background.
    • New ingame Helper for instant instructions.

General Information:
    Level: Lightbox CE3
    Level Type: Model presentation
    ---
    Version: 3.0
    Release Date: 11/2/2012
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I'm gonna try this out.

EDIT:

OK, I gotta agree with Rick. This lightbox system does not utilize many of the features that make CryEngine 3 great.
    The environement needs to be more interesting, like a showroom. A dome with an easily accessible HDR sphere could also be interesting.
    Otherwise you can't really show off the amazing lighting through the use of environment-probes/HDRIBL and SSR in the case of Crymod 2.

Also, motion blur is killing the video turntables.
  • Geo Piskas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback Compitron!

Why bother decorating the enviroment around the lightbox though? I don't get the point...

Can you also explain me your thoughts about the dome you mentioned? I'm sorry but I didn't get it..

As for the motion blur, you can lower the speed of the animation and adjust the pivot to the middle of the object.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I understand that this is a lightbox, but using a big white box to show off how an engine will render your assets doesn't make much sense for Cryengine. It's like showing off an environment you built in UDK with only baking direct lighting.

For example, If you want to show off hard surface assets, you want to have more dramatic lighting so that your beveled edges will catch more specular highlights and an interesting scene to reflect in your glossy surfaces. your lightbox has 2-3 lights, but the background is a solid white diffusely lit box. One of my biggest reasons for using Cry3 is the lighting, and a big part of that is environment-probes/IBL and accurate reflections, but there is none of that in a white box. A side effect of this is that for glossy metallic surfaces, SSR will look very strange in closeups. if you got Crymod 2, zoom in on the Big alien, and watch the SSR as he spins.

TL: DR =

Look at how crytek would settup a stage to show off their assets:
    50 seconds in

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgrrrzJS89s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgrrrzJS89s[/ame]

Notice how they have a lot of lights in a mostly dark scene? Notice the part with Image Based Lighting?
    MAKE THIS!