Home Technical Talk

3D Max 2012 UVW Target Weld Behaviour

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
Hi folks in Max 2011 I had could target weld any vertex in the UVW Editor or grab a group and hit ctrl + w and weld selection such as ... [ame]

In Max 2012 It seems to weld the blue / open verts but nothing else such as [ame]

Is there a tick box to revert back to Max 2011 settings or has this type of welding been lost to the sands of time?

Thanks for your help and time

p.s. I have the 2 hotfixs and service pack installed, running in dx9 on a geforce 9800 gtx.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Bump. No one else has discovered this? I'm trying to weld mirrored vertices without success.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one Mirrors Uvs in Max 2012???
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet the W coords are really far apart. Switch to UW, flatten on W, switch back, presto!
  • milki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same here. its not problem of W coordinate.
    target weld "works" this way too
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As said that isnt the issue. I still find it hard to believe there are so few of us using 2012 that work with UVs...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I still haven't touched 2012 to this date, but I guess there are still UV editor related issues to be fixed.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone figured out anything for this?

Its gotten to the point that I cant even use normalize without having to realign each mirror every.single.time.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I use 2012 at work and at home, and frankly I can feel your pain. I don't have a specific workaround for your issue, as I don't manually weld verts much at all, but I can sympathize with how unfinished or non-functional many of the most useful features we have come to know and love.

I know with Unfold Mapping (broken) you have to manually re-weld verts back together after unfolding. You basically get ONE unfold mapping per section that actually welds the verts correctly, otherwise all of your shells are broken into individual segments for no obvious reason.

My unfold operation works like this - Select Faces, Unfold Map, move shell out of the way, switch to vert mode, hit Control+W TWICE for the weld to work. Also no idea why I have to weld twice, but that's the workaround.

I'm testing just plain ol' weld right now to repro your steps and having the same problem. It simply won't weld.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope they fix this before 2013 version. Its pretty ridiculous such basic functions aren't working even after sp1.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Do try and actually get word of this out to Autodesk. I know it's a bit silly, but many times they just don't know that this is broken, since many people expect them to just find out themselves.
    You're probably thinking that beta testers of 2013 and so should report this, but honestly, and a few people here can attest to this as well, 90% or more of these beta testers are people that are only interested in the new features and don't provide much usefull feedback about real bugs.
    Ken Pimentel, an autodesk director (who visits polycount), is a good person to start talking to.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Why don't you use the snap ? In fact, i've always found pretty weird that you could weld unrelated vertices together. I doubt it is supported by other engines.
    I don't see its utility over snap and imo it can produces later issues. I see this more like a fix tbh.
  • Can Alpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2014 and still have same issue
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    since max 2012 or so you cant weld vertices anymore which are not connected in 3d as well.
    seems like the newer max version dont allow uv islands without true outline anymore.

try create a plane with 2 segemnts x and 2 segments y
    now do a symetrical split of 2 uv segements (2 y or 2 x) and mirrow them and lay on top of the others. if you try to merge, you will notice that you only can weld the vertices where the mesh in 3d is connected as well. the outer ones you cant weld.