Home Technical Talk

ZBrush 4 polypaint-to-texture

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
Hello all,

I've recently been using zbrush to create a texture map that i was wanting to import in to 3DsMax and bake it out.
On the tool menu set i am able to get a little texture icon on the "texture map" bitty, but i can't seem to get that into the texture menu set. Had a look around the net and if my understanding is correct this has been a problem for a couple of people - there is a work around with modo, but i don't have a proper understanding of this program to give the work around a try.

SO! I was wondering if anyone could help me, cheers! =D

Replies

• Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it working - needed to click "cone txtr" button.

Got it in 3Ds Max now and the problem i am having now is that a lot of the planes seem to have flipped themselves around in the transfere?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    not sure how you exported it but if it is a regular export,import you will have to go the your material, bitmap properties and change the tilling for "v" to -1. Let me know if you cant find it :0
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    got it working - needed to click "cone txtr" button.

Got it in 3Ds Max now and the problem i am having now is that a lot of the planes seem to have flipped themselves around in the transfere?

ZBrush wants its textures flipped vertically for some reason. After you Clone Texture you can go into the Texture menu at the top of the screen and click the Flip V button to quickly flip it the right way round. Likewise if you import a texture and need to flip it upside down to apply it to a model inside ZBrush.
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the help guys - i tried rotating the texture image like you said, before putting it in to 3DsMax. And that seems to have put MOST of the texture into it's correct place, there are still some gaps ?
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    A screenshot would help but I'll take a wild guess that you made a base mesh with UVs, subdivided it in ZBrush and tried to apply the result back to the unaltered basemesh in another program.

Subdividing in ZBrush alters the base mesh and the UV's along with it. Generally you're exporting a decimated mesh to retopo around & bake, but you can also drop down to 0 or 1 subdivisions and export the new base mesh and apply texture to that if the new shape works for you.

If you really want to make a finished base first and use it, you can try dropping down to level 0 and re-importing the base. You should get a popup asking to reproject high res details. Say yes and extract the texture once it's done.