Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Rising! UDK Scene

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Been working on this here and there whenever i have some free time, i wanted to do something simple that i could finish.

I think im at a point where critiques and suggestions could take this scene to the next level :)

DeadRising06.jpg

Below is an animated progression gif that i created to show the progression of the scene:

DeadRising07.gif

Cheers,

Arman

Replies

• imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, the mesh and lighting work looks solid. For the kind of place this is, a stronger and more prominent dirt & grime pass would do it great good. Also, try tweaking, making the lighting more dramatic outside of the hallway and have those objects cast shadows (or at least, more accurate ones). Right now they look like they're floating on top of the pavement. Good work so far overall, keep going!
  • Sojiira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojiira polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed with imijatov, and maybe some blood streaks like someone being dragged towards the doors and some cheap shadowy figures in the back might be cool, dunno how well that would read. But yea cool scene!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    just did a quick paintover for lighting / color grading / subtle grime on the walls. Brightness might be horrid because my monitors are weird though. I thought a darker atmosphere might be nice as well.

paintover.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm not sure how I feel about the exit sign, its kinda distracting and boring, also wouldn't the loading area be the exit, because trucks have to be able to drive there?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Guys,

thanks for the crits!

@imijatov&Sojiira: thanks for the suggestions guys ill be sure to take them into consideration, i do need to make the foreground more dramatic.

@Lincoln: i really appreciete the paintover and im going to try to go for a darker feel that you have portrayed which looks really cool.

@ZacD: hey man what would you think would fit better? i wanted the exit sign so i could get another light in there to break up what i had.

Cheers,

Arman
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like a good start, don't know if making it much darker is a great idea though, I remember most of dead rising feeling quite bright, I also noticed a lot of the maintenance corridors had a lot of gloss and specular on the walls and floors.
    Not too sure about the fog either, i think its a little too strong, maybe you could use just a little depth of field instead of the fog?
    Anwyay keep it up.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You have a dirty lightmap compression in the corridor, maybe increase the lm size to get better gradients.

Also, this might be nitpicky but since it a very small scene:

temp.jpg

You may as well focus on small things. :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    very nice Arman...very nice.
    the only thing i could suggest is that you... add more alpha cracks into the "Loading Area"...
    but other then that very nice.
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    I too see some sort of blood smear as though a body was dragged across the floor.
    there is a couple shadows that are distracting to me, particularly around the power panel on the left and above the door frame. I personally am not found of the exit sign and the glow around it seems to intense. Maybe a large clock instead?!... just a suggestion. You could maybe add some compressed air canisters, and or some fallen pipes, and or tack board. I think the addition of something in the extreme foreground in the shadows like a forklift or shelf could help give the impression of the scene being viewed from hiding. that with the addition of a silhouette of a zombie in the end of the hallway (as suggested earlier) would really help build the tension in the scene and sell it.

It looks great Arman. I look forward to the end result.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    you guys are awesome gotten alot of ideas from this thread! love all the suggestions have written them down and will go home and make sure to incoparate them into the scene.

@ParoXum: that actually a chamfer, but not knowing that it would look like a lightmap issue.

@Mistry: thanks buddy, come back so we can fist pump together!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ae. maybe you should just make the EXIT font bolder and have the emissive strong in the horizontal middle of the text.

2Y2hF.jpg
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    The first thing I noticed was that even despite the plain white texture, I could still see the tiling repetition. It's that little notice at the lower right corner of the brick. Can you see it? I can and it drives me mad.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    It feels very empty to me. I would like to see more objects in the scene. More boxes, bottles, carts for moving boxes on pallets, maybe some hanging wires here and there. filler objects like that. I haven't been following Dead Rising too much, but do you think that a blood covered awesome looking ax would work somewhere? I think that would be awesome.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Im with Strife. It just seems to me that the whole scene looks too horizontal and vertical. It would be nice if something broke up that square look. Maybe you could have objects in there with more curves and perpendicular lines like hanging wires from a fuse box, broken shelves, tipped oil drums, etc. Like those two doors that are open one could be broken into with it hanging off the hinge. It just looks too clean. Show some more zombie outbreak damage damnit!!:)

Also why it the Exit light tilted? I don't see really anything around it being disturbed for just that one light to be tilted.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    The CMU blocks joint placement is a bit weird/wrong and they aren't chamfered like that in real life. Typically when you see a column like that with chamfered edges it is made of concrete.

Cmu block outside corner:
    http://precisionprecastsc.com/page4.html
    http://cadlibrary.com/files/corner-detail-6-inch-cmu-wall.html

Conc column:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Curing-concrete-columns_796.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    ae. wrote: »
    @ParoXum: that actually a chamfer, but not knowing that it would look like a lightmap issue.

Not speaking about the chamfer in the pic neither the lightmap, speaking about the bricks joints being not masonry-able.

For the lightmaps I was speaking of the tunnel gradients being uber compressed maybe due to it being low res. :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Not speaking about the chamfer in the pic neither the lightmap, speaking about the bricks joints being not masonry-able.

For the lightmaps I was speaking of the tunnel gradients being uber compressed maybe due to it being low res. :)

ooops sorry mis-read it :P thanks for clearing it up :thumbup:
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    i've always wanted to remake a scene from DR2, i'm loving the way this scene is turning out though i agree it could use some more clutter

lincolnhughes' paintover looks good but I would avoid making it too dark, DR2 has such a distinct vivid style you shouldn't be shy to utilize bold, bright lighting.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Tokoya, i do agree that the dead rising series has a bolder visual style when it comes to its textures and lighting compared to games like left 4 dead, that said i will try making it a wee darker as Lincoln has demonstrated by his paint over to see how it works with the scene overall.

this weekend i will be doing a clutter pass adding papers on the ground more grunge and debris. also moving the exit sign and replacing it with a huge air conditioner that is spewing smoke.

Lighting is my weakest area especially within UDK :P so i will be tackling that last.

I think most off the feedback given so far is amazing though has given me alot of new ideas cant wait to throw them in.

Cheer,

Arman
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    ae. wrote: »
    @ZacD: hey man what would you think would fit better? i wanted the exit sign so i could get another light in there to break up what i had.

Since you're about to clutter it up, how about a box of glowsticks or maybe even one of those glowy plastic swords from 1.

Get clutter + lightsources! Also, queens glow @ night :poly142:

Edit: to expand on it, I think you could kill the 'exit sign' mostly so that its still there, maybe a victim Frank's random gunfire or one of the nutters, just at partial operation so its not as eye catching.

You could also expand on really juicing the light sources with all of the wonderfully glowy gadgets and items from dead rising.
    Glowswords, Neon Dildo's, beer-bong hat with glow sticks half working dangling. Frank has a lot of crazy shit he finds and builds and this is a perfect opportunity to really spice up the lighting with some of those spoils of war.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    ae. maybe you should just make the EXIT font bolder and have the emissive strong in the horizontal middle of the text.

2Y2hF.jpg

Um yeah. You could also add some parallax to the light so it looks like it is actually inside the housing and behind the plastic. It is subtle but does add nice touches.

Nice work so far.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Since you're about to clutter it up, how about a box of glowsticks or maybe even one of those glowy plastic swords from 1.

That is a great idea, this thread has me starting DR2 again xD
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    yeah so when i said i was gonna work on this i really meant i was gonna slack off, didn't do much just playing with dirt and grime and added some props.

post/lighting wise i went really crazy dont know if its better or worse been staring at it too long that is why i post it for polycount to crit :P

DeadRising07.jpg

Still need to add all the props and ideas people suggested so ill get on to that this week hopefully.

Cheers,

Arman

quick edit:
    The loading zone decal is projecting over the grim decal need to fix that.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I like it :) the fog indoors might be a tad too much. Maybe just continue something down the hall? not sure if it's going to be better though, how does it look with less fog?

Either way, nice work man :)
  • Ack Master
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a quicky paint over :) sorry, it would be nice
    A: to draw the eye down the hall way, so i blew out the light on the door, and added the zombie shadow.. you told me you were gonna do that
    B: Lowered saturation on wood,
    C: Yellow push cart thing..
    D: Brightened blood puddle. just a little shine to it. not sure if thats in dead rising.
    E: Brightened the lighting on the vents of the air conditioner and lowered the saturation on the vent itself tried to blend into the forground as much as i could so my eye isnt drawn to it. Rather drawn to the hallway.
    F: Darkned muchly the end of the hall way. Less fog more contrast in black vs white.

Other then that going great :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yea! i am loving this, i like the gritty look. I would say that the black makes it look smudged in a bad way, like photoshoped and overlayed. Have you tried playing with the hue of the core shadows that you have? Also, i agree with the fog, it might be a little overkill. Maybe if you add depth of field and add some lights in the back to direct the eye it would be more practical. Also the yellow loading zone could be a little worn down. So far really good stuff! can't wait to see where you take this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ae., you've been a member here for a while now and I've seen a lot of your art in the past so I have to ask you this: Why did you make this?

Why, of all the locals in Dead Rising, did you pick a white hallway with some doors and electrical equipment? If you remove the logo from the corner of this image, its your standard run-of-the-mill entry level portfolio piece.

Where is the challenge in this piece? You said you wanted something that you could quickly, but this is just silly. Especially for you. Students who are doing 3D for the first time would choose something like this to learn the ins & outs of their 3D package(s) and game engine.

I would expect that someone who's been around the block a few times now would want to find something that while being 'quick to finish' is also somewhat of a challenge. Right now, this is just a boring wall, some boring doors, storage items and blood on the floor.

What you've done, you've done well, but I feel this is too good an example of some uninspiring game art.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'll say this, if you don't fix that goddamn cmu joint placement, I am going to be fucking pissed. I know it will probably be a pain in the ass, because you will have to model a separate static mesh for the columns, or paint a separate texture for those outside corners, but it is killing me.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @adam: Hey man thanks for posting i totally agree with you on the matter of how un interesting a hallway is but having made one yourself:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/22WT_ingame_sheet04.jpg

you should know the challenge is not in making the hallway but its in making it Eye catching and interesting.

Yeah i could go make a robot server wall machine thats a million polygons and takes ages to finish, but i know at the end of the day ill probably get bored of it half-way through and not finish and never have anything in my portfolio until one of the games im working on releases.

Ill do my best to make the scene interesting :)

@8FtSpider: hey man i feel you :P ill be sure to fix that but it will probably be in a later update. right now im going to focus on making props for the scene.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Ive been watching this thread from the beginning, and I must say I was thinking similar thoughts as Adam. From the looks of your website, it seems that you worked on mass effect 2!? Yet you are making this really basic scene. Not only is the scene super basic, but its also super boring and unimpressive. I looked at some of your other work and its really good compared to this.

The silhouettes in this scene are KILLING it right now, its box after box After Box, and you even added card board box props on top of it. Add some objects that will break up the right angles dude. You are in the world of 3d, you can do anything.... O_O well almost.

Also add some drop shadows to the objects on the wall, they dont look like they are mounted but instead floating on the surface. Looks like currently you just have AO.

I'm guessing that the loading zone is outside? If so add some nice warm sunlight to the white wall and then have the dark cool creepy inside. It would provide some nice contrast. Also add some elements so we know that its outside. maybe some grass poking through the cracks in the concrete.

Finally I'm not buying the fan above the door way, I'm not sure why though. maybe the dark outline around if from maybe the AO? idk.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ill be replacing the boxes with some round gas canisters, just wanted to get a quick update out with proper normals on the air conditioning unit also a bunch of small tweaks.

DeadRising08.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh I know I have a hallway on my website and its not terribly impressive ;) It was more to support the robot than the focus itself.

My feedback sounds harsh, sorry if I offended. You're someone I particularly enjoy seeing push themselves so I was a bit taken back by this project. As I said, what you've done is really well done I just think the subject matter is a little too familiar with the game art community.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    Oh I know I have a hallway on my website and its not terribly impressive ;) It was more to support the robot than the focus itself.

My feedback sounds harsh, sorry if I offended. You're someone I particularly enjoy seeing push themselves so I was a bit taken back by this project. As I said, what you've done is really well done I just think the subject matter is a little too familiar with the game art community.

I still love you adam <3

Ill be sure to go Uber in my next endeavor :thumbup:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The brick texture doesn't feel very believable to me.

Maybe it's overly consistent. I'd prefer to see a few bricks recessed a bit more, with others extruded a little more. Also it's too uniformly shiny.

Overall it's very well done, but just feels 'fake'.

Especially (as other have mentioned) the bricks on the corners are particularly 'fake'.
    It doesn't seem like they would make 2" bricks just for corners. Maybe if the tiling isn't working out, add some kind of trim to cover it.

And I do partially agree with what Adam mentioned.

For a zombie scene, I'd have wanted to see a lot more torn-down walls, a toppled roof, maybe grass growing from cracks to show the age.... graffiti in blood... dismembered body parts... etc.

Dunno, something that conveys a lot more 'story' to it, than just a generic unkept basement scene. The only thing about it that makes me think it belongs in a Zombie world is the text 'Dead Rising'.

Youre uber artist! make it more uber plz.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Start a new scene man. Goes without saying that yeah, you could spend ages trying to make a bad composition and overall boring scene interesting by slamming a ton of props into it. It's best to just do something else that is more interesting and go from there.

Here's an example of a cluster f%$k that I did a few years back

Don't make the same mistake

4.jpg4.jpg4.jpg4.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    adam wrote: »
    Where is the challenge in this piece? You said you wanted something that you could quickly, but this is just silly. Especially for you. Students who are doing 3D for the first time would choose something like this to learn the ins & outs of their 3D package(s) and game engine.

I imagine the challenge would be not just to make something, but to make something well and get practice at things like material definition and composition.

AE, personally I think your AO is waaay overblown. It's not a very dark room so why is there pitch black in every corner!