Home Technical Talk

Maya - NURBS to Poly question

Nomus
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nomus polycounter lvl 5
Hello i have a noob question that gives me trouble. I made a NURBS model and want to convert it in poly according to the tutorial i watch. SO when i conver a thing from NURBS to poly i have 2 models and when i try to move poly model it's ok but when i try to move\delete NURBS thing the poly model of that NURBS model moves\delete with it. That gives me a lot of trouble and i need to detach NURBS model from poly to the first thing will not affect the other thing. So please tell me how to do that.

Replies

• dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    delete the history on the poly object, then you can delete the nurbs object, just select the poly object then edit>delete by type> history
  • Nomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomus polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you so much!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    no problem man :)
  • Nomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomus polycounter lvl 5
    In contuniation of that topic(i dont wanna create new topics) i have a problem. I converted poly to SubDiv (deleting all the history) and somehow my subdiv attached to the poly so i can't move it or delete one or another when i try to click subdiv model poly selects too and vice verca but i can transform poly whatever i like without touching subdiv(it will not affect) so i need to delete poly without deleting subdiv how do i make it? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/wtfykp.jpg/
  • rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    sometimes maya keeps conections between objects even tho history has been deleted ( also if you've instanced groups that can also cause problems ), can you show a screenshot of the outliner with "show DAG objects only" turned off ?

My solution would be to :
    - first combine the poly object with a cube (select cube first then your poly object, then hit combine), that should sever any connections with the broken subdiv object,
    -than make a copy of the poly object and convert that to subdiv (allways keep an original poly, never know when you might need it)

The poly object you converted to subdiv isn't a result of the nurbs to poly conversion you did earlier is it? If so the poly could have some funky nodes left over, combining it with a cube should fix that.
    Also if you're trying to convert poly to subdiv and then to nurbs, it will allmost never be worth it, i've never seen a clean result that wouldn't have been made quicker wih nurbs from the start
  • Nomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomus polycounter lvl 5
    It worked! Thank you so much sir.