Home Technical Talk

bend modifier, modular piece HELP

nicafornica
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
Hi i have these modular pieces, but one is a corner piece I applied a bend modifier but the smug bastard piece is giving me problems texture wise. I can make it fit and all, is just that the texture is being warped!

would it be best to just create corner pieces apart from the modular sets? I have not had much experience with corner round pieces.

helphj.jpg

the curb is fine but the brick I don't know how to fix.

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    You can't totally fix that issue, only make it less noticeable. To make it look better you need the same number of verts in the curve at both ends. Right now the back of the curved section collapses to one vert. The more verts you add overall to the curve will also help. This will only minimize the problem you'll still have shearing no matter what since you're mapping a square texture around a corner that has less surface area at the back. The other option is to make a specific texture that actually has the curve painted into it and then just planar map that modular piece.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed it somehow. It increased the polycount though only because I wanted that curb curve smooth and just this part is somewhat modular but for corners though. does anyone know how to bend a texture in photoshop or would I have to find a circular brick pattern?

Here is the fix

fixedco.jpg

ahh yes I have to fix the tiling as it is obvious.
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I would go the route of just modeling a curve modular piece, one positive and one negative. It wouldn't take long, since you already have the right idea of using the bend deformer, delete history, and then place the texture where you need.

To answer your question, Edit -> Transform -> Warp is probably your best bet on bending a texture evenly.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Why would you want to have bent stones anyway?

What you have in the last pic looks correct if you are going for "PHOTO-RE4LZ"
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i will keep it as is thanks a lot for the advice fellows. i will post more whenever i have it somewhat more presentable.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I thought you were building a sidewalk from the previous shot. Yeah just go with the cut in curb as you have it now.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it is a curb but the curve will serve as a parking space. It is a three way street. i will post pics to see what i am trying to do.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    bending textures in photoshop is easy as pie:

take your texsture
    go to image > canvas size > size in % by 1 / what portion you wand
    so if you want to bend the image to have a right angle simply increase horizontal size the size by 400% (you want your image on the left, not the middle)

then add a polar coordinate filter

then resize the image so make it square (you could do that before bending too)

after the image is square and bent you see the quader you need

-> DONE!
    bent%20bricks.jpg

Edit: to make it look fine you probably should strectch some brick on the inner side (before bending the upper side)to use the space of two 3 or four bricks depending of the amount of being on the upside
    (
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx a lot arrangemonkey it will be useful later on on this same project.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    What you have there looks fine!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    dont call me arrangemonkey, i wont help anymore :P
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh good i am sorry i filled out the rest i see you are a monk ! not a monkey lol sorry about that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bricks00.jpg
    Why not take a step back and use bend on some basic brick shapes and use those as a base to create your materials?

Bricks01.jpg
    Same idea but you're taking a step back and dropping your dependance on a straight brick material. Instead you would be shaping the bricks to match how they would be shaped in real life.

Bricks02.jpg
    If you keep the geometry pretty low using a bend modifier won't distort or curve the bricks.
    If you instance the bricks working on one works on all of them.

Bricks03.jpg
    Once you have them all curved you can subdivide them and use sculptris, zbrush, mudbox, 3dcoat bla bla bla whatever... to give them some light details. From there you can bake out some maps and create some great looking assets.

This straight edge, angled brick shape is pretty much how brick layers/masons do curved brick patterns, so why not mimic their workflow a bit? Especially considering you can mirror, tile and work symmetrically like you've been doing.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great idea. I'll keep this techniques for this same project but for other parts. i never thought of doing it that way and it sounds like a good solution as well. like they say there is more than one way to skin a frog or what animal was it?