Home Technical Talk

Normals aren't being exported/ saving.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
myles polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
So everytime I edit the normals of my mesh and create an edit poly modifier, the normals are being reset, also I noticed that if I export my meshes to ase/ fbx and import to udk that my normals are reset again. I can only presume these two issues are linked.
I'm sure Im just missing something really simple, but some help would be apprecaited!

This is how the normals look edited, this is how they look after I have created an edit poly modifier, also these are the settings im exporting .ase with. These are the import settings into UDK and this is how the normals look ingame = :(

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried just moving the Edit Normals modifier to the top of the stack?

Just a guess here, but making a new editable poly might be switching your normals back to being perpendicular from faces. Since the normal info is stored within the face itself...the edit poly is probably snapping everything back to where it should be.

See what moving it up the stack does for you.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Try using an edit Mesh Modifier instead of edit Poly. Edit Mesh preserves edited vertex normals.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afaik you need to use .FBX to preserve vertex normals, and if that alone doesn't do the trick, collapse the stack before export (sucks I know, keep an uncollapsed copy). UDK also has had issues, atleast in the past, where when reimporting an exisitng mesh by right-clicking it and going "Reimport Mesh", custom normals where ignored - if that seems to happen, reimport the mesh as if from scratch and let it overwrite and you should be fine. Also ofcourse you need to have Explicit Normals checked in the import dialog :P
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Piflik: Thanks a lot man, that solved the max problem, derp!
    rasmus: Indeed the Explicit Normals could have been the problem, I didn't see so many import options!

Thanks everyone! :)